Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Otis Brown's First House in Irving

Description: Otis Brown built the first house in Irving in 1903. He and his wife Netta lived there until they built a larger home in 1905. Brown sold this home to Chaney Miller. Miller had it enlarged, and he or a member of his family lived in the house until it was torn down in the 1970s.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph

Brick School Building Being Torn Down

Description: The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959.
Date: 1959
Item Type: Photograph

Albert Farine Home

Description: Albert Farine home, constructed in 1906 and burned in the 1960s. The Farine family came to Texas in 1855 as part of the La Reunion colony and settled in the area that is now Irving in 1859.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Essie and Joe Keeling Family

Description: Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912.
Date: c. 1911 - 1912
Item Type: Photograph

First St. Luke's Catholic Church

Description: First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Kit Store and Ike Story Family

Description: Postmaster Isaac Henry “Ike” Story sits in front of the post office and general store for the community of Kit. The sign on top of the building spells out the name of Kit, but with an eye instead of an "i". People in photo: Nancy Story (wife), Ike Story, Lillie Leona Story Kinney (daughter), Opal Elizabeth Kinney (granddaughter), and Sallie Jane Story Bell (daughter). The Kit community was about a mile east of where Irving would be established in 1903.
Date: c. 1896
Item Type: Photograph

Lucas Family

Description: Lucas family left to right: Mahala Williams Lucas Roberts, Henry Lucas, Doug Lucas, Charlie Lucas, Jack Lucas, and Etta Williams Roberts
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

W. D. Lucas with Children

Description: W. D. "Doug" Lucas poses with his three children: Howard, Roy (baby), and Lorene. W. D. Lucas owned a general store on Main Street in Irving from 1906 to 1931.
Date: c. 1912
Item Type: Photograph