Heritage House Museum - 20 Matching Results

Search Results

[Aerial View of Orange, Texas]

Description: Aerial photograph of Orange, Texas. Many of the buildings in the photograph are now gone. Mrs. Lutcher Stark of Orange bought most of the downtown properties and built a performing arts theater and museum. The buildings that did survive are mostly occupied by Lamar University, Orange extension. The Sabine River is on the lower left.
Date: 1950

[Attendant at a Humble Gas Station]

Description: Photograph of a Humble gas station attendant standing next to a gas pump around 1950. His uniform has a "Humble" patch on the shirt.
Date: 1950~

[Classroom at Tilley School]

Description: Photograph of two students in a classroom at the Tilley School in Orange, Texas. They are pointing to a poster of book covers of American biographies. Looking on are Principal Myrtle Richardson ans teacher Mary Lynn Weir.
Date: 1950

[First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Photograph of the First Presbyterian Church in Orange, Texas. This building is also know as the Lutcher Memorial Building because it was was planned, built and underwritten by Mrs. Henry Jacob (Frances Ann) Lutcher as a memorial to the Henry Jacob Lutcher Family. It is an example of classic Greek Revival architecture, completed in 1912. It was one of the earliest air-conditioned buildings in the United States. The church has a large copper dome, large granite Corinthian columns on the front, and exquisite stained-glass windows.
Date: 1950

[Frances Ann Lutcher Hospital]

Description: Photograph of the south side of the Frances Ann Lutcher Hospital in 1950. It is a four-story brick building seen from Second Street.
Date: 1950
Creator: Clough's

[Goldfine's Store]

Description: Photograph of the interior of Goldfine's Department Store. The shoe department is to the left and men's clothing is to the right.
Date: 1950~

[Holland Hotel]

Description: Photograph of several cars in front of the Holland Hotel. Texas Optical and a jewelry store are near the hotel.
Date: 1950~
Creator: Gunn's Studio

[IOOF Hall in Orange, Texas]

Description: Photograph of the IOOF Hall the corner of Main and Fourth Streets. Beneath the club is a Toyland store. Automobiles are parked on the curbs.
Date: 1950~

[National Guard Armory]

Description: Photograph of the entrance to the National Guard Armory at Fourteenth and Cypress Streets. It was used as the USO headquarters during World War II. A flag pole stands in the courtyard area.
Date: 1950

Orange Leader Editor Cullen Browning in a small office

Description: Cullen Browning, editor of the The Orange Leader sits in a small make-shift office at 503-505 Front Ave. Another worker named Ken Freuden can be seen in the back of the room. This was around 1950, when the original office was undergoing renovation.
Date: 1950~

[Parade in 1950s]

Description: Photograph of a parade in Orange, Texas. Men in western wear are riding horses past a white two-story building.
Date: 1950~

[Remodeling Job at 503 Front Street]

Description: Photograph of a remodeling job at 503 Front Street in 1950. A man is standing on a desk, lifting a board, while a woman types at a desk next to him. They both wear hardhats. The man wears a nail bag with '"Harding & Lawler Building Materials" written on it.
Date: 1950

[Sabine River Authority Offices Drawing]

Description: Photograph of an architectural drawing of the Sabine River Authority Office Building, Canal Division, in Orange, Texas. The drawing is by Dimitri Demopulos. The building was designed by Golemon & Rolfe A.I.A. Architects and Engineers.
Date: 1950/1959
Creator: Golemon and Rolfe A.I.A. Architects and Engineers

[St. Mary's Catholic Church]

Description: Photograph of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Orange, Texas. It is located at Orange Avenue and Eighth Street. The church entrance includes a bell tower with a steeple on top.
Date: 1950~
Creator: Lawless and Son

[Street scene]

Description: Photograph of street scene in Orange. The view is from 5th Street looking south from Green St.
Date: 1950/1959
Creator: Richard Poland

[Tilley School in Riverside]

Description: Photograph of the Tilley School in Riverside. Later this building became part of Lamar University. There is a swing set in the school yard and some bicycles parked near the side doorway.
Date: 1950
Creator: Clough's

[E.W. Brown Home after the Fire]

Description: Photograph of the E.W. Brown III home after the fire in the early 1950s. It was on the corner of Elm and Ninth Street. It had been the Levingston residence earlier.
Date: 1950~

[Warehouse under Construction]

Description: Photograph of a warehouse under construction. The concrete floors are still wet and the wooden structure of the building can be seen.
Date: 1950
Creator: Pridgen's Studio

The Whangdoodle Cafe]

Description: Photograph of a woman standing outside of the Wangdoodle Cafe. There is a neon sign above the door.
Date: 1950~