Museum of the Gulf Coast - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[First CavOilCade Dinner]

Description: Photograph of rows of dinners seated and eating with a head table in the background. On the curtain behind reads "We Appreciate Your Faith in Port Arthur". Handwritten on the reverse of the photograph: "1st celebration of CavOilCade" "Oct. 14, 1952 - dinner to salute oil industry. Became CavOilCade in 1953." "Valuable, return picture to: Lyle Vickers, 300 Plaza Circle, Port Arthur, TX."
Date: October 14, 1952

[View of the Plant]

Description: Photograph of the Port Neches Works Plant, looking north. Multiple round structures and a series of buildings cover the grounds, and there is a road and railroad tracks to the west. The upper left hand corner reads "Port Neches Works, looking north 1952." Handwriting on the back and an accompanying card (with the Texaco logo on the bottom) label the photograph "View of the Plant looking north."
Date: 1952

[Group in Chamber of Commerce]

Description: Photograph of a group of men and a few women sitting in chairs at a meeting in the Chamber of Commerce building in Port Arthur, Texas. A man holding a piece of paper, identified as Mack Thomas, stands at the front of the room. Two pictures of ships are balanced on top of full bookshelves, and a photo of a woman hangs on the wall in the background.
Date: 1951

[Port Arthur Chamber of Commerce]

Description: Photograph of a group of men, all members of the 1955 Port Arthur Chamber of Commerce, posing together. Those in the rear are, from left to right, W. F. Spiegel, Sr.; T. B. Ellison; Leo Bryant; and Emery Taylor. Those in the middle row are Jack Craig, Lyle Vickers, Bert Lloyd, Don Hendryx, J. W. Baker, Mayo Wells, and Henry LeBlanc. The men in the front row are Lyndon Ellerbee, Judge James Kirkland, Ho Mills, Lamar Lawson, J. W. Faulkner, and Al Jenkins.
Date: 1955

[Ship Passing Under Bridge]

Description: Aerial photograph of a ship that has just passed under a large bridge, identified as Rainbow Bridge. The ship is in the right center of the photograph and extends from the bridge to the edge of the frame. The bridge is on the left side of the photograph and a truck and car are visible driving over it. A stamp on the back of the photograph identifies the photograph as J. C. Watkins, and handwriting dates it from September 22, 1954.
Date: September 22, 1954
Creator: Watkins, J. C.

Precast Extension Hanging in Lead

Description: Photograph of a piece of machinery holding an extension piece with a chain. There are holding tanks in the background. To the left, a 1950's model pickup truck with the business name "Spence & Howe Construction Co." written on the side.
Date: May 11, 1951
Creator: J. C. Watkins Photography

Texaco Main Gate 1953

Description: Photograph of the main gate of Texaco in 1953. The gate is attended by a single guard. To the left of the gate is a building bearing a large sign declaring that there has been 1,594,538 man hours since the last "lost time injury." There is also a sign requesting that no reading material be carried inside, and other sign on the gate that requests that no matches be carried inside. Two boxes written with the words "Red Head Matches" stand in front of the building.
Date: 1953