Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Agnes Sueppel Schulze in Buggy, c. 1904

Description: Agnes Sueppel Schulze and a friend sit in a buggy in front of the Schulze home on Hastings Street, Irving, Texas, c. 1904. Agnes Schulze was the wife of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze.
Date: 1904~
Item Type: Photograph

Albert Farine Home

Description: Albert Farine home, constructed in 1906 and burned in the 1960s. The Farine family came to Texas in 1855 as part of the La Reunion colony and settled in the area that is now Irving in 1859.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank

Description: Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975.
Date: 1947
Item Type: Photograph

Brick School Building Being Torn Down

Description: The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959.
Date: 1959
Item Type: Photograph

C. P. Schulze House in Irving, Texas

Description: House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum.
Date: c. 1970
Item Type: Photograph

C. P. Schulze, Sr., c. 1915

Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., in yard. Schulze was the brother of J. O. Schulze, who was the co-founder of the city of Irving. Both were members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. J. O. remained in Texas to found the town, and C. P. moved on with the crew. When J. O. and his wife had to return to Iowa City, Iowa, C. P. came to Irving and took over the lumber yard started by his brother. C. P. ran the lumber yard from 1905 until his death in 1957.
Date: c. 1915
Item Type: Photograph

C. P. Schulze, Sr., Holding Fox Puppy, c. 1902

Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., holds a fox puppy. C. P. was a member of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. In Texas, they worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. J. O. Schulze, C. P.'s brother, was crew foreman. J. O. Schulze remained in Texas and co-founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: c. 1902
Item Type: Photograph

C. P. Schulze, Sr., Home in Irving, Texas

Description: House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum.
Date: 1913~
Item Type: Photograph

Charles P. Schulze, Jr., in car, c. 1914

Description: A child in an automobile. C. P. Schulze, Jr. son of Charles Percy and Virginia Schulze, is photographed in his father's car, c. 1914. The Schulze family operated Irving Lumber from the time of the town's founding in 1903 until the 1980s.
Date: c. 1914
Item Type: Photograph

Children in a Toy Car

Description: Howard and Lorene Lucas play in their early toy automobile, c. 1913. The children's father, Doug Lucas, ran a general merchandise store in Irving from 1906-1931.
Date: 1913~
Item Type: Photograph

Couple in Union Bower

Description: An unidentified couple enjoys an afternoon in the Union Bower community, c. 1910. Union Bower was a farming community that today is part of eastern Irving.
Date: 1910~
Item Type: Photograph

Covered Wooden Bridge, c. 1902

Description: Covered bridge, c. 1902. This bridge was photographed by one of the members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew as it worked its way through Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Two of the crew members remained behind in Texas and established the town of Irving along the rail line between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1903.
Date: c. 1902
Item Type: Photograph

Doug Lucas Store

Description: W. D. Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. After changing locations twice, he settled in this two-story brick building in about 1920.
Date: 1920~
Item Type: Photograph

Dr. and Mrs. John Haley

Description: Dr. John Haley was one of the Irving area's earliest physicians. The Haley family arrived in the area in the late 1850s. John was born in 1866. He was a teacher for a time, but after his first wife died, he returned to school and then entered the medical profession. He served as Irving's mayor from 1927 until his death in 1932. He is pictured here with his second wife, Anna Good Haley, in 1906.
Date: 1906~
Item Type: Photograph

Dr. and Mrs. John Roberts

Description: Dr. John Roberts and his wife Etta Williams Roberts in their horse-drawn buggy. Dr. Roberts was one of Irving's first physicians. He died at the age of 35 in 1918. The couple had three sons, one of whom became a physician and was instrumental in the development of Irving's first hospital during the 1950s and 1960s.
Date: 1910~
Item Type: Photograph