Irving Archives - Browse
Showing: 121 - 138 of 138 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: William Haley and his family moved to the area during the late 1850s. They settled northwest of the future town site of Irving in what became known as the Estelle community. Tom Haley, William's son, farmed a large piece of land his father had given him as a wedding gift. When his children became of school age, he decided that it would be more convenient for his wife and kids to stay in Irving during the school year. This is a photo of the home the family rented in town. At the fence on the left is Vera Haley (Anderson) and one of her sisters Bertha Haley (Gleghorn), c. 1911.
Description: View of the interior of one the tents of the members of the Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew that worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas in 1902. Two of the crew members remained behind and founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: c. 1902
Description: Virginia Tucker Schulze, wife of early Irving settler, C. P. Schulze, is seen on horseback with friends on an outing in Pyote, Texas, c. 1910. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze.
Description: Virginia Tucker Schulze on horseback at a ranch in Pyote, Texas. Virginia was the wife of C. P. Schulze, Sr. The Schulze family owned the Irving Lumber Company form it inception in 1903 until it closed during the 1980s. Back of photo reads: "My first ride to Brown's tank, August 1910."
Date: 1908 - 1910
Description: Three women on horseback. Virginia Tucker Schulze with friends at a ranch in Pyote, Texas. Back of photo reads: “First ride to Brown tank, Madeline, Henrietta and Virginia.” Virginia Schulze was married to C. P. Schulze, Sr. The Schulze family owned Irving Lumber Company from the town's inception in 1903 until the 1980s.
Date: 1908 - 1910
Description: W. L. Smith built one of the first business establishements in Irving in 1904. However, in 1905, he sold the building to the Miller brothers, who opened a general store. Chaney Miller, one of the proprietors of Miller Brothers, served as Irving's second mayor and was Justice of the Peace for the precinct from the 1920s-1940s. He had also been a Dallas County Commissioner during the 1890s. His brother, Fletcher Miller, served as mayor in the 1920s before moving to Dallas.
Description: William Smith, area pioneer, built this house in the Union Bower community in 1888. It stood along what would become Maryland Street in Irving until it was torn down in the 1980s. Seen in this 1906 photo are L. G. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Hood, Mrs. Mattie Smith, Bert Smith, Mrs. Jennie Smith, William Hood, and Frank and Charlie Voirin.