Marshall Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Marshall Downtown Square]

Description: The north area of the Marshall downtown square from the perspective of the E. Houston-Bolivar street intersection. The stores to the right of the image front on Austin street, which runs east-west. Behind the commercial bank sign is a parking lot also known as the McPhail block. The old courhouse is out of view to the left.
Date: c. 2000

[W. Houston Street, Marshall]

Description: Looking east along W. Houston St. toward the center of Marshall. In the middle distance, the red brick structure is Trinity Episcopal Church. The many round-arched windows of the new Harrison County Courthouse are in the far distance. The dome of the old county courthouse can be seen on the top right between the fork of a tree.
Date: unknown

[Marshall High School]

Description: The north facade of Marshall High School viewed from W. Houston Avenue. The building housed the high school grades from 1939 -1988. Then it became Marshall Junior High School. The southeast part of this acreage is the former site of Marshall University, now designated with a Texas historical marker.
Date: unknown

[Fred Douglas Roland]

Description: Mr. Fred Douglas Roland was County Agriculture Agent of Harrison County from 1926-1957. He established several innovative programs like the Sabine Farm Project. He was active in civic organisations such as the Cancer Board and Red Cross. He was also a trustee of Galilee Baptist Church of Marshall. He died in March, 1969.
Date: unknown

[Marshall High School]

Description: View of the north facade of Marshall High School, which became Marshall Junior High School in 1988. On the left side of W. Houston St., which passes in front of the school, are several old residences which are common to the area. The red brick of Trinity Episcopal Church is visible in the far distance. The white spire of First Baptist Church is also visible in the left center of the image.
Date: unknown

[Dorothy Vance Montgomery]

Description: Dorothy Vance Montgomery, musician and educator in Marshall, Texas. Born and reared in Marshall, she received several undergraduate and graduate degrees from Wiley College and the University of Southern California. She taught music in the Marshall Public Schools, 1930-1976. She also taught piano for 44 years at her private studio; was minister of music for 17 years at New Bethel Baptist Church; and was adjunct teacher for 2 years at Wiley College. The image shows her receiving one of several local awards for her long contribution to education.
Date: c. 1976

[Barber and Beauty School]

Description: Valerie Hurd's Barber and Beauty School, located at 304 Noland St. in Marshall, Texas, was a long-time business, c1955-c2001. It was first located on Park School St. and relocated to this address c1959. The building burned about 2001. This picture may date from early 1960's.
Date: unknown

[N. Wellington Street, Marshall]

Description: Street scene in Marshall, Texas shows Hurd's Taxi Service, a long-time business, and Birmingham Department Store in the 200 block of N. Wellington Street.
Date: unknown

[Street Scene, Marshall]

Description: West Houston Street, looking west from the downtown square. On the left is a partial view of the new county courthouse. Beyond it is the Arnot House, on both the federal and Texas registers of historic places. In the distance on the right can be seen the red brick bell tower of Trinity Episcopal Church.
Date: unknown

[Ward Chapel AME Church in Marshall]

Description: View of Ward Chapel AME Church in Marshall, Texas. AME is the African Methodist Episcopal denomination. The church is located at 501 S. Allen Street in the historic "New Town" neighborhood.
Date: unknown

[St. Paul Baptist Church in Marshall]

Description: View of St. Paul Baptist Church in Marshall, Texas. Organized in 1881, the congregation has traditionally African-American roots. The church is located on Texas Highway 43 northeast of the city.
Date: unknown

[Historic Home, Marshall, Texas]

Description: Marshall, Texas has many Victorian-era homes still in existence. Some are in good condition, others are being restored.
Date: unknown

[New Harrison County Courthouse]

Description: The new Harrison County courthouse, built in 1964, is on the west side of the downtown square. On the far right of the image is the registered Arnot House.
Date: unknown

[Cottage in New Town Neighborhood, Marshall, Texas]

Description: The New Town neighborhood in Marshall, Texas was a self-sufficient African-American community containing schools, stores, churches, a college, and many bungalows and cottages. This cottage is typical of the neighborhood. New Town has been selected as a model for preservation under Marshall's Historic Preservation Action Plan.
Date: unknown

[Joseph House in Marshall]

Description: The home of Mack C. and Frankie Joseph was located at 1403 Grafton St. in Marshall. Joseph began a floral business in the home about 1949. By 1951 he had moved the business next door to number 1405. The city directory of 1966 lists only Frankie Joseph as the resident of the home, while 1405 is still the floral shop. The 1968 directory has a new resident; and number 1405 is vacant. In the 2000 directory, neither address is listed; but a street has been cut through. These buildings were located within the "New Town Neighborhood," which is a historic area of African-American homes, businesses, professional offices, hospital, and schools that were established around Wiley College. Although overlaid with faux masonry siding at the time of the picture (1967-1975), this house shows its architectural origins in the roof design, porch with columns, and exposed rafters.
Date: unknown

[Old Harrison County Courthouse]

Description: This building is the old Harrison County Courthouse, the fourth one to serve as the seat of county government and the centerpiece of Marshall. Designed by architect J. Riely Gordon, it was erected in 1900. It has a cruciform plan with an embellished rotunda. Exterior embellishments include pedimented porticoes, pilasters with capitals, and a dramatic dome with eagles and a statue of Lady Justice. In 1926, an addition was constructed. A 21st century renovation has restored the building to its 1926 condition. It will continue its existence as the seat of county government and a museum.
Date: unknown

[Bethesda Baptist Church, Marshall]

Description: An old photograph, date unknown but likely prior to 1897, depicts Bethesda Baptist Church of Marshall. Originally known as "Colored Baptist Church," the members renamed it about 1887 and then added the word "Missionary" during the 1980's to make the official name "Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church." Bethesda is one of the oldest African-American congregations in Harrison County, being founded in 1867 by 450 souls led by Rev. William Massey with the assistance of Rev. A. E. Clemmons, the pastor of the white First Baptist Church. The members met in Rev. Massey's home at 601 Massey St. until the construction of this one-story wooden structure, probably between 1867 and 1875. The plan included a veranda leading to the vestibule, three aisles, and colored glass in the arched Gothic windows. There was an organ, the first in Marshall, and a belfry. Outside facilities included a baptistry and a well. During 1897-1901, this structure was razed and replaced by a larger brick structure of Gothic style which later burned and was itself replaced. However the front facade of the wooden structure was incorporated into the new buildings as a link with the past. The site at 801 W. Grand (Hwy 80) has been owned continuously by this congregation since the deed was acquired in 1867. It is now listed on the "Buard History Trail" as a site significant to Marshall's African-American heritage.
Date: unknown

[James Chapel, Harrison County]

Description: James Chapel in Harrison County has traditional African-American roots. It is located at 4233 Marshall Leigh Road (CR 2200) a short distance northeast of the city limits.
Date: unknown

[Librarian Makes Presentation]

Description: Librarian Dorothy Morrison makes a presentation to two library supporters at a library function. Mrs. Morrison was library director of Marshall Public Library from 1970-1984.
Date: unknown

[Early Grave in Harrison County]

Description: An old tombstone in Harrison County is engraved "Mother Bessie." A cherub's head with wings adorns the stone. The cemetery is unidentified.
Date: unknown