Marshall Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Ward Chapel AME Church in Marshall]

Description: View of Ward Chapel AME Church in Marshall, Texas. AME is the African Methodist Episcopal denomination. The church is located at 501 S. Allen Street in the historic "New Town" neighborhood.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[St. Paul Baptist Church in Marshall]

Description: View of St. Paul Baptist Church in Marshall, Texas. Organized in 1881, the congregation has traditionally African-American roots. The church is located on Texas Highway 43 northeast of the city.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[New Harrison County Courthouse]

Description: The new Harrison County courthouse, built in 1964, is on the west side of the downtown square. On the far right of the image is the registered Arnot House.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Cottage in New Town Neighborhood, Marshall, Texas]

Description: The New Town neighborhood in Marshall, Texas was a self-sufficient African-American community containing schools, stores, churches, a college, and many bungalows and cottages. This cottage is typical of the neighborhood. New Town has been selected as a model for preservation under Marshall's Historic Preservation Action Plan.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Joseph House in Marshall]

Description: The home of Mack C. and Frankie Joseph was located at 1403 Grafton St. in Marshall. Joseph began a floral business in the home about 1949. By 1951 he had moved the business next door to number 1405. The city directory of 1966 lists only Frankie Joseph as the resident of the home, while 1405 is still the floral shop. The 1968 directory has a new resident; and number 1405 is vacant. In the 2000 directory, neither address is listed; but a street has been cut through. These buildings were located within the "New Town Neighborhood," which is a historic area of African-American homes, businesses, professional offices, hospital, and schools that were established around Wiley College. Although overlaid with faux masonry siding at the time of the picture (1967-1975), this house shows its architectural origins in the roof design, porch with columns, and exposed rafters.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Harrison County Courthouse]

Description: This building is the old Harrison County Courthouse, the fourth one to serve as the seat of county government and the centerpiece of Marshall. Designed by architect J. Riely Gordon, it was erected in 1900. It has a cruciform plan with an embellished rotunda. Exterior embellishments include pedimented porticoes, pilasters with capitals, and a dramatic dome with eagles and a statue of Lady Justice. In 1926, an addition was constructed. A 21st century renovation has restored the building to its 1926 condition. It will continue its existence as the seat of county government and a museum.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Bethesda Baptist Church, Marshall]

Description: An old photograph, date unknown but likely prior to 1897, depicts Bethesda Baptist Church of Marshall. Originally known as "Colored Baptist Church," the members renamed it about 1887 and then added the word "Missionary" during the 1980's to make the official name "Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church." Bethesda is one of the oldest African-American congregations in Harrison County, being founded in 1867 by 450 souls led by Rev. William Massey with the assistance of Rev. A. E. Clemmons, the pastor of the white First Baptist Church. The members met in Rev. Massey's home at 601 Massey St. until the construction of this one-story wooden structure, probably between 1867 and 1875. The plan included a veranda leading to the vestibule, three aisles, and colored glass in the arched Gothic windows. There was an organ, the first in Marshall, and a belfry. Outside facilities included a baptistry and a well. During 1897-1901, this structure was razed and replaced by a larger brick structure of Gothic style which later burned and was itself replaced. However the front facade of the wooden structure was incorporated into the new buildings as a link with the past. The site at 801 W. Grand (Hwy 80) has been owned continuously by this congregation since the deed was acquired in 1867. It is now listed on the "Buard History Trail" as a site significant to Marshall's African-American heritage.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[James Chapel, Harrison County]

Description: James Chapel in Harrison County has traditional African-American roots. It is located at 4233 Marshall Leigh Road (CR 2200) a short distance northeast of the city limits.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Librarian Makes Presentation]

Description: Librarian Dorothy Morrison makes a presentation to two library supporters at a library function. Mrs. Morrison was library director of Marshall Public Library from 1970-1984.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Tombstone]

Description: An old tombstone in a Harrison County cemetery, unidentified, has the following inscription: "E. B. --------- Born January 7, 1831 Deceased May 5, 1858" The stone lies where it fell amid the vegetation.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Dr. Everett H. Leach, Harrison County Physician]

Description: Dr. Everett H. Leach, African-American physician, was born in Marshall in 1879 or 1881 (tombstone date). He entered Bishop College at age twelve. He received his medical degree from Flynt Medical College in New Orleans. Later he studied at Illinois Post-Graduate School in Chicago. He settled in the rural Leigh community east of Marshall, where he built a practice, erected a drug store and office, and owned two farms. Later he moved to Marshall and commuted to Leigh by automobile. According to his tombstone, he died March 31, 1946. He was buried in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in north Marshall.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Dr. Everett H. Leach, Harrison County Physician]

Description: Dr. Everett H. Leach, African-American physician, was born in Marshall in 1879 or 1881 (tombstone date). He entered Bishop College at age twelve. He received his medical degree from Flynt Medical College in New Orleans. Later he studied at Illinois Post-Graduate School in Chicago. He settled in the rural Leigh community east of Marshall, where he built a practice, erected a drug store and office, and owned two farms. Later he moved to Marshall and commuted to Leigh by automobile. According to his tombstone, he died March 31, 1946. He was interred in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in north Marshall.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Cheerleaders]

Description: A group of African-American cheerleaders, unidentified, posed for this photograph, possibly for their yearbook.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Dr. Theopolus Caviness Makes an Address in Marshall]

Description: Dr. Theopolus Caviness prepares to give an address during a visit to Marshall. The event and date are unknown. He is wearing the traditional doctor's academic robes. A microphone dangles in front of his tie. Dr. Caviness is married to Jimmie Pitts Caviness, singer and vocal teacher, who also has an entry in the Texas History Portal. The Caviness couple lived in Cleveland, Ohio at the time of this picture, c1970-1984.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Children at Play]

Description: A group of African-American children play a jumprope game. Five girls and two boys are in the group. A man and woman at the left, and a woman at the right look on. One girl holds the rope, while another at the left runs to jump into the game. The person at the other end of the rope is not visible.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Singleton's Cafe in Marshall]

Description: Singleton's Cafe in Marshall dates at least from the 1940's to 1975. It was owned by African-American businessman A. J. Singleton. There were two cafes during the early years: one located on N. Wellington in the downtown area, and this building located at 1203 W. Grand (Hwy 80). By 1957, there was only the W. Grand cafe pictured here. The building is a one-story structure either built of concrete block or faced with composite siding. Lettering on the window at right appears to be "CAFE." Other windows have printed matter in them. A wing extends from the left side. Both facades are shaded with metal awnings. The building appears as though unoccupied at the time of this picture.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph