Irving Archives - 138 Matching Results

Search Results

C. P. Schulze House in Irving, Texas

Description: House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum.
Date: 1970~

First St. Luke's Catholic Church

Description: First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.
Date: unknown

Joseph Schulze

Description: Joseph Schulze, father of J. O. Schulze and C. P. Schulze, n.d. J. O. Schulze co-founded the city of Irving, Texas, in 1903. He started Irving Lumber Company that same year. J. O. returned to Iowa City in 1905, and his brother C. P. ran Irving Lumber from 1905 until his death in 1957.
Date: unknown

J. O. Schulze, c. 1960

Description: Portrait of J. O. Schulze smoking a pipe, c. 1960. J. O. Schulze co-founded the city of Irving, Texas, in 1903. He was born in Iowa City, Iowa, in 1875. He was head of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew when he came to Texas. He left the crew and founded the town of Irving along the tracks of the CRI&G between Dallas and Fort Worth in December 1903. During the summer of 1903, he married Agnes Sueppel Schulze in Iowa City, Iowa.
Date: 1960~

Brick School Building Being Torn Down

Description: The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959.
Date: 1959

Otis Brown's First House in Irving

Description: Otis Brown built the first house in Irving in 1903. He and his wife Netta lived there until they built a larger home in 1905. Brown sold this home to Chaney Miller. Miller had it enlarged, and he or a member of his family lived in the house until it was torn down in the 1970s.
Date: 1950~

Irving State Bank Board of Directors, 1949

Description: Members of the Irving State Bank board of directors, 1949. Standing left to right are: Dr. F. M. Gilbert; W. E. Harrington; John Brandenburg; Charlie Lucas; and Zack Gilliland; seated left to right are: Charles Schulze, Jr.; Louis Blaylock; Mac Clawson; Bill Gilbert; Larry Bellah; W. H. (Boots) Roberts; and Gus Crassons.
Date: 1949

Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank

Description: Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975.
Date: 1947

PTA Officers, 1936

Description: PTA officers for the Irving public school system in 1936. Seated left to right: Mrs. F. N. Broach, Mrs. H. W. Simmons, Mrs. W. H. George, Mrs. Edgar Davis, Mrs. Ralph Barr, Mrs. Clyde Kirkpatrick, and Mrs. W. R. Duckworth; standing left to right: Mrs. A. C. Bolden, Mrs. R. L. Kirkpatrick, School Supt. A. S. Johnston, Mrs. Johnston, and Mrs. Ben Hurwitz.
Date: 1936

Mrs. B. L. Pierce's House

Description: This house was located at the northeast corner of Second and Ohio streets. Shown standing on the steps is Mrs. B. L. Pierce. Prior to Irving's receiving bus service in 1930, she operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas for Irvingites. The man on the left is Grover Pierce, the little girl is Doris Jean Taylor, and the woman in the fur coat is Mrs. Buck Mitchell.
Date: 1933~

The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association

Description: A group of citizens from northwest Dallas County banded together in 1931 to form the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. Its purpose was to promote the development of the northwest section of Dallas County. They presented the interests of Irving and the surrounding area to county and state governments. They were particularly concerned with road improvment in this area of the county. The group is standing in front of Irving's first city hall. From left to right, starting with the man in the hat, are: Lewis Hancock; the boy is F. M. Gilbert, Jr.; his father, Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr.; W. B. Gilbert; Frank Haley; C. P. Caldwell; W. P. Gandy; T. A. Jasper; R. E. Fulton; James Poppelwell; Albert Farine; J. E. Van Horn, Sr.; and R. J. (Leo) Byrd. The photograph in the Bates Collection from which this was scanned was missing part of the left and right sides. The original photograph also included Tom Peters on the far left (to the left of Lewis Hancock), Bob Stewart, second from the right (he is partially visible behind R. J. Byrd), and C. P Schulze on the far right.
Date: 1931~

Lucas Children in Front of Car

Description: Lorene Lucas (Looper) flanked by her brothers Howard and Ray. These were the children of W. D. Lucas, who was a long-time owner of a general merchandise store on Main St. The three pose in front of Lorene's new car in 1929. In an interview, Lorene said that the dress she was wearing was blue and yellow and matched the blue car with its yellow trim.
Date: 1929

Irving High School Football Team, 1924

Description: Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row: Marshall “Bobby” Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain, and W. S. Fields, with water boy John Steele
Date: 1924

Irving School Sixth Grade Class, 1923 - 1924

Description: The sixth grade class of the Irving Schools, 1923-24. Charles Schulze is on top row, second from left. Charles Schulze was the nephew of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. The Schulze family ran Irving Lumber Company for many decades. Charles Schulze was a member of the city commission and worked to make Irving a home rule city in the early 1950s.
Date: 1924