Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Sowers School, 1906

Description: The Sowers School served the Sowers community, located about a mile west of Irving, near the present-day intersection of Pioneer and Belt Line Road. The teachers pictured are John Roberts (later Dr. John Roberts) and Miss Mary Ruth Wespey. The school was one large room, and the boys carried in drinking water from a well a quarter of a mile away. Classes were held from 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. Top row: Allie Lanotte, Etta Eaton, unknown, Bess Kimble, Sally Haley, Ethel Barton, unknown, Ruby Slater, Nancy Slater, Mary Ruth Wespey, Ethel Tompkins, Jeanie Barton, John Roberts, unknown, Mabel Gilbert, Sam Mitchell, unknown, Thurston Jernigan, Hayde Gilbert, Kimble, Clay Gilbert, Tom Taylor, and Charlie Wilson Middle row: Nora Lusk, unknown, Marie Lanotte, Claudie Barton, Lillie Williams, Stella Slater, Minnie Moore, Moore, Jettie Rucker, Sitton, George Wilson, unknown, Fannie Slater, Grider Taylor, N. Jernigan, Bill Bietendorf, Paul Gilbert (with white glove), Ed Avrett, Jess Moore, Oscar Tompkins, Allen Avrett, Willie Smith, Arthur Smith, Carrie Lusk, Pauline Isadore, Ernestine Isadore, and Alice Lusk Bottom row: Most are unidentified, but some are Lawrence Ranft, Sidney Ranft, Dan Barton, Dan Gilbert, Floyd Eaton, Winnie Eaton, Adolph Bietendorf (with bat), W.B. “Bill” Gilbert (holding catcher’s mitt)
Date: 1906

William Smith Home in Union Bower

Description: William Smith, area pioneer, built this house in the Union Bower community in 1888. It stood along what would become Maryland Street in Irving until it was torn down in the 1980s. Seen in this 1906 photo are L. G. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Hood, Mrs. Mattie Smith, Bert Smith, Mrs. Jennie Smith, William Hood, and Frank and Charlie Voirin.
Date: 1906

William Smith House - Side View

Description: This photo, made in 1906, shows a side view of the William Smith home in the Union Bower community. The house was built in 1888.
Date: 1906

Hawks Chapel Methodist Church

Description: The Union Bower community was settled during the 1880s. It was located about north and east of the town site of Irving, which was founded in 1903. The Reverend W. E. Hawks of Dallas, who had been preaching in the Union Bower area since 1887, directed the building of a church in the community. In 1907, Hawks Chapel Methodist Church opened. In this photo, members of the congregation pose in front of the church.
Date: 1907~

W. D. Lucas Home at 127 Hastings Street

Description: Home of W. D. Lucas and family at 127 S. Hastings. The house was built in 1907. W. D. Lucas was the proprietor of a general merchandise store from 1906 until his death in 1931.
Date: 1907~

Virginia Tucker Schulze on Horseback, 1910

Description: Virginia Tucker Schulze on horseback at a ranch in Pyote, Texas. Virginia was the wife of C. P. Schulze, Sr. The Schulze family owned the Irving Lumber Company form it inception in 1903 until it closed during the 1980s. Back of photo reads: "My first ride to Brown's tank, August 1910."
Date: 1908 - 1910

Virginia Tucker Schulze with Friends, 1910

Description: Three women on horseback. Virginia Tucker Schulze with friends at a ranch in Pyote, Texas. Back of photo reads: “First ride to Brown tank, Madeline, Henrietta and Virginia.” Virginia Schulze was married to C. P. Schulze, Sr. The Schulze family owned Irving Lumber Company from the town's inception in 1903 until the 1980s.
Date: 1908 - 1910

E. M. Story Children, 1909

Description: The children of E. M. Story. Left to right are: Louis, Myrtle, Clarence, and Jane, 1909. The Story family were some of the first pioneers in northwest Dallas County. They came to the Irving area during the mid-nineteenth century.
Date: 1909

E. M. Story House, 1909

Description: E. M. Story house, 1909. The Story family came to the Irving area during the second half of the 19th century. This house was on Britain Road near old downtown Irving. Shown in the picture are: front row: Clarence, Jane, and Myrtle Story; back row: unidentified, E. M. Story, and his wife Kate.
Date: 1909

Couple in Union Bower

Description: An unidentified couple enjoys an afternoon in the Union Bower community, c. 1910. Union Bower was a farming community that today is part of eastern Irving.
Date: 1910~

Doug Lucas Family in Surrey

Description: The Doug Lucas family in a surrey. Doug Lucas holds his daughter Lorene while his wife holds their son Howard.
Date: 1910~

Dr. and Mrs. John Roberts

Description: Dr. John Roberts and his wife Etta Williams Roberts in their horse-drawn buggy. Dr. Roberts was one of Irving's first physicians. He died at the age of 35 in 1918. The couple had three sons, one of whom became a physician and was instrumental in the development of Irving's first hospital during the 1950s and 1960s.
Date: 1910~

Irving Index Workshop

Description: This building served as the home of the "Irving Index" in Irving. It was built behind the home of the newspaper's owner, R. M. Hudson.
Date: 1910~

Musicians in the Union Bower Community

Description: This group of musicians played for square dances in the Union Bower community. Dances were held in the fall and winter because the weather was too hot during the summer. Left to right are: Tom Owens, Earl Steele, Lillie Owens, and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not in the picture. Union Bower was a farming community on the eastern edge of the city of Irving. The community was established about 1880.
Date: 1910~

R. M. Hudson Home

Description: R. M. Hudson began publishing the "Irving Index" in December 1903. He worked from his home in Dallas for five years. In 1908, he moved into this house in Irving. Hudson and his wife Mary had four children. Youngest son Tom can be seen at the fence in this photo. R. M. Hudson published the "Irving Index" from 1903 until 1916.
Date: 1910~

R. M. Hudson Home and Family

Description: R. M. Hudson operated Irving's first newspaper the "Irving Index." He ran the paper from 1903 until 1916. His home was on the northwest corner of Fourth and Jefferson streets. He is pictured here in front of his house with his wife Mary and daughter Veda. Not pictured are their sons Robert, Andrew, and Tom.
Date: 1910~

Robinson's Drug Store

Description: Major T. G. Robinson opened the Palace Drug Store in Irving's first brick building in 1906. In 1908, he added a soda fountain to the establishment. The store was in business until 1939, when Major Robinson retired.
Date: 1910~

Story Feed Store

Description: The Story livery stable and feed store was located just west of the corner of Main and First (Irving Blvd.) streets during Irving's early years.
Date: 1910~

Wedding Picture of Joe and Essie Keeling

Description: Essie Jones and Joe Keeling's wedding picture. Essie Jones and Joe Keeling were married in 1910. Both lived most of their lives in Irving. They had three children: Helen, Weldon and Clyde.
Date: 1910

Tom Haley Home

Description: William Haley and his family moved to the area during the late 1850s. They settled northwest of the future town site of Irving in what became known as the Estelle community. Tom Haley, William's son, farmed a large piece of land his father had given him as a wedding gift. When his children became of school age, he decided that it would be more convenient for his wife and kids to stay in Irving during the school year. This is a photo of the home the family rented in town. At the fence on the left is Vera Haley (Anderson) and one of her sisters Bertha Haley (Gleghorn), c. 1911.
Date: 1911~