Irving Archives - 113 Matching Results

Search Results

Agnes Sueppel Schulze in Buggy, c. 1904

Description: Agnes Sueppel Schulze and a friend sit in a buggy in front of the Schulze home on Hastings Street, Irving, Texas, c. 1904. Agnes Schulze was the wife of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze.
Date: 1904~

Albert Farine Home

Description: Albert Farine home, constructed in 1906 and burned in the 1960s. The Farine family came to Texas in 1855 as part of the La Reunion colony and settled in the area that is now Irving in 1859.
Date: unknown

Brick School Building Being Torn Down

Description: The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959.
Date: 1959

C. P. Schulze House in Irving, Texas

Description: House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum.
Date: 1970~

C. P. Schulze, Sr., by His Car

Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., stands beside his automobile. Schulze purchased one of the first automobiles in the city of Irving, c. 1912.
Date: 1912~

C. P. Schulze, Sr., c. 1915

Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., in yard. Schulze was the brother of J. O. Schulze, who was the co-founder of the city of Irving. Both were members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. J. O. remained in Texas to found the town, and C. P. moved on with the crew. When J. O. and his wife had to return to Iowa City, Iowa, C. P. came to Irving and took over the lumber yard started by his brother. C. P. ran the lumber yard from 1905 until his death in 1957.
Date: 1915~

C. P. Schulze, Sr., Holding Fox Puppy, c. 1902

Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., holds a fox puppy. C. P. was a member of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. In Texas, they worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. J. O. Schulze, C. P.'s brother, was crew foreman. J. O. Schulze remained in Texas and co-founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: 1902~

C. P. Schulze, Sr., Home in Irving, Texas

Description: House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum.
Date: 1913~

Charles P. Schulze, Jr., in car, c. 1914

Description: A child in an automobile. C. P. Schulze, Jr. son of Charles Percy and Virginia Schulze, is photographed in his father's car, c. 1914. The Schulze family operated Irving Lumber from the time of the town's founding in 1903 until the 1980s.
Date: 1914~

Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as Children

Description: Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as children, c. 1915. Charles Schulze, Jr., was the nephew of town co-founder J. O. Schulze. John Brown was the son of the other town co-founder Otis Brown.
Date: 1915~

Children in a Toy Car

Description: Howard and Lorene Lucas play in their early toy automobile, c. 1913. The children's father, Doug Lucas, ran a general merchandise store in Irving from 1906-1931.
Date: 1913~

Cotton Gin

Description: Cotton gin, Irving, Texas
Date: 1910~/1915~

Couple in Union Bower

Description: An unidentified couple enjoys an afternoon in the Union Bower community, c. 1910. Union Bower was a farming community that today is part of eastern Irving.
Date: 1910~

Covered Wooden Bridge, c. 1902

Description: Covered bridge, c. 1902. This bridge was photographed by one of the members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew as it worked its way through Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Two of the crew members remained behind in Texas and established the town of Irving along the rail line between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1903.
Date: 1902~

Doug Lucas Family in Surrey

Description: The Doug Lucas family in a surrey. Doug Lucas holds his daughter Lorene while his wife holds their son Howard.
Date: 1910~

Dr. and Mrs. John Roberts

Description: Dr. John Roberts and his wife Etta Williams Roberts in their horse-drawn buggy. Dr. Roberts was one of Irving's first physicians. He died at the age of 35 in 1918. The couple had three sons, one of whom became a physician and was instrumental in the development of Irving's first hospital during the 1950s and 1960s.
Date: 1910~

Early Irvingites Pose for Photo, c. 1915

Description: A group of early Irvingites pose for a photo, c. 1915. On the back of the photo is written: Kate, Early, Myrtle, and friends. They were Early, Kate, and Myrtle Story, and the photo was taken in front of the Story house at 304 S. Britain Road.
Date: 1915~

Elm School Student Body

Description: The Elm school served the farming community know as Elm which was located just north of Irving. Pictured in the back row left to right are: teacher Mrs. Holland, Lee Metker, Mary Farine, Ruth Holt, Lucy Parker, Sadie Watkins, Henry Farine, and Maudie Carroll. Next row: Lucy Farine, John Farine, Gus Story, Clyde Allen, Arthur Farine, Lillian Works, and Lela Toler. Next row: Ora Seat, Bill Metker, Foy Holt, Irene Nichols, Thelma Works, and Ann Carroll. Front row: Howard Parker, Fred Story, Milton Holt, Roy Bailey, and Bertha Farine.
Date: 1906~

Essie and Joe Keeling Family

Description: Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912.
Date: [1911..1912]

First St. Luke's Catholic Church

Description: First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.
Date: unknown

Hawks Chapel Methodist Church

Description: The Union Bower community was settled during the 1880s. It was located about north and east of the town site of Irving, which was founded in 1903. The Reverend W. E. Hawks of Dallas, who had been preaching in the Union Bower area since 1887, directed the building of a church in the community. In 1907, Hawks Chapel Methodist Church opened. In this photo, members of the congregation pose in front of the church.
Date: 1907~