Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Irving Motoring Enthusiasts

Description: Early Irvingites prepare for a motor outing, c. 1912. On the left is the Schulze family automobile and on the right is the Robinson family car. The boy on the running board is Joe Williamson. Behind the wheel is Percy Schulze and next to him is his wife, Virginia. In the other vehicle, in no particular order are, Mr. T. G. Robinson, Mr. Williamson, May Williamson, Mrs. T. G. Robinson, Ward Robinson, and Mrs. Marsh.
Date: 1912~

Kit Store and Ike Story Family

Description: Postmaster Isaac Henry “Ike” Story sits in front of the post office and general store for the community of Kit. The sign on top of the building spells out the name of Kit, but with an eye instead of an "i". People in photo: Nancy Story (wife), Ike Story, Lillie Leona Story Kinney (daughter), Opal Elizabeth Kinney (granddaughter), and Sallie Jane Story Bell (daughter). The Kit community was about a mile east of where Irving would be established in 1903.
Date: 1896~

Lucas Children in Front of Car

Description: Lorene Lucas (Looper) flanked by her brothers Howard and Ray. These were the children of W. D. Lucas, who was a long-time owner of a general merchandise store on Main St. The three pose in front of Lorene's new car in 1929. In an interview, Lorene said that the dress she was wearing was blue and yellow and matched the blue car with its yellow trim.
Date: 1929

Main Street, Irving, Texas

Description: This photo is taken looking north up Main Street. The town's water tower was over a well in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and First Street (today Irving Blvd.). Main Street dead-ended into the railroad depot. The depot can be seen behind the water tower.
Date: 1912~

Mrs. B. L. Pierce's House

Description: This house was located at the northeast corner of Second and Ohio streets. Shown standing on the steps is Mrs. B. L. Pierce. Prior to Irving's receiving bus service in 1930, she operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas for Irvingites. The man on the left is Grover Pierce, the little girl is Doris Jean Taylor, and the woman in the fur coat is Mrs. Buck Mitchell.
Date: 1933~

Mrs. Pierce's Jitney Service

Description: Before Irving received bus service, one of the ways to travel to downtown Dallas was on one of the local jitney services. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas and back. Here she poses with some of her customers, c. 1915.
Date: 1915~

Musicians in the Union Bower Community

Description: This group of musicians played for square dances in the Union Bower community. Dances were held in the fall and winter because the weather was too hot during the summer. Left to right are: Tom Owens, Earl Steele, Lillie Owens, and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not in the picture. Union Bower was a farming community on the eastern edge of the city of Irving. The community was established about 1880.
Date: 1910~

The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association

Description: A group of citizens from northwest Dallas County banded together in 1931 to form the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. Its purpose was to promote the development of the northwest section of Dallas County. They presented the interests of Irving and the surrounding area to county and state governments. They were particularly concerned with road improvment in this area of the county. The group is standing in front of Irving's first city hall. From left to right, starting with the man in the hat, are: Lewis Hancock; the boy is F. M. Gilbert, Jr.; his father, Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr.; W. B. Gilbert; Frank Haley; C. P. Caldwell; W. P. Gandy; T. A. Jasper; R. E. Fulton; James Poppelwell; Albert Farine; J. E. Van Horn, Sr.; and R. J. (Leo) Byrd. The photograph in the Bates Collection from which this was scanned was missing part of the left and right sides. The original photograph also included Tom Peters on the far left (to the left of Lewis Hancock), Bob Stewart, second from the right (he is partially visible behind R. J. Byrd), and C. P Schulze on the far right.
Date: 1931~

Old Gilbert Home

Description: The D. W. Gilbert home stood from 1882 to 1955 near the northwest corner of Story and Grauwyler Roads. Dr. D. W. Gilbert was one of the first physicians to practice in the Irving area. In addition to his work as a physician, he operated a 1,500-acre farm and orchard and a dairy. He also owned farmland in Euless, Shady Grove, and Bear Creek.
Date: 1882/1955

Otis Brown's First House in Irving

Description: Otis Brown built the first house in Irving in 1903. He and his wife Netta lived there until they built a larger home in 1905. Brown sold this home to Chaney Miller. Miller had it enlarged, and he or a member of his family lived in the house until it was torn down in the 1970s.
Date: 1950~

Pierce and Ramsey Store - Interior

Description: Grover Pierce and Hershel Ramsey operated a grocery store along Irving's Main Street. In this photo, Grover Pierce is behind the counter wearing a white hat. Hershel Ramsey is in the chair on the right. The woman in black in the center of the photo is Fannie Tompkins Haley, the wife of Tom Haley.
Date: 1920~

Pierce's Jitney Service

Description: Prior to Irving receiving bus service in 1930, several Irvingites operated jitney services to transport locals from Irving to downtown Dallas. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated one of the first of these services. In this photo, she posed around the jitney with her customers, c. 1915.
Date: 1915~