Irving Archives - Browse
Showing: 31 - 54 of 73 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Otis Brown built the first house in Irving in 1903. He and his wife Netta lived there until they built a larger home in 1905. Brown sold this home to Chaney Miller. Miller had it enlarged, and he or a member of his family lived in the house until it was torn down in the 1970s.
Description: Grover Pierce and Hershel Ramsey operated a grocery store along Irving's Main Street. In this photo, Grover Pierce is behind the counter wearing a white hat. Hershel Ramsey is in the chair on the right. The woman in black in the center of the photo is Fannie Tompkins Haley, the wife of Tom Haley.
Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., Otis Brown, and Fred Joffre (in back) sit in Schulze's new Hupmobile. The house in the background is Otis Brown's house on Iowa Street (today 327 S. O'Connor Road). Brown built the house in 1905.
Description: William Haley and his family moved to the area during the late 1850s. They settled northwest of the future town site of Irving in what became known as the Estelle community. Tom Haley, William's son, farmed a large piece of land his father had given him as a wedding gift. When his children became of school age, he decided that it would be more convenient for his wife and kids to stay in Irving during the school year. This is a photo of the home the family rented in town. At the fence on the left is Vera Haley (Anderson) and one of her sisters Bertha Haley (Gleghorn), c. 1911.
Description: This house was located at the northeast corner of Second and Ohio streets. Shown standing on the steps is Mrs. B. L. Pierce. Prior to Irving's receiving bus service in 1930, she operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas for Irvingites. The man on the left is Grover Pierce, the little girl is Doris Jean Taylor, and the woman in the fur coat is Mrs. Buck Mitchell.
Description: The Elm school served the farming community know as Elm which was located just north of Irving. Pictured in the back row left to right are: teacher Mrs. Holland, Lee Metker, Mary Farine, Ruth Holt, Lucy Parker, Sadie Watkins, Henry Farine, and Maudie Carroll. Next row: Lucy Farine, John Farine, Gus Story, Clyde Allen, Arthur Farine, Lillian Works, and Lela Toler. Next row: Ora Seat, Bill Metker, Foy Holt, Irene Nichols, Thelma Works, and Ann Carroll. Front row: Howard Parker, Fred Story, Milton Holt, Roy Bailey, and Bertha Farine.
Description: R. M. Hudson began publishing the "Irving Index" in December 1903. He worked from his home in Dallas for five years. In 1908, he moved into this house in Irving. Hudson and his wife Mary had four children. Youngest son Tom can be seen at the fence in this photo. R. M. Hudson published the "Irving Index" from 1903 until 1916.
Description: W. L. Smith built one of the first business establishements in Irving in 1904. However, in 1905, he sold the building to the Miller brothers, who opened a general store. Chaney Miller, one of the proprietors of Miller Brothers, served as Irving's second mayor and was Justice of the Peace for the precinct from the 1920s-1940s. He had also been a Dallas County Commissioner during the 1890s. His brother, Fletcher Miller, served as mayor in the 1920s before moving to Dallas.
Description: R. M. Hudson operated Irving's first newspaper the "Irving Index." He ran the paper from 1903 until 1916. His home was on the northwest corner of Fourth and Jefferson streets. He is pictured here in front of his house with his wife Mary and daughter Veda. Not pictured are their sons Robert, Andrew, and Tom.
Description: The D. W. Gilbert home stood from 1882 to 1955 near the northwest corner of Story and Grauwyler Roads. Dr. D. W. Gilbert was one of the first physicians to practice in the Irving area. In addition to his work as a physician, he operated a 1,500-acre farm and orchard and a dairy. He also owned farmland in Euless, Shady Grove, and Bear Creek.
Description: In the fall of 1902, a Rock Island Railway survey crew was working a stretch of line between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth when two of the members decided to found a town along the route of the track. J. O. Schulze and Otis Brown finished their work with the railroad and remained in the area, where they founded the town of Irving in December 1903. C. P. Schulze, Jr, brother of J. O. Schulze is on the far left.
Description: Constructed in May 1904 as the home of Joseph B. Howard and his wife, Susan, it stood on 2.5 acres just south of Irving's city limits. Eugene and May Ann Beaufford bought the property in 1919. They operated a truck farm on the acreage. They later divided the land among their children.
Description: Before Irving received bus service, one of the ways to travel to downtown Dallas was on one of the local jitney services. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas and back. Here she poses with some of her customers, c. 1915.
Description: Prior to Irving receiving bus service in 1930, several Irvingites operated jitney services to transport locals from Irving to downtown Dallas. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated one of the first of these services. In this photo, she posed around the jitney with her customers, c. 1915.
Description: This photo is taken looking north up Main Street. The town's water tower was over a well in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and First Street (today Irving Blvd.). Main Street dead-ended into the railroad depot. The depot can be seen behind the water tower.
Description: Dr. John Roberts and his wife Etta Williams Roberts in their horse-drawn buggy. Dr. Roberts was one of Irving's first physicians. He died at the age of 35 in 1918. The couple had three sons, one of whom became a physician and was instrumental in the development of Irving's first hospital during the 1950s and 1960s.
Description: This group of musicians played for square dances in the Union Bower community. Dances were held in the fall and winter because the weather was too hot during the summer. Left to right are: Tom Owens, Earl Steele, Lillie Owens, and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not in the picture. Union Bower was a farming community on the eastern edge of the city of Irving. The community was established about 1880.