Ward Chapel AME Church is located at 501 S. Allen St. in Marshall. The address makes the church part of the "New Town Neighborhood" which has been a unique African-American community within the city. New Town has been the residence of many prominent individuals. It includes Wiley College, other schools, businesses, and churches as well as residences. In recent years a task force has presented a Historic Preservation Action Plan to the Texas Historical Commission as a first step in achieving recognition and preservation of this community.
C. H. Maxon was the fifth president of Bishop College in Marshall during the early years of the twentieth century. He is pictured with Mrs. Maxon. He was appointed by the American Baptist Home Missionary Society that founded the college. As all of the first presidents, he was a white man administering a school for African-American students. Bishop College received its first African-American president in 1929 with the appointment of Dr. J. J. Rhoads.
The grave of Celia Boyd is located in Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in east Marshall. Nichols is traditionally an African-American cemetery. The dates on the stone are March 6, 1885-April 15, 1925.
Dr. Nolan Hamilton Anderson was a physician in Marshall who established the University Medical Clinic on University Ave. in Marshall. He was also one of the founders of the Harrison County Nursing Home. Born Nov. 8, 1910, he died in August, 1977.
North Side School was the first elementary school in Marshall to be constructed for that purpose. It was built in 1887. The building is no longer in extistence, nor its name. It was replaced by the more modern Robert E. Lee Elementary, which now serves the old "northside" neighborhood.
Asa Johnson, principal of Pemberton High School, escorts his daughter Oleta as she is presented as a member of the homecoming court in Marshall. Mr. Johnson carries an umbrella. Miss Johnson wears a homecoming mum and carries a spray of flowers. The event would have been on the football field at the homecoming game. The date is unknown.
The New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church is a traditionally African-American congregation in Marshall. It is located at 408 Milton Street in the "New Town" neighborhood. The church is mentioned in the Historic Preservation Action Plan which was submitted to the City of Marshall Historic Landmark Preservation Board and to the Texas Historical Commission. This plan seeks to recognize and preserve New Town Neighborhood as a significant African-American community in Marshall.
The grave of Susie R. Hodge Montgomery is located in the Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in east Marshall. Nichols is a traditionally African-American cemetery. The dates on the stone are 1888-1963. The stone also has the words "Mother" and "Rest in Peace." Stylized flowers are engraved in to the top of the stone, which stands above a slab.
A news item recognizes Pvt. Ronald Hearne for completing basic combat training at the United States Army Training Center, Fort Dix, N. J. Private Hearne was also selected as "Most Improved Trainee" of his platoon. A Marshall native, he graduated from Marshall High School in 1978 and entered the Army on June 20.
Marston Hall, located on the historic Bishop College campus in Marshall, was a dormitory for college men. It was built between 1909 and 1915 on the site of an older dormitory, also called Marston Hall. The campus buildings no longer exist. Bishop was established in 1881 as a Baptist college for African-Americans. In 1961 the campus relocated to Dallas. Eventually Bishop fell upon hard times and closed in 1988. The large building at right shows the entrance toward the campus. A reservoir surrounded by planting beds is at center. To the left is a small bell tower. In the distance is a small frame building used as a schoolroom.
Photograph of an illegible grave in Harrison County that remains unidentified. A cherub's head is at the top of the stone. A slab covers the grave. The cemetery is also unknown. It appears to be in a wooded area.
Liberty Missionary Baptist Church is a traditionally African-American congregation in Harrison County. It is located on Hwy 59 south of Marshall. The church was organized in 1868, making it one of the oldest of the African-American congregations that were organized in Harrison County after the Civil War..
The grave of Thomas J. Willis is located in the Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in the east side of Marshall. The dates on the stone are Jan 16 1937 - Feb 10 1964. A flower holder stands next to the headstone. A bunch of flowers lies on the ground next to its holder.
This picture of an African-American man lacks complete identification, but he was a leader in Harrison County. The name Scott is in the caption, and the letters Th B D. D. indicate theology degrees. His dress and the glasses suggest the late nineteenth or early twentieth century.
The view shows Evans Street in Marshall where it crosses the T&P railroad tracks. Evans runs due north-south from a point beyond the city limits (present-day Loop 390) to West Grand Ave. (Hwy 80). The picture, c1970-1985, shows heavy vegetation on both sides. Two houses can be seen, one on each side of the road. The railroad crossing with the warning signs is in the foreground. Evans crosses the tracks less than two long blocks north of the W. Grand intersection.
The home of G.A. Rosborough, principal of Pemberton Senior High School in Marshall. Mr. Rosborough was principal there from 1944 to 1972, during the school's African-American period. He died in 1978 and his widow moved to another address. The house is located at 1802 University Ave. The location puts it within the historic African-American area of west Marshall known as the "New Town Neighborhood." The house as shown in the picture is a one-story ranch type with brick facing, large front windows covered with guards, and a roof style that could be called a modified "gambrel."
The grave of Bro. Walter S. Brown is in the Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in east Marshall. Nichols is a traditionally African-American cemetery. The dates on the stone are 1899 and Jan. 5, 1966, accompanied by the words, "In Memory Of." Another stone is at the distant right. Behind a cyclone fence which encloses the site, a ranch house is visible. The cemetery was once rural. A subdivision has grown around it.
This Marshall newspaper article of 1978 featured Robert High, who was named the "Outstanding Young Educator of the Year." At that time he was teaching earth science and coaching at Crockett Middle School in Paris. He was also elected to his 2nd term on the state board of directors of the Texas Classroom Teachers Association. A son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward High of Marshall, he was an honor graduate of Pemberton High School. He was married to Carol Washington, also from Marshall. They had three children: Donald, Donna, and Robert.
Photograph of unidentified graves located in Harrison County. Some of the lettering is not legible. The grave on the left holds Melisa L. Scott Morris. Her dates are May 1 1913 - Apr 2 1971. Below are the words, "She died as she lived" and an illegible word. A banner on the slab has her name and years of birth and death. Below the banner is a large fern leaf. The stone on the right has a scroll with the word "Mother" and a partial name, "A. Pearl How..." The partial dates are "1900-197-." A banner with illegible words is on the slab of this grave also. Both headstones are of pink granite with floral decoration.
This photo, probably from a 1954-55 Pemberton High School yearbook, features the "Miss Pemberton" court that year. The seven ladies wear formal gowns. They are l-r, Bernice Johnson, Oletha Epps, Ida Bell Robinson, Bettie Everitt, Centennial Tyson, Myrtle Johnson, and Lurine Carr. They are escorted by five young men: l-r, Travis Armstead, Charles Hearne, Freeman Hodge, Henry Johnson, and Jerry James. The scene is outdoors in front of a brick building.
Graduation scenes from an unidentified African-American school in Marshall show the class as they march down a sidewalk and into a large room; and as they are seated. In the picture at bottom right, a choir performs. Dignitaries sit in front.
Sheppard Sanitarium was established by Dr. James R. Sheppard in 1925 to serve the African-American community in Marshall. It was located at 606 S. Carter St. in the historic New Town Neighborhood of Marshall's western section. There was also a nursing school there. The five persons in the photo are unidentified, although the man may be Dr. Sheppard. Three of the women wear nurse uniforms. The fourth wears a utility apron. The building as shown was a three-story brick structure with window awnings. An early model car is parked at the right side. The hospital was later purchased and renovated by Dr. William Watts, who renamed it Sheppard-Watts Hospital. Dr. George T. Coleman, Dr. Frank Williams, and the Wiley College physician are known to have practiced there.
The track team is featured in the 1955 Pemberton High School yearbook. The caption is "Candidates for 1955 Pemberton High School Track Team look on while Coach W. M. Reed explains baton passing to Charles Fisher. Below are the words, "Autographs of Sport Celebrities," with a pair of fingers making the victory sign.
Dr. James R. Sheppard was an African-American physician who established a hospital in Marshall in 1925. It was located at 606 S. Carter St. in the historic New Town Neighborhood in the western part of the city. It was called the Sheppard Sanitarium on the Sanborn Maps. Later the hospital was purchased by Dr. Williams Watts and renamed the Sheppard-Watts Hospital. Nothing more is known about Dr. Sheppard.
Photograph of Helen Sheppard, who is standing next to a desk, wearing a dark-colored dress, and visible from the chest up. The text below the photograph reads, "Mrs H. C. Sheppard Homemaking Education."
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Days listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.