Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Henry Britain Home

Description: The home of Henry W. Britain, the rancher who sold eighty acres to J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown for the original Irving townsite. The land sold for $30 an acre. This home was located near Nursery and Perry roads. Further to the south, Britain watered his livestock at the pond near the intersection of Nursery and Irving Blvd. The Britain family came to this area in 1859. Dave, Lee, Eunice, and Henry W. Britain are among those in the photo.
Date: 1903~

Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story

Description: Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story. The Story family came from Illinois to the area that would later become Irving in 1855.
Date: unknown

Hezekiah Story Family

Description: The Story family was one of the pioneer families to the region. Here Hezekiah Story is pictured with his family.
Date: 1890~

Howard-Beaufford House

Description: Constructed in May 1904 as the home of Joseph B. Howard and his wife, Susan, it stood on 2.5 acres just south of Irving's city limits. Eugene and May Ann Beaufford bought the property in 1919. They operated a truck farm on the acreage. They later divided the land among their children.
Date: 1904~

Irving Cotton Gin

Description: The cotton gin, located at Irving Boulevard and Britain, was dismantled about 1916.
Date: 1916~

Irving High School Football Team, 1924

Description: Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row: Marshall “Bobby” Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain, and W. S. Fields, with water boy John Steele
Date: 1924

Irving High School Graduating Class of 1916

Description: Graduating class of Irving High School, 1916. First row, front to back, are: Osten Cushenberry, Frank Haley, and Roy Lively. Second row, front to back, are: Theo Dehaes, Inez Moore, Homer Duckworth. Third row, front to back, are: Susie Clark, Velma Duckworth, and Roy Miller.
Date: 1916

Irving Index Workshop

Description: This building served as the home of the "Irving Index" in Irving. It was built behind the home of the newspaper's owner, R. M. Hudson.
Date: 1910~

Irving Motoring Enthusiasts

Description: Early Irvingites prepare for a motor outing, c. 1912. On the left is the Schulze family automobile and on the right is the Robinson family car. The boy on the running board is Joe Williamson. Behind the wheel is Percy Schulze and next to him is his wife, Virginia. In the other vehicle, in no particular order are, Mr. T. G. Robinson, Mr. Williamson, May Williamson, Mrs. T. G. Robinson, Ward Robinson, and Mrs. Marsh.
Date: 1912~

Irving School Sixth Grade Class, 1923 - 1924

Description: The sixth grade class of the Irving Schools, 1923-24. Charles Schulze is on top row, second from left. Charles Schulze was the nephew of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. The Schulze family ran Irving Lumber Company for many decades. Charles Schulze was a member of the city commission and worked to make Irving a home rule city in the early 1950s.
Date: 1924

Irving School's Third Grade Class, c. 1930s

Description: Mrs. White's third grade class, c. 1930s. The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The building in this photograph was a three-story red brick building that was constructed in 1913.
Date: 1930~

Irving State Bank Board of Directors, 1949

Description: Members of the Irving State Bank board of directors, 1949. Standing left to right are: Dr. F. M. Gilbert; W. E. Harrington; John Brandenburg; Charlie Lucas; and Zack Gilliland; seated left to right are: Charles Schulze, Jr.; Louis Blaylock; Mac Clawson; Bill Gilbert; Larry Bellah; W. H. (Boots) Roberts; and Gus Crassons.
Date: 1949

Irving Student Body at the Water Tower

Description: The student body of the Irving Independent School District gathers at the water tower, which was in the middle of the intersection of Main and First streets (Irving Blvd.), to celebrate growing to a district of 500 students, c. 1915.
Date: 1915~

Irving Train Depot

Description: Two men in front of the Irving train depot. The Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway built this depot in 1904.
Date: 1906~

J. B. Howard House

Description: A lady standing on a porch at the Howard home at 318 Iowa (now O’Connor Rd.), believed to be Irving's oldest existing house, built in 1904.
Date: 1904~

J. O. and Agnes Schulze, c. 1904

Description: J. O. Schulze and his wife Agnes Sueppel Schulze in the doorway of their home, c. 1904. J. O. Schulze co-foundef the city of Irving, Texas, in 1903. He married Agnes Sueppel during that same year. Both were natives of Iowa City, Iowa. Due to Agnes's poor health, the couple left Irving and returned to Iowa City in 1905. The man in the center of the doorway is unidentified.
Date: c. 1904

J. O. Schulze at Desk in Tent, c. 1902

Description: J. O. Schulze, head of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew, at work in his field tent, c. 1902. The survey crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. In Texas, they worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. Schulze and fellow crew member Otis Brown remained in the area and founded the town of Irving along the tracks between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

J. O. Schulze, c. 1960

Description: Portrait of J. O. Schulze smoking a pipe, c. 1960. J. O. Schulze co-founded the city of Irving, Texas, in 1903. He was born in Iowa City, Iowa, in 1875. He was head of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew when he came to Texas. He left the crew and founded the town of Irving along the tracks of the CRI&G between Dallas and Fort Worth in December 1903. During the summer of 1903, he married Agnes Sueppel Schulze in Iowa City, Iowa.
Date: 1960~

J. O. Schulze in Suit and Derby, c. 1904

Description: J. O. Schulze in suit, overcoat, and derby, c. 1904. J. O. Schulze was co-founder of the town of Irving, Texas, in December of 1903. He had been leader of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew that worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. He and fellow crew member Otis Brown decided to remain in the area, and they established the town of Irving in 1903.
Date: c. 1904

J. O. Schulze's House in Irving, c. 1904

Description: Home of J. O. and Agnes Schulze in Irving, Texas, c. 1904. J. O. Schulze was the co-founder of the city of Irving in 1903. He and his wife built this house in Irving in about 1904. Due to Agnes's poor health, the couple had to return to Iowa City, Iowa in 1905. The house, which stood on the east side of Ohio Street in the first block south of present-day Irving Boulevard, burned in the mid-1980s.
Date: c. 1904

[J. O. Shulze Playing with a Fox Puppy]

Description: Photograph of J. O. Schulze, the leader of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew, playing with the crew's pet fox, c. 1902. He is sitting on the ground outside of a tent and has the fox in his lap. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. In Texas, they worked a stretch of line between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas. J. O. Schulze and Otis Brown, another crew member, remained behind and established the town of Irving along the tracks between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1903.
Date: 1902~