Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Albert Farine Home

Description: Albert Farine home, constructed in 1906 and burned in the 1960s. The Farine family came to Texas in 1855 as part of the La Reunion colony and settled in the area that is now Irving in 1859.
Date: unknown

Automobiles, c. 1930

Description: Photograph of automobiles parked in a line in front of store fronts along Main Street in Irving, Texas.
Date: 1930~

Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank

Description: Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975.
Date: 1947

Brick School Building Being Torn Down

Description: The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959.
Date: 1959

Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as Children

Description: Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as children, c. 1915. Charles Schulze, Jr., was the nephew of town co-founder J. O. Schulze. John Brown was the son of the other town co-founder Otis Brown.
Date: 1915~

Children in a Toy Car

Description: Howard and Lorene Lucas play in their early toy automobile, c. 1913. The children's father, Doug Lucas, ran a general merchandise store in Irving from 1906-1931.
Date: 1913~

Cotton Gin

Description: Cotton gin, Irving, Texas
Date: c. 1910 - 1915

Couple in Union Bower

Description: An unidentified couple enjoys an afternoon in the Union Bower community, c. 1910. Union Bower was a farming community that today is part of eastern Irving.
Date: 1910~

Doug Lucas Family in Surrey

Description: The Doug Lucas family in a surrey. Doug Lucas holds his daughter Lorene while his wife holds their son Howard.
Date: 1910~

Doug Lucas Store

Description: W. D. Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. After changing locations twice, he settled in this two-story brick building in about 1920.
Date: 1920~

Dr. and Mrs. John Haley

Description: Dr. John Haley was one of the Irving area's earliest physicians. The Haley family arrived in the area in the late 1850s. John was born in 1866. He was a teacher for a time, but after his first wife died, he returned to school and then entered the medical profession. He served as Irving's mayor from 1927 until his death in 1932. He is pictured here with his second wife, Anna Good Haley, in 1906.
Date: 1906~

Dr. and Mrs. John Roberts

Description: Dr. John Roberts and his wife Etta Williams Roberts in their horse-drawn buggy. Dr. Roberts was one of Irving's first physicians. He died at the age of 35 in 1918. The couple had three sons, one of whom became a physician and was instrumental in the development of Irving's first hospital during the 1950s and 1960s.
Date: 1910~

Elm School Student Body

Description: The Elm school served the farming community know as Elm which was located just north of Irving. Pictured in the back row left to right are: teacher Mrs. Holland, Lee Metker, Mary Farine, Ruth Holt, Lucy Parker, Sadie Watkins, Henry Farine, and Maudie Carroll. Next row: Lucy Farine, John Farine, Gus Story, Clyde Allen, Arthur Farine, Lillian Works, and Lela Toler. Next row: Ora Seat, Bill Metker, Foy Holt, Irene Nichols, Thelma Works, and Ann Carroll. Front row: Howard Parker, Fred Story, Milton Holt, Roy Bailey, and Bertha Farine.
Date: 1906~

Essie and Joe Keeling Family

Description: Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912.
Date: c. 1911 - 1912

First St. Luke's Catholic Church

Description: First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.
Date: unknown

Hawks Chapel Methodist Church

Description: The Union Bower community was settled during the 1880s. It was located about north and east of the town site of Irving, which was founded in 1903. The Reverend W. E. Hawks of Dallas, who had been preaching in the Union Bower area since 1887, directed the building of a church in the community. In 1907, Hawks Chapel Methodist Church opened. In this photo, members of the congregation pose in front of the church.
Date: 1907~

Helen Keeling Sale on Her Wedding Day

Description: Helen Keeling Sale on her wedding day. Helen Keeling, daughter of early Irvingites Joe and Essie Keeling, is pictured on the day she married Robert Sale.
Date: unknown

Henry Britain Home

Description: The home of Henry W. Britain, the rancher who sold eighty acres to J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown for the original Irving townsite. The land sold for $30 an acre. This home was located near Nursery and Perry roads. Further to the south, Britain watered his livestock at the pond near the intersection of Nursery and Irving Blvd. The Britain family came to this area in 1859. Dave, Lee, Eunice, and Henry W. Britain are among those in the photo.
Date: 1903~

Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story

Description: Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story. The Story family came from Illinois to the area that would later become Irving in 1855.
Date: unknown

Hezekiah Story Family

Description: The Story family was one of the pioneer families to the region. Here Hezekiah Story is pictured with his family.
Date: 1890~