Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Dr. and Mrs. John Haley

Description: Dr. John Haley was one of the Irving area's earliest physicians. The Haley family arrived in the area in the late 1850s. John was born in 1866. He was a teacher for a time, but after his first wife died, he returned to school and then entered the medical profession. He served as Irving's mayor from 1927 until his death in 1932. He is pictured here with his second wife, Anna Good Haley, in 1906.
Date: 1906~
Item Type: Photograph

Howard-Beaufford House

Description: Constructed in May 1904 as the home of Joseph B. Howard and his wife, Susan, it stood on 2.5 acres just south of Irving's city limits. Eugene and May Ann Beaufford bought the property in 1919. They operated a truck farm on the acreage. They later divided the land among their children.
Date: 1904~
Item Type: Photograph

Irving Train Depot

Description: Two men in front of the Irving train depot. The Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway built this depot in 1904.
Date: 1906~
Item Type: Photograph

Lucas and Joffre Store

Description: Lucas and Joffre Store was founded by W. D. "Doug" Lucas and Fred Joffre in 1906 on the west side of Irving's Main Street. Lucas and Joffre split, but W. D. Lucas maintained a store on Main Street until he died in 1931.
Date: 1906
Item Type: Photograph

Miss Hicks Millinery

Description: Fannie Hicks ran a millinery store on Main Street during Irving's early years. She later married T. C. Haley, the proprietor of another Main Street business. In 1909, she closed her store.
Date: 1906
Item Type: Photograph

Sowers School, 1906

Description: The Sowers School served the Sowers community, located about a mile west of Irving, near the present-day intersection of Pioneer and Belt Line Road. The teachers pictured are John Roberts (later Dr. John Roberts) and Miss Mary Ruth Wespey. The school was one large room, and the boys carried in drinking water from a well a quarter of a mile away. Classes were held from 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. Top row: Allie Lanotte, Etta Eaton, unknown, Bess Kimble, Sally Haley, Ethel Barton, unknown, Ruby Slater, Nancy Slater, Mary Ruth Wespey, Ethel Tompkins, Jeanie Barton, John Roberts, unknown, Mabel Gilbert, Sam Mitchell, unknown, Thurston Jernigan, Hayde Gilbert, Kimble, Clay Gilbert, Tom Taylor, and Charlie Wilson Middle row: Nora Lusk, unknown, Marie Lanotte, Claudie Barton, Lillie Williams, Stella Slater, Minnie Moore, Moore, Jettie Rucker, Sitton, George Wilson, unknown, Fannie Slater, Grider Taylor, N. Jernigan, Bill Bietendorf, Paul Gilbert (with white glove), Ed Avrett, Jess Moore, Oscar Tompkins, Allen Avrett, Willie Smith, Arthur Smith, Carrie Lusk, Pauline Isadore, Ernestine Isadore, and Alice Lusk Bottom row: Most are unidentified, but some are Lawrence Ranft, Sidney Ranft, Dan Barton, Dan Gilbert, Floyd Eaton, Winnie Eaton, Adolph Bietendorf (with bat), W.B. “Bill” Gilbert (holding catcher’s mitt)
Date: 1906
Item Type: Photograph

W. L. Smith Store

Description: W. L. Smith built one of the first business establishements in Irving in 1904. However, in 1905, he sold the building to the Miller brothers, who opened a general store. Chaney Miller, one of the proprietors of Miller Brothers, served as Irving's second mayor and was Justice of the Peace for the precinct from the 1920s-1940s. He had also been a Dallas County Commissioner during the 1890s. His brother, Fletcher Miller, served as mayor in the 1920s before moving to Dallas.
Date: 1904~
Item Type: Photograph