Irving Archives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

J. O. Schulze, c. 1960

Description: Portrait of J. O. Schulze smoking a pipe, c. 1960. J. O. Schulze co-founded the city of Irving, Texas, in 1903. He was born in Iowa City, Iowa, in 1875. He was head of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew when he came to Texas. He left the crew and founded the town of Irving along the tracks of the CRI&G between Dallas and Fort Worth in December 1903. During the summer of 1903, he married Agnes Sueppel Schulze in Iowa City, Iowa.
Date: 1960~

J. O. Schulze in Suit and Derby, c. 1904

Description: J. O. Schulze in suit, overcoat, and derby, c. 1904. J. O. Schulze was co-founder of the town of Irving, Texas, in December of 1903. He had been leader of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew that worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. He and fellow crew member Otis Brown decided to remain in the area, and they established the town of Irving in 1903.
Date: c. 1904

J. O. Schulze's House in Irving, c. 1904

Description: Home of J. O. and Agnes Schulze in Irving, Texas, c. 1904. J. O. Schulze was the co-founder of the city of Irving in 1903. He and his wife built this house in Irving in about 1904. Due to Agnes's poor health, the couple had to return to Iowa City, Iowa in 1905. The house, which stood on the east side of Ohio Street in the first block south of present-day Irving Boulevard, burned in the mid-1980s.
Date: c. 1904

[J. O. Shulze Playing with a Fox Puppy]

Description: Photograph of J. O. Schulze, the leader of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew, playing with the crew's pet fox, c. 1902. He is sitting on the ground outside of a tent and has the fox in his lap. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. In Texas, they worked a stretch of line between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas. J. O. Schulze and Otis Brown, another crew member, remained behind and established the town of Irving along the tracks between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1903.
Date: 1902~

Jerry and Della Story

Description: Jerry and Della Story. When the post office moved from the Kit community to the town of Irving in 1904, Jerry Story served as temporary postmaster.
Date: 1904

Joseph Schulze

Description: Joseph Schulze, father of J. O. Schulze and C. P. Schulze, n.d. J. O. Schulze co-founded the city of Irving, Texas, in 1903. He started Irving Lumber Company that same year. J. O. returned to Iowa City in 1905, and his brother C. P. ran Irving Lumber from 1905 until his death in 1957.
Date: unknown

Kit Store and Ike Story Family

Description: Postmaster Isaac Henry “Ike” Story sits in front of the post office and general store for the community of Kit. The sign on top of the building spells out the name of Kit, but with an eye instead of an "i". People in photo: Nancy Story (wife), Ike Story, Lillie Leona Story Kinney (daughter), Opal Elizabeth Kinney (granddaughter), and Sallie Jane Story Bell (daughter). The Kit community was about a mile east of where Irving would be established in 1903.
Date: c. 1896

Lloyd Smith and Brother

Description: Lloyd and Bertie Smith, sons of William and Virginia Smith, area pioneers in the Union Bower community, c. 1894.
Date: 1894~

Lucas and Joffre Store

Description: Lucas and Joffre Store was founded by W. D. "Doug" Lucas and Fred Joffre in 1906 on the west side of Irving's Main Street. Lucas and Joffre split, but W. D. Lucas maintained a store on Main Street until he died in 1931.
Date: 1906

Lucas Children in Front of Car

Description: Lorene Lucas (Looper) flanked by her brothers Howard and Ray. These were the children of W. D. Lucas, who was a long-time owner of a general merchandise store on Main St. The three pose in front of Lorene's new car in 1929. In an interview, Lorene said that the dress she was wearing was blue and yellow and matched the blue car with its yellow trim.
Date: 1929

Lucas Family

Description: Lucas family left to right: Mahala Williams Lucas Roberts, Henry Lucas, Doug Lucas, Charlie Lucas, Jack Lucas, and Etta Williams Roberts
Date: unknown

E. M. Story Children, 1909

Description: The children of E. M. Story. Left to right are: Louis, Myrtle, Clarence, and Jane, 1909. The Story family were some of the first pioneers in northwest Dallas County. They came to the Irving area during the mid-nineteenth century.
Date: 1909

E. M. Story House, 1909

Description: E. M. Story house, 1909. The Story family came to the Irving area during the second half of the 19th century. This house was on Britain Road near old downtown Irving. Shown in the picture are: front row: Clarence, Jane, and Myrtle Story; back row: unidentified, E. M. Story, and his wife Kate.
Date: 1909

Main Street, Irving, Texas

Description: This photo is taken looking north up Main Street. The town's water tower was over a well in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and First Street (today Irving Blvd.). Main Street dead-ended into the railroad depot. The depot can be seen behind the water tower.
Date: 1912~

Man Posing with a Horse at Surveyors' Camp, c. 1902

Description: A man and a horse in a field with survey crew camp in background, c. 1902. A Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew surveyed a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas in 1902. Two of the members remained behind and founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

Man Sitting on a Horse, c. 1902

Description: A man sitting on a horse. The Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew camp can be seen in the background, c. 1902. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. They worked a ten- mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas. Two of the crew members remained behind and founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

Man Standing in Field, c. 1902

Description: Unidentified member of the Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. The crew worked and ten-mile stretch of track between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1902. Two of the crew members remained behind and founded the town of Irving in 1903.
Date: c. 1902

Miss Hicks Millinery

Description: Fannie Hicks ran a millinery store on Main Street during Irving's early years. She later married T. C. Haley, the proprietor of another Main Street business. In 1909, she closed her store.
Date: 1906

Model T Ford

Description: Model T Ford Pickup. In the vehicle are W. D. Lucas's sons Howard and Ray, c. 1915
Date: 1915~

Mrs. B. L. Pierce's House

Description: This house was located at the northeast corner of Second and Ohio streets. Shown standing on the steps is Mrs. B. L. Pierce. Prior to Irving's receiving bus service in 1930, she operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas for Irvingites. The man on the left is Grover Pierce, the little girl is Doris Jean Taylor, and the woman in the fur coat is Mrs. Buck Mitchell.
Date: 1933~

Mrs. Pierce's Jitney Service

Description: Before Irving received bus service, one of the ways to travel to downtown Dallas was on one of the local jitney services. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas and back. Here she poses with some of her customers, c. 1915.
Date: 1915~

Musicians in the Union Bower Community

Description: This group of musicians played for square dances in the Union Bower community. Dances were held in the fall and winter because the weather was too hot during the summer. Left to right are: Tom Owens, Earl Steele, Lillie Owens, and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not in the picture. Union Bower was a farming community on the eastern edge of the city of Irving. The community was established about 1880.
Date: 1910~

Myrtle Story White and Jim White, 1919

Description: Photograph of Myrtle Story White and husband Jim White, 1919. They are standing on a dirt road in front of a a white picket fence. The Story family was one of the pioneer families of northwest Dallas County.
Date: 1919