Museum of the American Railroad - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Burt C. Blanton at the Depot in Erwin, Tennessee]

Description: The author - Burt C. Blanton - stands on the open platform of the Clinchfield Railroad's Office Car No. 100, which is located on a siding adjacent to the passenger depot at Erwin, Tennessee. The time is noon, Sunday, June 10, 1979. This was a modern car with a complement of conventional equipment. The exterior was painted dark green. The cars letterboard bore the name "Clinchfield" plus the number 100 positioned on either side, centered below the windows, all in gold leaf. There was a gold stripe near the car's base, running along each side and across the rear-end platform. Office Car No. 100 was formerly an Atlantic Coast Lines dining car bearing the name "Orlando" and the car was rebuilt in the Clinchfield's Erwin Shops.
Date: June 10, 1979
Item Type: Photograph

[Clinchfield's Railroad's Special Excursion train]

Description: A survivor of the "Glory Days of Steam" - the author: Burt C. Blanton - momentarily delays departure of the Clinchfield Railroad's special excursion train wich is standing at the Marion, North Carolina Depot; scheduled to leave at 9:00 am on Sunday morning, June 10, 1979. The train is headed by the Clinchfield's passenger locomotives, No. 200, type FP-7A, and No. 800, type F-7A. The consist was eight cars. The train's route was in a northerly direction from Marion to Erwin, Tennessee - a rail distance of 82.3 miles. The Clinchfield Railroad is a typical mountain line (standard gauge) - 275 miles in length - completed on February 9, 1915, at an average cost of $201,000 per mile. It's rails traverse a portion of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the railroad crosses the Eastern Transcontinental Divide in the Blue Ridge Tunnel which has a length of 1,865 feet. There are 55 tunnels on the route, ranging from 154 to 7,865 feet. This excellent short line railroad extends from the southern terminus, Spartanburg, South Carolina, via Marion, North Carolina to Erwin, Tennessee; and thence to the northern terminus at Elkhorn City, Kentucky.
Date: June 10, 1979
Item Type: Photograph

["The Flying Scotsman" leaving Dallas]

Description: The famed English locomotive, London and North Eastern Railway's No 4472, "The Flying Scotsman" with its nine car consist leaving Dallas early on the morning of June 20, 1970. A southbound KATY freight train waits on the siding.
Date: June 20, 1970
Creator: Mizell, Charles M.
Item Type: Photograph

["C.P. Huntington" locomotive]

Description: Southern Pacific's No. 1 locomotive - the C.P. Huntington - type 4-2-4T, built in the shops of Danforth, Cooke and Company of Paterson, New Jersey, in 1863. This diminutive steam engine was the first to cross the Huey P. Long Bridge spanning the Mississippi River during opening ceremonies on December 16, 1935.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

["Chessie"]

Description: Illustration of "Chessie" the cat, mascot for Pullman passenger rail line (the Chesapeake and Ohio) with the slogan "Sleep Like a Kitten". This cat is depicted sleeping in a Pullman berth which constitutes a framed picture mounted on the wall where entry is made into the Pullman car.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Dallas Passenger Depot]

Description: The Texas and Pacific Railway's Dallas passenger depot located on the south side of Pacific Avenue t the intersection of Lamar Street. This depot was in service until the Dallas Union Terminal was opened in the autumn of 1916.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Dearborn Station]

Description: Dearborn Station, completed and opened to service in 1885, was owned by the Chicago and Western Indiana Railroad Company, together with its five owner companies. The station's main floor and mezzanine waiting rooms were completely modernized in 1947. This modernization program included the Fred Harvey operated restaurant and cocktail lounge.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Grand Central Station in Chicago]

Description: One if the nation's greatest rail terminals was the Baltimore and Ohio's Grand Central Station in Chicago. The station has a large clock tower on the corner and automobiles outside on the street. Grand Central Station was opened on Dec 8, 1890.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Main Waiting Room at Pennsylvania Station in New York]

Description: View of Main Waiting Room in Pennsylvania Station, New York, looking towards the Main Information Desk (left) and moving stairs (right). In the background are visible some of the ticket windows and near the head of the stairs the bronze statue of Samuel Rea, former president of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Measuring 300 feet long, 110 feet wide and 150 feet tall, this room is comparable in size to the nave of St. Peter's Cathedral in Rome. It could engulf an ordinary 15-story skyscraper.
Date: 1970~
Item Type: Photograph

[Rails at Jamaica Station]

Description: Long Island Rail Road's Jamaica Station, looking west toward New York, October 21, 1970. Passenger trains run through this station on an average of one every thirty seconds during peak periods of commuter travel. This is one of the world's busiest rail terminals. Note the outside paralleling third rail beside the respective tracks which provides electrical energy. Trains are powered from 650-volt Direct Current. Two-thirds of all passenger trains on the Long Island Rail Road operate in electrified territory.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Santa Barbara bridge in Mexico]

Description: Chihuahua - Pacific Railway's route across North Central Mexico from Ojinaga on the Rio Grande, opposite Presidio, Texas to Topolobampo on the Gulf of California constitutes a tortuous and fantastic stretch of rails. This photograph is a birds eye view of the famous horse shoe curve of the Santa Barbara bridge in the mountains.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

["Super Chief" dining car]

Description: The passenger gourmet is ushered to a fine setting of snowy linens, gleaming, gleaming silver and superb cuisine aboard the dining car in the consist of the Santa Fe's "Super Chief". The tradition of food and service as provided by Fred Harvey beginning in the early days of this railroad remains constant.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[As the "Centuries" Pass in the Night]

Description: In an era of long ago, this famous painting by William H. Foster, 1923, titled: "As the 'Centuries' Pass in the Night" was extensively used in advertising by the New York Central Lines.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Union Station in Washington D.C.]

Description: This massive structure is the Union Station in Washington D.C. on July 25, 1969. This terminal has a total of thirty tracks, of which nine are through tracks and twenty-one are stub end. A portion of the station's tracks are electrified by the overhead catenary system thereby Permitting Penn Central's GG1 Electric Locomotives heading passenger trains, the "Metroliners", and electric powered multiple unit commuter trains to serve the terminal.
Date: July 25, 1969
Creator: Hanlon, Pat
Item Type: Photograph

[Chicago Union Station]

Description: One of the nation's great railroad passenger terminals, the Chicago Union Station on July 13, 1969.
Date: July 13, 1969
Creator: Hanlon, Pat
Item Type: Photograph

["Panama Limited" stands at New Orleans terminal]

Description: Illinois Central Railroad's "Panama Limited" train No. 6, northbound, stands in the New Orleans' Union Passenger Terminal awaiting the hour of departure on its overnight run to Chicago on May 25, 1969.
Date: May 25, 1969
Creator: Hanlon, Pat
Item Type: Photograph

[Chicago Union Station - South Side]

Description: South side of the Chicago Union Station which is used by passenger trains of the Penn Central, Burlington Northern and Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroads. The north side of this station is used by trains of the Milwaukee Road.
Date: May 16, 1969
Item Type: Photograph

[Union Station in Dallas]

Description: One of the nation's finest railroad terminals: Dallas Union Station which is served by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, known as Amtrak, and soon to be served by commuter trains, operating between Dallas - Fort Worth and other North Texas points. The station is owned by the City of Dallas and represents an investment and modernization aggregating fifteen million dollars.
Date: September 1968
Creator: Freeman, G. Robert
Item Type: Photograph