Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Rock Island Survey Crew, c. 1902

Description: In the fall of 1902, a Rock Island Railway survey crew was working a stretch of line between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth when two of the members decided to found a town along the route of the track. J. O. Schulze and Otis Brown finished their work with the railroad and remained in the area, where they founded the town of Irving in December 1903. C. P. Schulze, Jr, brother of J. O. Schulze is on the far left.
Date: 1902~
Item Type: Photograph

Train at the Irving Depot

Description: Train at the Irving Depot. Completed in 1903, the site of the Chicago Rock Island & Gulf railroad depot also served as the location of the 1903 lot sale that founded Irving.
Date: 1905~
Item Type: Photograph

J. B. Howard House

Description: A lady standing on a porch at the Howard home at 318 Iowa (now O’Connor Rd.), believed to be Irving's oldest existing house, built in 1904.
Date: 1904~
Item Type: Photograph

First St. Luke's Catholic Church

Description: First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Albert Farine Home

Description: Albert Farine home, constructed in 1906 and burned in the 1960s. The Farine family came to Texas in 1855 as part of the La Reunion colony and settled in the area that is now Irving in 1859.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Lucas Children in Front of Car

Description: Lorene Lucas (Looper) flanked by her brothers Howard and Ray. These were the children of W. D. Lucas, who was a long-time owner of a general merchandise store on Main St. The three pose in front of Lorene's new car in 1929. In an interview, Lorene said that the dress she was wearing was blue and yellow and matched the blue car with its yellow trim.
Date: 1929
Item Type: Photograph

Elm School Student Body

Description: The Elm school served the farming community know as Elm which was located just north of Irving. Pictured in the back row left to right are: teacher Mrs. Holland, Lee Metker, Mary Farine, Ruth Holt, Lucy Parker, Sadie Watkins, Henry Farine, and Maudie Carroll. Next row: Lucy Farine, John Farine, Gus Story, Clyde Allen, Arthur Farine, Lillian Works, and Lela Toler. Next row: Ora Seat, Bill Metker, Foy Holt, Irene Nichols, Thelma Works, and Ann Carroll. Front row: Howard Parker, Fred Story, Milton Holt, Roy Bailey, and Bertha Farine.
Date: 1906~
Item Type: Photograph

R. M. Hudson Home

Description: R. M. Hudson began publishing the "Irving Index" in December 1903. He worked from his home in Dallas for five years. In 1908, he moved into this house in Irving. Hudson and his wife Mary had four children. Youngest son Tom can be seen at the fence in this photo. R. M. Hudson published the "Irving Index" from 1903 until 1916.
Date: 1910~
Item Type: Photograph

R. M. Hudson Home and Family

Description: R. M. Hudson operated Irving's first newspaper the "Irving Index." He ran the paper from 1903 until 1916. His home was on the northwest corner of Fourth and Jefferson streets. He is pictured here in front of his house with his wife Mary and daughter Veda. Not pictured are their sons Robert, Andrew, and Tom.
Date: 1910~
Item Type: Photograph

Irving Index Workshop

Description: This building served as the home of the "Irving Index" in Irving. It was built behind the home of the newspaper's owner, R. M. Hudson.
Date: 1910~
Item Type: Photograph

Wedding Picture of Joe and Essie Keeling

Description: Essie Jones and Joe Keeling's wedding picture. Essie Jones and Joe Keeling were married in 1910. Both lived most of their lives in Irving. They had three children: Helen, Weldon and Clyde.
Date: 1910
Item Type: Photograph

Irving Motoring Enthusiasts

Description: Early Irvingites prepare for a motor outing, c. 1912. On the left is the Schulze family automobile and on the right is the Robinson family car. The boy on the running board is Joe Williamson. Behind the wheel is Percy Schulze and next to him is his wife, Virginia. In the other vehicle, in no particular order are, Mr. T. G. Robinson, Mr. Williamson, May Williamson, Mrs. T. G. Robinson, Ward Robinson, and Mrs. Marsh.
Date: 1912~
Item Type: Photograph

Henry Britain Home

Description: The home of Henry W. Britain, the rancher who sold eighty acres to J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown for the original Irving townsite. The land sold for $30 an acre. This home was located near Nursery and Perry roads. Further to the south, Britain watered his livestock at the pond near the intersection of Nursery and Irving Blvd. The Britain family came to this area in 1859. Dave, Lee, Eunice, and Henry W. Britain are among those in the photo.
Date: 1903~
Item Type: Photograph

Irving School's Third Grade Class, c. 1930s

Description: Mrs. White's third grade class, c. 1930s. The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The building in this photograph was a three-story red brick building that was constructed in 1913.
Date: 1930~
Item Type: Photograph

Tom Haley Home

Description: William Haley and his family moved to the area during the late 1850s. They settled northwest of the future town site of Irving in what became known as the Estelle community. Tom Haley, William's son, farmed a large piece of land his father had given him as a wedding gift. When his children became of school age, he decided that it would be more convenient for his wife and kids to stay in Irving during the school year. This is a photo of the home the family rented in town. At the fence on the left is Vera Haley (Anderson) and one of her sisters Bertha Haley (Gleghorn), c. 1911.
Date: 1911~
Item Type: Photograph