Irving Archives - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 73 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912.
Date: c. 1911 - 1912
Description: First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.
Description: Postmaster Isaac Henry “Ike” Story sits in front of the post office and general store for the community of Kit. The sign on top of the building spells out the name of Kit, but with an eye instead of an "i". People in photo: Nancy Story (wife), Ike Story, Lillie Leona Story Kinney (daughter), Opal Elizabeth Kinney (granddaughter), and Sallie Jane Story Bell (daughter). The Kit community was about a mile east of where Irving would be established in 1903.
Date: c. 1896
Description: The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959.
Description: Otis Brown built the first house in Irving in 1903. He and his wife Netta lived there until they built a larger home in 1905. Brown sold this home to Chaney Miller. Miller had it enlarged, and he or a member of his family lived in the house until it was torn down in the 1970s.
Description: Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975.
Description: PTA officers for the Irving public school system in 1936. Seated left to right: Mrs. F. N. Broach, Mrs. H. W. Simmons, Mrs. W. H. George, Mrs. Edgar Davis, Mrs. Ralph Barr, Mrs. Clyde Kirkpatrick, and Mrs. W. R. Duckworth; standing left to right: Mrs. A. C. Bolden, Mrs. R. L. Kirkpatrick, School Supt. A. S. Johnston, Mrs. Johnston, and Mrs. Ben Hurwitz.
Description: This house was located at the northeast corner of Second and Ohio streets. Shown standing on the steps is Mrs. B. L. Pierce. Prior to Irving's receiving bus service in 1930, she operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas for Irvingites. The man on the left is Grover Pierce, the little girl is Doris Jean Taylor, and the woman in the fur coat is Mrs. Buck Mitchell.
Description: A group of citizens from northwest Dallas County banded together in 1931 to form the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. Its purpose was to promote the development of the northwest section of Dallas County. They presented the interests of Irving and the surrounding area to county and state governments. They were particularly concerned with road improvment in this area of the county. The group is standing in front of Irving's first city hall. From left to right, starting with the man in the hat, are: Lewis Hancock; the boy is F. M. Gilbert, Jr.; his father, Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr.; W. B. Gilbert; Frank Haley; C. P. Caldwell; W. P. Gandy; T. A. Jasper; R. E. Fulton; James Poppelwell; Albert Farine; J. E. Van Horn, Sr.; and R. J. (Leo) Byrd. The photograph in the Bates Collection from which this was scanned was missing part of the left and right sides. The original photograph also included Tom Peters on the far left (to the left of Lewis Hancock), Bob Stewart, second from the right (he is partially visible behind R. J. Byrd), and C. P Schulze on the far right.
Description: Lorene Lucas (Looper) flanked by her brothers Howard and Ray. These were the children of W. D. Lucas, who was a long-time owner of a general merchandise store on Main St. The three pose in front of Lorene's new car in 1929. In an interview, Lorene said that the dress she was wearing was blue and yellow and matched the blue car with its yellow trim.
Description: Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row: Marshall “Bobby” Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain, and W. S. Fields, with water boy John Steele
Description: Grover Pierce and Hershel Ramsey operated a grocery store along Irving's Main Street. In this photo, Grover Pierce is behind the counter wearing a white hat. Hershel Ramsey is in the chair on the right. The woman in black in the center of the photo is Fannie Tompkins Haley, the wife of Tom Haley.