Fort Worth Jewish Archives - 204 Matching Results

Search Results

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom and its Hebrew Institute]

Description: Exterior photograph of Congregation Ahavath Sholom and the Hebrew Institute in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth. The building on the right with the arched windows is the synagogue of Congregation Ahavath Sholom, which was constructed in 1906. Next door is the Hebrew Institute, constructed in 1910. From 1910 until 1951 the Hebrew Institute served as a place for Hebrew School classes and meetings. It also had a gymnasium and a banquet hall. There are two "For Lease" signs on the front of the building. Adhered to the front of the photograph is a typed piece of paper which says "By 1950, downtown skyscrapers dwarfed Ahavath Sholom Synagogue and the Hebrew Institute at 819 Taylor Street." In 1951, Ahavath Sholom sold the downtown properties to the Danciger family. The synagogue was razed to create a parking lot. The Hebrew Institute was renamed the Danciger Building and converted into office space. The Federal Building now occupies this stretch of Taylor Street.
Date: unknown

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Certificate, 1934]

Description: A certificate of confirmation presented to Fay Rosenthal of the 1934 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. The certificate is signed by congregation Vice President L. F. Shanblum, Secretary Irving Klotzman, and Rabbi Philip Graubart. The confirmation class motto reads, "An Exalted Jewish Womanhood." The certificate has a gold seal with blue and white ribbons on it. At the top of the certificate, there is a picture of the Ten Commandments tablets.
Date: 1934

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1932]

Description: Copy photograph of the 1932 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are eleven girls in white dresses, holding bouquets and standing in a line on a platform. Their teacher, Jennie Moses (Winkler), and Rabbi Philip Graubart are standing in front of them. The students are Sylvia Engler (Roberts), Jesonda Gilbert (Fox), Sadye Maye Carshon (Garsek), Bessie Resnick, Lillian Rose Rabinowitz (Rosenthal), Rebecca Laves, Pearl Paul, Gussie Kruger, Dorothy Dworkin (Glazer), Sarah Weisblatt (Kragen), and Rhoda Kershner.
Date: 1932

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1949]

Description: Photograph of the 1949 confirmation class of at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are four girls in white dresses, holding bouquets and standing in a line. One boy stands at the center in the front row in a dark suit and tie. The teachers, Helen Levenson and Charlotte Siegel, and Rabbi Charles Blumenthal and Rabbi Isadore Garsek are standing behind them. The group is posed on the bimah (altar) at the synagogue. The students are Sandra Zaetler, Pearl Katz, David Rubin, Barbara Walensky, and Lillian Sankary.
Date: May 29, 1949

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1956]

Description: Photograph of the 1956 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are six girls in white robes and five boys in dark robes and bow ties. Rabbi Isadore Garsek and Cantor A. Friedman stand in the back row. The students are Sandra Leona Berkowitz, Elaine Schwartz, Linda Ellen Grenadier, Frances Jay Friedman, Maxine Stein, Janet Marilyn Siegel, Harry David Pila, Harry Sherwin Bailin, Morton Alan Levenson, Alvin Daiches, and Cordell Green.
Date: May 13, 1956

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1957]

Description: Copy photograph of the 1957 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are seven girls in white robes and fourteen boys in dark robes and bow ties. Rabbi Isadore Garsek stands in the back center with them. The students are Cheryl Leff, Sylvia Lynn Cooles, Jeanie Labovitz, Debbie Brachman, Charlsa Sarvis, Jerilyn Cohen, Davida Rae Applebaum, Paul Weisblatt, David Garsek, Allen Hendelman, Marvin Tills, Bobby Rashti, Marshall Kragen, Jack Rubin, Allen Grenadier, Jack Marks, Michail Ben Cohen, Michael Carter, Louis Siegel, Allen Schuster, and Donald Stanley. They are pictured on the bimah (alter) of the synagogue.
Date: June 2, 1957

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1960]

Description: Photograph of the 1960 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are four girls in white robes and six boys in black robes with bow ties. Rabbi Isadore Garsek stands in the center of the back row with them. The students are Carol Shannahoff, Laurel Beth Kimbrell, Annetta Lichtman, Marsha Berger, Sidney Cohen, Stanley Spigel, Marvin Meinstein, Gay Coplin, Larry Daiches, and Ivan Beckhoff.
Date: May 29, 1960

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1962]

Description: Photograph of the 1962 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are eleven girls in white robes and six boys in black robes and bow ties. Rabbi Isadore Garsek stands with them at the center in the back row wearing a tallis (prayer shawl). The students are Barbara Carol Tills, Ellen Beth Victor, Veronica Doskal, Rita Jean Battat, Carol Anne Cohen, Rosalyn Katz, Rochelle D. Berliner, Lana Laves, Pamela Rose Seigel, Vivian Levine, Dee Ann Stanley, Jerry Allen Paul, Stuart Schuster, Harry Saginaw, Harold Eisenman, Bernard White, and Darryl Rotenberg.
Date: June 3, 1962

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1967]

Description: Photograph of the 1967 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are five girls wearing white robes and ten boys wearing dark robes with bow ties standing on the bimah (alter). Rabbi Isadore Garsek stands with the students at the far right of the third row. Cantor Shimon Berris stands with the students at the far left of the second row. The students are Ann Schwartz, Linda Fleischmann, Shelly Goldberg, Terry Katzman, Kathy Lewis, Stanley Cohen, Irwin Blum, Allan Rosenthal, Ricky Cooper, Sheldon Jacobson, Kenneth Luskey, Howard Katz, Gary Leva, Allen Hamill, and Sidney Golden.
Date: June 11, 1967
Creator: Don Barnett Photography

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1968]

Description: Photograph of the 1968 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are seven girls wearing white robes and six boys wearing dark robes with bow ties. Rabbi Isadore Garsek stands at the far right in the first row, while Cantor Shimon Berris stands at the far left of the first row. The students are Barbi Garsek, Ava Fleischmann, Debbie Goodwin, Judith Beckoff, Linda Rice, Rene Moses, Lynn Fishbein, Mark Lidell, Henry Wolff, Tommy Sankary, Thomas Paul, Murray Cohen, and Steve Robinson.
Date: May 1968

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1971]

Description: Photograph of the 1971 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are twelve girls wearing white robes and nine boys wearing dark robes with bow ties standing on steps. Rabbi Isadore Garsek stands with the students in the center of the back row. The students are Paul Solomon, Janice Rubin, Stephanie Kahn, Holly Berkowitz, Jan Schumer, Jackie Schumer, Madelyn Singer, Ruth Fischbein, Cheryl Blum, Brian Kimmel, Ira Goldstein, Elaine Bergolofsky, Carol Luskey, Stephanie Rocher, Janet Myers, Mark Rosenman, David Rosen, Alan Rubin, Allen Eisenman, Harry Tabor, and Bruce Roseman.
Date: May 1971

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1973]

Description: Color photograph of the 1973 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are nine girls wearing white robes and six boys wearing black robes with bow ties. Cantor Murray Neiman, Rabbi Isadore Garsek, and Elliot Garsek stand in the center of the back row. The rabbi and cantor each wear a tallis (prayer shawl). The students are Robin Levine, Gayle Gerrick, Hilda Adelson, Linda Rubin, Paula Rosen, Marsha Ann Weinberg, Betsy Rosenthal, Elisa Kaplan, Judy Weinberg, Larry Rosen, David James Cody, Mark Goldstein, Sandy Kreisberg, David Hecht, and Daniel Jonathan Cohen.
Date: June 3, 1973

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1997]

Description: Color photograph of the 1997 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are three girls wearing white robes and five boys wearing white robes and ties on the bimah (alter). Their teacher, Judy Grossbard, and Rabbi Sidney Zimelman are standing with them. The students are Terry Schuster, Stephanie Berlin, Bo Miller, Darcy Labovitz, Brian Toobin, Eric Schuster, Ryan Howard, and Daryl Goldberg.
Date: May 1997

[Consecration Class of 1951]

Description: Consecration Class of 1951 at Beth-El Congregation in Fort Worth. Standing on the far left is Rabbi Milton Rosenbaum holding the Torah. Standing in the back is first-grade teacher Amelia Rosenstein. The consecration ushers children into their religious school studies.
Date: unknown

[Consecration Class of 1965]

Description: Consecration Class of 1965, Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. In the back row, religious school director Lil Goldman holds a lulav, a bouquet of season greens. Rabbi Robert Schur holds the Torahs. First row: Rusty Feld, Gayle Margolis (Sondecker), Polly Boardman, Michael Altman, Cathy Sanford, Lee Denbina, Daniel Blumberg, Tami Hoffman (Jara). Second row: Bob Davis, Douglas Samson, Aaron Siegel, Julie Evans (Johnson), Daniel Krakower, Patricia Livne, Sharie Freed (Stein), Pamela Cody ( Baer), Debby Kleinman Third row: Religious school director Lilaine Goldman, 1st grade teacher Amelia Rosenstein, student aide Valerie Hall, Rabbi Robert J. Schur Not pictured: James Bennett
Date: unknown

[Consecration Class of 1985]

Description: Consecration class of 1985, Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. First row: Ben Blumberg, Henry Smith, Danny Schwartz, Emily Hoffman, Sharon Bzostek Second row: Joshua Sigman, Haley Florsheim, Joan Miller, Brian Abrams, Julia Schwartz, Lori Miller Third row:: Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, religious school director Ellen Mack, Rabbi Robert J. Schur, 1st grade teacher Judy Bogomol
Date: unknown

[Consecration Class of 2006]

Description: Consecration class of 2006 at Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. Kindergarten teachers Libbe Berger; Lauren McCormick, Religious school director Ilana Knust, and Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger. The alter or "bimah" is new at the temple Beth-El, 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth.
Date: unknown

[Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery]

Description: Photograph of the 1898 funeral of David Linsky (1850-1898) at Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery in the 1400 block of S. Main Street in Fort Worth. Many horse-drawn buggies and drivers surround the cemetery, which is on a dirt street two miles south of downtown. Linsky, 48, was a member of Woodmen of the World, a fraternal lodge which provided the tombstone for his grave.
Date: 1898

[Exterior, Beth-El Congregation]

Description: Color photograph of the exterior of Beth-El Congregation's building at 4900 Briarhaven Road, Fort Worth, which was constructed in 2000. The stone menorah, prominently displayed on the side of the building in relief, was removed from the facade of Beth-El's previous synagogue and placed at the entrance to the new building. A matching menorah flanks the other side of the entrance.
Date: 2001
Creator: Wilson, Ray