Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Early Irvingites Pose for Photo, c. 1915

Description: A group of early Irvingites pose for a photo, c. 1915. On the back of the photo is written: Kate, Early, Myrtle, and friends. They were Early, Kate, and Myrtle Story, and the photo was taken in front of the Story house at 304 S. Britain Road.
Date: c. 1915

View of Inside Survey Crew Tent, 1902

Description: View of the interior of one the tents of the members of the Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew that worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas in 1902. Two of the crew members remained behind and founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

E. M. Story House, 1909

Description: E. M. Story house, 1909. The Story family came to the Irving area during the second half of the 19th century. This house was on Britain Road near old downtown Irving. Shown in the picture are: front row: Clarence, Jane, and Myrtle Story; back row: unidentified, E. M. Story, and his wife Kate.
Date: 1909

Railroad Survey Crew Poses for a Photograph, c. 1902

Description: Members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew pose with their surveying tools, c. 1902. The crew worked worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. In Texas they worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. Two of the crew members remained behind and founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

[J. O. Shulze Playing with a Fox Puppy]

Description: Photograph of J. O. Schulze, the leader of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew, playing with the crew's pet fox, c. 1902. He is sitting on the ground outside of a tent and has the fox in his lap. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. In Texas, they worked a stretch of line between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas. J. O. Schulze and Otis Brown, another crew member, remained behind and established the town of Irving along the tracks between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1903.
Date: 1902~

Railroad Survey Crew Members Pose in Front of Tent, c. 1902

Description: Four members of the Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew pose in front of their tent, c. 1902. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. In Texas, they surveyed a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. They camped on Britain family land in the vicinity of modern-day Nursery Road and the Rock Island railroad track. Two of the crew members remained behind when the rest moved on to the next job. They purchased 80 acres of land from the Britains and established the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

Essie and Joe Keeling Family

Description: Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912.
Date: c. 1911 - 1912

Man Standing in Field, c. 1902

Description: Unidentified member of the Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. The crew worked and ten-mile stretch of track between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1902. Two of the crew members remained behind and founded the town of Irving in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

Railroad Survey Crew Members in Gazebo, c. 1902

Description: Members of the Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew that surveyed a ten-mile section of track between Dallas and Fort Worth, c. 1902. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and south Texas before arriving in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Two of the crew members remained behind and founded the town of Irving along the tracks between Dallas and Fort Worth.
Date: c. 1902

Pet Dog of the Railroad Survey Crew, c. 1902

Description: A dog sitting on a chair in front of a tent. The dog was a pet of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. In Texas, they worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. Two of the crew members remained in the area and founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

Railroad Survey Crew Member Holding a Dog, c. 1902

Description: A member of the Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew plays with the crew's pet dog, c. 1902. The crew surveyed a ten-mile stretch of line between Dallas and Fort Worth. Two crew members stayed behind and founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

Railroad Survey Crew Pausing to Eat, c. 1902

Description: Members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew pause to eat, c. 1902. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. They surveyed a ten-mile stretch of track between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas in 1902. Two crew members remained behind and founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

William Smith House - Side View

Description: This photo, made in 1906, shows a side view of the William Smith home in the Union Bower community. The house was built in 1888.
Date: 1906

Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story

Description: Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story. The Story family came from Illinois to the area that would later become Irving in 1855.
Date: unknown

William Smith Home in Union Bower

Description: William Smith, area pioneer, built this house in the Union Bower community in 1888. It stood along what would become Maryland Street in Irving until it was torn down in the 1980s. Seen in this 1906 photo are L. G. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Hood, Mrs. Mattie Smith, Bert Smith, Mrs. Jennie Smith, William Hood, and Frank and Charlie Voirin.
Date: 1906

W. D. Lucas Store - Interior

Description: W. D. "Doug" Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. In this photo, he is seen behind the counter.
Date: 1919

PTA Officers, 1936

Description: PTA officers for the Irving public school system in 1936. Seated left to right: Mrs. F. N. Broach, Mrs. H. W. Simmons, Mrs. W. H. George, Mrs. Edgar Davis, Mrs. Ralph Barr, Mrs. Clyde Kirkpatrick, and Mrs. W. R. Duckworth; standing left to right: Mrs. A. C. Bolden, Mrs. R. L. Kirkpatrick, School Supt. A. S. Johnston, Mrs. Johnston, and Mrs. Ben Hurwitz.
Date: 1936

Jerry and Della Story

Description: Jerry and Della Story. When the post office moved from the Kit community to the town of Irving in 1904, Jerry Story served as temporary postmaster.
Date: 1904

Covered Wooden Bridge, c. 1902

Description: Covered bridge, c. 1902. This bridge was photographed by one of the members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew as it worked its way through Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Two of the crew members remained behind in Texas and established the town of Irving along the rail line between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

C. P. Schulze House in Irving, Texas

Description: House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum.
Date: c. 1970

C. P. Schulze, Sr., by His Car

Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., stands beside his automobile. Schulze purchased one of the first automobiles in the city of Irving, c. 1912.
Date: c. 1912

Virginia Tucker Schulze on Horseback, 1910

Description: Virginia Tucker Schulze on horseback at a ranch in Pyote, Texas. Virginia was the wife of C. P. Schulze, Sr. The Schulze family owned the Irving Lumber Company form it inception in 1903 until it closed during the 1980s. Back of photo reads: "My first ride to Brown's tank, August 1910."
Date: 1908 - 1910

J. O. Schulze's House in Irving, c. 1904

Description: Home of J. O. and Agnes Schulze in Irving, Texas, c. 1904. J. O. Schulze was the co-founder of the city of Irving in 1903. He and his wife built this house in Irving in about 1904. Due to Agnes's poor health, the couple had to return to Iowa City, Iowa in 1905. The house, which stood on the east side of Ohio Street in the first block south of present-day Irving Boulevard, burned in the mid-1980s.
Date: c. 1904