This system will be undergoing maintenance Monday, January 23 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST.
Irving Archives - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 52 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912.
Date: c. 1911 - 1912
Description: PTA officers for the Irving public school system in 1936. Seated left to right: Mrs. F. N. Broach, Mrs. H. W. Simmons, Mrs. W. H. George, Mrs. Edgar Davis, Mrs. Ralph Barr, Mrs. Clyde Kirkpatrick, and Mrs. W. R. Duckworth; standing left to right: Mrs. A. C. Bolden, Mrs. R. L. Kirkpatrick, School Supt. A. S. Johnston, Mrs. Johnston, and Mrs. Ben Hurwitz.
Description: William Smith, area pioneer, built this house in the Union Bower community in 1888. It stood along what would become Maryland Street in Irving until it was torn down in the 1980s. Seen in this 1906 photo are L. G. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Hood, Mrs. Mattie Smith, Bert Smith, Mrs. Jennie Smith, William Hood, and Frank and Charlie Voirin.
Description: This group of musicians played for square dances in the Union Bower community. Dances were held in the fall and winter because the weather was too hot during the summer. Left to right are: Tom Owens, Earl Steele, Lillie Owens, and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not in the picture. Union Bower was a farming community on the eastern edge of the city of Irving. The community was established about 1880.
Description: The Union Bower community was settled during the 1880s. It was located about north and east of the town site of Irving, which was founded in 1903. The Reverend W. E. Hawks of Dallas, who had been preaching in the Union Bower area since 1887, directed the building of a church in the community. In 1907, Hawks Chapel Methodist Church opened. In this photo, members of the congregation pose in front of the church.
Description: The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959.
Description: The student body of the Irving Independent School District gathers at the water tower, which was in the middle of the intersection of Main and First streets (Irving Blvd.), to celebrate growing to a district of 500 students, c. 1915.
Description: Prior to Irving receiving bus service in 1930, several Irvingites operated jitney services to transport locals from Irving to downtown Dallas. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated one of the first of these services. In this photo, she posed around the jitney with her customers, c. 1915.
Description: Before Irving received bus service, one of the ways to travel to downtown Dallas was on one of the local jitney services. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas and back. Here she poses with some of her customers, c. 1915.
Description: Dr. John Roberts and his wife Etta Williams Roberts in their horse-drawn buggy. Dr. Roberts was one of Irving's first physicians. He died at the age of 35 in 1918. The couple had three sons, one of whom became a physician and was instrumental in the development of Irving's first hospital during the 1950s and 1960s.
Description: Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row: Marshall “Bobby” Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain, and W. S. Fields, with water boy John Steele