Museum of the American Railroad - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED
[Burt C. Blanton at the Depot in Erwin, Tennessee]
The author - Burt C. Blanton - stands on the open platform of the Clinchfield Railroad's Office Car No. 100, which is located on a siding adjacent to the passenger depot at Erwin, Tennessee. The time is noon, Sunday, June 10, 1979. This was a modern car with a complement of conventional equipment. The exterior was painted dark green. The cars letterboard bore the name "Clinchfield" plus the number 100 positioned on either side, centered below the windows, all in gold leaf. There was a gold stripe near the car's base, running along each side and across the rear-end platform. Office Car No. 100 was formerly an Atlantic Coast Lines dining car bearing the name "Orlando" and the car was rebuilt in the Clinchfield's Erwin Shops.
[Clinchfield's Railroad's Special Excursion train]
A survivor of the "Glory Days of Steam" - the author: Burt C. Blanton - momentarily delays departure of the Clinchfield Railroad's special excursion train wich is standing at the Marion, North Carolina Depot; scheduled to leave at 9:00 am on Sunday morning, June 10, 1979. The train is headed by the Clinchfield's passenger locomotives, No. 200, type FP-7A, and No. 800, type F-7A. The consist was eight cars. The train's route was in a northerly direction from Marion to Erwin, Tennessee - a rail distance of 82.3 miles. The Clinchfield Railroad is a typical mountain line (standard gauge) - 275 miles in length - completed on February 9, 1915, at an average cost of $201,000 per mile. It's rails traverse a portion of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the railroad crosses the Eastern Transcontinental Divide in the Blue Ridge Tunnel which has a length of 1,865 feet. There are 55 tunnels on the route, ranging from 154 to 7,865 feet. This excellent short line railroad extends from the southern terminus, Spartanburg, South Carolina, via Marion, North Carolina to Erwin, Tennessee; and thence to the northern terminus at Elkhorn City, Kentucky.
[Burt C. Blanton and G. Robert Freeman, Jr. in Denison, Texas]
Burt C. Blanton and G. Robert Freeman, Jr. have just de-trained from a trip aboard the "Flying Scotsman" at the KATY Station in Denison, Texas on June 20, 1970.
["The Flying Scotsman" leaving Dallas]
The famed English locomotive, London and North Eastern Railway's No 4472, "The Flying Scotsman" with its nine car consist leaving Dallas early on the morning of June 20, 1970. A southbound KATY freight train waits on the siding.
["C.P. Huntington" locomotive]
Southern Pacific's No. 1 locomotive - the C.P. Huntington - type 4-2-4T, built in the shops of Danforth, Cooke and Company of Paterson, New Jersey, in 1863. This diminutive steam engine was the first to cross the Huey P. Long Bridge spanning the Mississippi River during opening ceremonies on December 16, 1935.
["Chessie"]
Illustration of "Chessie" the cat, mascot for Pullman passenger rail line (the Chesapeake and Ohio) with the slogan "Sleep Like a Kitten". This cat is depicted sleeping in a Pullman berth which constitutes a framed picture mounted on the wall where entry is made into the Pullman car.
[Dallas Passenger Depot]
The Texas and Pacific Railway's Dallas passenger depot located on the south side of Pacific Avenue t the intersection of Lamar Street. This depot was in service until the Dallas Union Terminal was opened in the autumn of 1916.
[Dearborn Station]
Dearborn Station, completed and opened to service in 1885, was owned by the Chicago and Western Indiana Railroad Company, together with its five owner companies. The station's main floor and mezzanine waiting rooms were completely modernized in 1947. This modernization program included the Fred Harvey operated restaurant and cocktail lounge.
[Grand Central Station in Chicago]
One if the nation's greatest rail terminals was the Baltimore and Ohio's Grand Central Station in Chicago. The station has a large clock tower on the corner and automobiles outside on the street. Grand Central Station was opened on Dec 8, 1890.
[Main Waiting Room at Pennsylvania Station in New York]
View of Main Waiting Room in Pennsylvania Station, New York, looking towards the Main Information Desk (left) and moving stairs (right). In the background are visible some of the ticket windows and near the head of the stairs the bronze statue of Samuel Rea, former president of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Measuring 300 feet long, 110 feet wide and 150 feet tall, this room is comparable in size to the nave of St. Peter's Cathedral in Rome. It could engulf an ordinary 15-story skyscraper.
[Monterrey Depot]
Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico Depot with horse-drawn carriages outside.
[Rails at Jamaica Station]
Long Island Rail Road's Jamaica Station, looking west toward New York, October 21, 1970. Passenger trains run through this station on an average of one every thirty seconds during peak periods of commuter travel. This is one of the world's busiest rail terminals. Note the outside paralleling third rail beside the respective tracks which provides electrical energy. Trains are powered from 650-volt Direct Current. Two-thirds of all passenger trains on the Long Island Rail Road operate in electrified territory.
[Santa Barbara bridge in Mexico]
Chihuahua - Pacific Railway's route across North Central Mexico from Ojinaga on the Rio Grande, opposite Presidio, Texas to Topolobampo on the Gulf of California constitutes a tortuous and fantastic stretch of rails. This photograph is a birds eye view of the famous horse shoe curve of the Santa Barbara bridge in the mountains.
[Santa Fe train crossing the Trinity River Bridge]
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway train No. 111, headed by engine No. 12, a 4000 H.P. electro-motive diesel locomotive, on the Trinity River Bridge in Dallas.
[Southern Pacific Locomotive in Dallas]
Southern Pacific engine No. 651, a type 4-6-2 locomotive in the Dallas Yards in 1949.
["Super Chief" dining car]
The passenger gourmet is ushered to a fine setting of snowy linens, gleaming, gleaming silver and superb cuisine aboard the dining car in the consist of the Santa Fe's "Super Chief". The tradition of food and service as provided by Fred Harvey beginning in the early days of this railroad remains constant.
[As the "Centuries" Pass in the Night]
In an era of long ago, this famous painting by William H. Foster, 1923, titled: "As the 'Centuries' Pass in the Night" was extensively used in advertising by the New York Central Lines.
[Union Station in Washington D.C.]
This massive structure is the Union Station in Washington D.C. on July 25, 1969. This terminal has a total of thirty tracks, of which nine are through tracks and twenty-one are stub end. A portion of the station's tracks are electrified by the overhead catenary system thereby Permitting Penn Central's GG1 Electric Locomotives heading passenger trains, the "Metroliners", and electric powered multiple unit commuter trains to serve the terminal.
[Chicago Union Station]
One of the nation's great railroad passenger terminals, the Chicago Union Station on July 13, 1969.
["Panama Limited" stands at New Orleans terminal]
Illinois Central Railroad's "Panama Limited" train No. 6, northbound, stands in the New Orleans' Union Passenger Terminal awaiting the hour of departure on its overnight run to Chicago on May 25, 1969.
[Chicago Union Station - South Side]
South side of the Chicago Union Station which is used by passenger trains of the Penn Central, Burlington Northern and Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroads. The north side of this station is used by trains of the Milwaukee Road.
[Concourse Area of Chicago Union Station]
Concourse area of the Chicago Union Station looking toward the main waiting rooms on May 16, 1969.
[Rail lines south of Dallas' Union Station]
Main rail lines approaching the Dallas Union Station from the south.
[Union Station in Dallas]
One of the nation's finest railroad terminals: Dallas Union Station which is served by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, known as Amtrak, and soon to be served by commuter trains, operating between Dallas - Fort Worth and other North Texas points. The station is owned by the City of Dallas and represents an investment and modernization aggregating fifteen million dollars.
[Union Station in Denver]
Union Station in Denver, Colorado at 7:35 am (notice the clock) on the morning of May 31, 1968.
["Autovias" train in Mexican mountains]
Chihuahua - Pacific Railway's "Autovias" train, consisting of fiat diesel cars coming out of one of the 73 tunnels which are located on the line between La Junta and El Fuerte, Mexico on the 281 mile portion of the route traversing the mountain region over the Continental Divide around 1968.
[Rail Car crossing the Chinipas Bridge]
Fiat Diesel rail car crossing the Chinipas Bridge on the Chihuahua - Pacific Railway enroute through the Sierra Tarahumara (Copper Canyon) region of Mexico around 1968.
[Entrance to New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal]
One of the finest railroad stations in the South is the New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal. Automobiles are parked outside the terminal near sidewalks and landscaped areas.
[Turntable at San Lazaro engine terminal]
Locomotive No. 67 a consolidation type 2-8-0 rides the turntable in the San Lazaro engine terminal enroute from its roundhouse stall to servicing tracks. The "F.C. I." abbreviation on the tender is Ferro-carril Cuautla Y Ixtla" (Cuauta and Ixtla Railroad). In yesteryears this locomotive ran only on this 50-mile branch line. Soon it will head the National Railways of Mexico's narrow gauge passenger consist on the main line run from Mexico City via Cuauta to Puebla. This 3-foot gauge railroad system is one of the oldest in the Republic. It traverses one of the most picturesque routes in Mexico. June 1967.
[Chicago and Western Indiana Railroad's coach yard]
Aerial view of the Chicago and Western Indiana Railroad's fabulous 51st Street coach yard and facilities in Chicago. At this time the destruction of the nation's great network of rail passenger service was only about two years away.
[Chicago Union Station]
Early morning commuters from Chicago Union Station cross the Jackson Street bridge. In the background is the office portion which contains the Station's main waiting room.
[Interior of Chicago and North Western Railway station]
A typical rush hour scene in the magnificent Chicago Station of the Chicago and North Western Railway.
[Manitou and Pike's Peak Railway]
Passenger train on the Manitou and Pike's Peak Railway headed by engine No. 3, a Baldwin Vauclain compound 0-4-2T steam locomotive, with coach No. 104, traverses the Cog Wheel Route in the summer of 1965.
[Passenger train crossing the Chinipas Bridge]
Chihuahua - Pacific Railway's transcontinental passenger train crossing one of 28 major bridges on the line between Chihuahua City and San Blas in Mexico. This is the Chinipas bridge, which is the highest, located at Kilometer 748. The height is 334.7 feet and the length is 958 feet. Circa 1965.
[Steam engine in valley of Rio de los Animas, Colorado]
Reminiscent of those days of yesteryear Rio Grande's Silverton train No. 461 is chugging northward over narrow gauge rails through the valley of Rio de los Animas in Colorado.
[Menu]
Menu from the automated restaurant on wheels in the consist of the New York Central Railroad's "World Fair Special" train No. 40, eastbound, enroute from Buffalo to New York, September 1964.
[Esperanza Station]
Esperanza Station on the Old Mexican Railway, formerly the "Queen's Own" in August 1964. Photographed from the rear-end of passenger train No. 51, eastbound, enroute from Mexico City to Veracruz. This 269-mile line is one of the great scenic routes in the Republic of Mexico.
[Private Rail car at Jalapa, Mexico]
Division Superintendent's private car at Jalapa, Mexico,on the National railways of Mexico's line extending from Veracruz to Mexico City. August 1964. This was formerly the Old Interoceanic Railway, a 3-foot gauge railroad, which was converted to standard gauge in 1948.
["The Chief" in California]
Photograph of Santa Fe's "The Chief" passing "Sullivan's Curve" in rugged Cajon Pass, California, June 1964.
["Land O'Corn" streamliner]
Illinois Central Railroad's modern streamliner, "Land O'Corn", train No. 14, eastbound, enroute from Waterloo, Iowa to Chicago.
[Train on the Old Mexican Railway]
The daylight train No. 51, eastbound, traverses a trestle on the Old Mexican Railway, over the electrified division between Esperanza and Paso del Macho, enroute from Mexico City to Veracruz in August 1964.
["California Zephyr" leaving Chicago]
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad's "California Zephyr", one of the nation's greatest trains, is leaving Chicago for the Pacific Coast, making a cross-over on the main line tracks south of the Chicago's Union Station in October 1963.
[Electro-liner in the Roosevelt Road Yard]
A famous name train which operated for many years between Chicago and Milwaukee, the North Shore Line's "Electro-liner" stands on elevated railway track in the Roosevelt Road Yard, Chicago on January 18, 1963.
["The Abraham Lincoln" departing from Springfield, Illinois]
"The Abraham Lincoln", train No. 2, northbound, departs from Springfield, Illinois in 1963. This Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad train ran from St. Louis to Chicago.
[Chihuahua - Pacific Railway train on Santa Barbara Bridge]
Chihuahua - Pacific Railway's passenger train on the horse shoe curve of the Santa Barbara bridge in a region of mountain vastness in the state of Chihuahua, Mexico around 1963.
[Six Tracks of the Chicago Union Station]
Six tracks south of the Chicago Union Station were busy on this autumn day in 1963. Burlington commuter train (center) backs into the station. The Morning Zephyr is pulled by a switcher on its way to be washed, turned and cleaned for its return run to the Twin Cities as the Afternoon Zephyr. Pennsylvania's The General is departing for New York and the Broadway Limited, which has just arrived from the East, is backing into the terminal.
[San Antonio depot]
Missouri - Kansas - texas Railroad's beautiful Spanish Mission style depot in the "Alamo City" in May 1962. This was the San Antonio home of the KATY's famous trains, the "Texas Special", "The Bluebonnet" and "The Katy Flyer"
[Stalled train near Carneros]
Stalled on the grade to Carneros --- Coahuila and Zacatecas Railroad's southbound freight headed by Engine No. 261, a Consolidation type 2-8-0, leased from the National Railways of Mexico, is over taken by a second freight, double-headed by Coahuila and Zacatecas' Engines Nos. 12 and 3, both Consolidation types. Then the mixed train arrives, headed by Coahuila and Zacatecas' Engine No. 11, also a Consolidation type. It pushed as well. Eventually these trains arrived at Carneros station which is the highest point on this narrow gauge railroad, elevation 6,873 feet. Carneros is located 25 miles south of Saltillo.
[Train at Avalos station in Mexico]
Coahuila and Zacatecas Railroad train No. 11, westbound, headed by a type 2-6-0 locomotive, at Avalos on January 1, 1961. This runs in a 3 foot narrow gauge railroad.
["The Grand Canyon" traverses Raton Pass]
Santa Fe's "The Grand Canyon", headed by nine GM Diesel Units, 18,000 horsepower, with a consist of twenty-three cars traverses Raton Pass in Mew Mexico on September 17, 1960.