Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

C. P. Schulze, Sr., by His Car

Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., stands beside his automobile. Schulze purchased one of the first automobiles in the city of Irving, c. 1912.
Date: c. 1912

C. P. Schulze, Sr., c. 1915

Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., in yard. Schulze was the brother of J. O. Schulze, who was the co-founder of the city of Irving. Both were members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. J. O. remained in Texas to found the town, and C. P. moved on with the crew. When J. O. and his wife had to return to Iowa City, Iowa, C. P. came to Irving and took over the lumber yard started by his brother. C. P. ran the lumber yard from 1905 until his death in 1957.
Date: c. 1915

C. P. Schulze, Sr., Home in Irving, Texas

Description: House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum.
Date: 1913~

Charles P. Schulze, Jr., in car, c. 1914

Description: A child in an automobile. C. P. Schulze, Jr. son of Charles Percy and Virginia Schulze, is photographed in his father's car, c. 1914. The Schulze family operated Irving Lumber from the time of the town's founding in 1903 until the 1980s.
Date: c. 1914

Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as Children

Description: Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as children, c. 1915. Charles Schulze, Jr., was the nephew of town co-founder J. O. Schulze. John Brown was the son of the other town co-founder Otis Brown.
Date: 1915~

Children in a Toy Car

Description: Howard and Lorene Lucas play in their early toy automobile, c. 1913. The children's father, Doug Lucas, ran a general merchandise store in Irving from 1906-1931.
Date: 1913~

Cotton Gin

Description: Cotton gin, Irving, Texas
Date: c. 1910 - 1915

Couple in Union Bower

Description: An unidentified couple enjoys an afternoon in the Union Bower community, c. 1910. Union Bower was a farming community that today is part of eastern Irving.
Date: 1910~

Doug Lucas Family in Surrey

Description: The Doug Lucas family in a surrey. Doug Lucas holds his daughter Lorene while his wife holds their son Howard.
Date: 1910~

Dr. and Mrs. John Roberts

Description: Dr. John Roberts and his wife Etta Williams Roberts in their horse-drawn buggy. Dr. Roberts was one of Irving's first physicians. He died at the age of 35 in 1918. The couple had three sons, one of whom became a physician and was instrumental in the development of Irving's first hospital during the 1950s and 1960s.
Date: 1910~

Early Irvingites Pose for Photo, c. 1915

Description: A group of early Irvingites pose for a photo, c. 1915. On the back of the photo is written: Kate, Early, Myrtle, and friends. They were Early, Kate, and Myrtle Story, and the photo was taken in front of the Story house at 304 S. Britain Road.
Date: c. 1915

Essie and Joe Keeling Family

Description: Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912.
Date: c. 1911 - 1912

Irving Cotton Gin

Description: The cotton gin, located at Irving Boulevard and Britain, was dismantled about 1916.
Date: 1916~

Irving High School Graduating Class of 1916

Description: Graduating class of Irving High School, 1916. First row, front to back, are: Osten Cushenberry, Frank Haley, and Roy Lively. Second row, front to back, are: Theo Dehaes, Inez Moore, Homer Duckworth. Third row, front to back, are: Susie Clark, Velma Duckworth, and Roy Miller.
Date: 1916

Irving Index Workshop

Description: This building served as the home of the "Irving Index" in Irving. It was built behind the home of the newspaper's owner, R. M. Hudson.
Date: 1910~

Irving Motoring Enthusiasts

Description: Early Irvingites prepare for a motor outing, c. 1912. On the left is the Schulze family automobile and on the right is the Robinson family car. The boy on the running board is Joe Williamson. Behind the wheel is Percy Schulze and next to him is his wife, Virginia. In the other vehicle, in no particular order are, Mr. T. G. Robinson, Mr. Williamson, May Williamson, Mrs. T. G. Robinson, Ward Robinson, and Mrs. Marsh.
Date: 1912~

Irving Student Body at the Water Tower

Description: The student body of the Irving Independent School District gathers at the water tower, which was in the middle of the intersection of Main and First streets (Irving Blvd.), to celebrate growing to a district of 500 students, c. 1915.
Date: 1915~

Main Street, Irving, Texas

Description: This photo is taken looking north up Main Street. The town's water tower was over a well in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and First Street (today Irving Blvd.). Main Street dead-ended into the railroad depot. The depot can be seen behind the water tower.
Date: 1912~

Model T Ford

Description: Model T Ford Pickup. In the vehicle are W. D. Lucas's sons Howard and Ray, c. 1915
Date: 1915~

Mrs. Pierce's Jitney Service

Description: Before Irving received bus service, one of the ways to travel to downtown Dallas was on one of the local jitney services. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas and back. Here she poses with some of her customers, c. 1915.
Date: 1915~