Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Howard-Beaufford House

Description: Constructed in May 1904 as the home of Joseph B. Howard and his wife, Susan, it stood on 2.5 acres just south of Irving's city limits. Eugene and May Ann Beaufford bought the property in 1919. They operated a truck farm on the acreage. They later divided the land among their children.
Date: 1904~
Item Type: Photograph

J. B. Howard House

Description: A lady standing on a porch at the Howard home at 318 Iowa (now O’Connor Rd.), believed to be Irving's oldest existing house, built in 1904.
Date: 1904~
Item Type: Photograph

Jerry and Della Story

Description: Jerry and Della Story. When the post office moved from the Kit community to the town of Irving in 1904, Jerry Story served as temporary postmaster.
Date: 1904
Item Type: Photograph

W. L. Smith Store

Description: W. L. Smith built one of the first business establishements in Irving in 1904. However, in 1905, he sold the building to the Miller brothers, who opened a general store. Chaney Miller, one of the proprietors of Miller Brothers, served as Irving's second mayor and was Justice of the Peace for the precinct from the 1920s-1940s. He had also been a Dallas County Commissioner during the 1890s. His brother, Fletcher Miller, served as mayor in the 1920s before moving to Dallas.
Date: 1904~
Item Type: Photograph