Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church is located at 801 W. Grand Ave. (Hwy 80) in Marshall. A historic African-American congregation, it was founded in 1867 at a time when many newly-emancipated blacks were leaving white churches to establish their own. 450 members founded the first congregation, led by Rev. William Massey, a black religious leader, with the assistance of Rev. A. E. Clemmons, pastor of the white First Baptist Church. The first meetings were held in Rev. Massey's house until the first dedicated building, a one-story wooden structure, was erected at the present location. That structure has an entry in the Texas History Portal. It served until the period 1897-1901, when it was razed and replaced with an enlarged brick building of Gothic style. That one burned in 1953 and was replaced with the nearly identical building which is shown at left. The facade faces south and contains the old wooden facade as a link with the past. In the beginning, the congregation was known simply as "Colored Baptist Church," which was the name on the deed. Later the members changed the name to identify with the healing pool of Bethesda in Biblical Jerusalem. During the 1980's the word "Missionary" was added to reflect denominational affiliation. Throughout its history, the congregation has nurtured pastors and members noted not only in Marshall but also far beyond her borders. A founding member was David Abner, the Harrison County treasurer, House of Representatives member in the Fourteenth Legislature, and delegate to the 1875 Constitutional Convention. Another was Andrew Gross, father of Frederick Gross who became a president of Houston College. Bethesda was also involved in the founding of Bishop College, the black Baptist institution that was located in Marshall from 1881-1961. In 2008 Bethesda was added to the "Buard History Trail" which recognizes historic ...
A queen and her court are pictured against a decorative backdrop. The queen, in her tiara, holds a spray of flowers. Two ladies attend her on each side. The event, date, and identity of the court members are unknown. The place was likely Pemberton High School in Marshall.
The court for the "Queen of Clubs Ball" at was made of young ladies who represented each club on campus. The queen of the ball was chosen by contest. In the upper left photo, the queen with her tiara is surrounded by some of the court. The upper right photo shows young men who were escorts with three of the ladies. The bottom left and right pictures show more of the court. The two bottom photos at center were the winners and runners-up of the dance contest. The photos came from the Pemberton High School yearbook.
The Pemberton High School cheerleading squad is shown in action in this yearbook photo. The location appears to be the school gym. PHS was located in Marshall. It ceased to be a four-year school in 1970 and closed permanently in 1988.
Dr. Oliver Wendell Phillips, Sr. was a dentist in Marshall in the first half of the twentieth century. He was born in Harrison County, date unknown. He graduated from the Bishop College academic department (high school). In 1921 he received the Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee. He received a Bachelor of Science degree from Bishop College in the same year. His wife was Miss Mayme Adams, and they bore two children. He was active in the historic Bethesda Baptist Church. He supported Bishop College throughout his life, even to serving as college dentist. He was also on the dental staff of the T&P Railroad Company for many years. In addition, he had a private practice. His office was located at 111 1/2 W. Houston Street. Dr. Phillips died September 16, 1955. He is buried in the Powder Mill Cemetery.
Miss Pemberton 1964-65 of Pemberton High School in Marshall was presented at a football game. A band twirler and a pom squad member can be seen at left. A decorative pole is seen behind the couple. That year, Barbara Richardson was escorted by Jesse Shaw.
Two staged events at Pemberton High School were featured on this yearbook page. At top is the cast of the junior play, "The Flower of the Ranch." The director, Mrs. W. G. Stephens, is pictured in the inset. At bottom is the group of participants in a fashion revue titled "Under the Shadow of the Big Top." The revue was presented by the junior and senior clothing department.
In the beginning, M. W. Dogan Elementary School served African-American students in Marshall. Opened in 1949, it was named for President M. W. Dogan of Wiley College. The original building had ten classrooms and all other facilities. Built to replace the New Town School that dated from 1916, its opening was duly celebrated by the community. W. J. White, who had been principal at New Town School, became the first principal at Dogan; but he died before the first term ended. Price T. Young, who has an entry in the Texas History Portal, succeeded White and served Dogan for many years. Dogan school operated until 1981, well past integration. It is now privately owned. Located at 2005 Dogan Street, the property is bound by S. Allen Blvd., Pemberton Street, and Henry Street. This location is within the "New Town Neighborhood," which has historic significance to Marshall's African-American community.
The girls basketball team of Pemberton High School in Marshall is featured in this yearbook photo, year unknown. Eighteen students in uniform are shown with two adults. The adult at right is coach. The school gym is the location of the picture.
These young women were selected as school beauties and favorites at Pemberton High School, which was located in Marshall. At top is "Miss VIP." At bottom is the "Queen of Clubs." The photos are from the school yearbook.
Mrs. Laura L. Johnson (Harry) Price was raised and educated in the "Sunny South" neighborhood of Marshall during the late nineteenth century (dates unknown). She received a teaching certificate from Bishop College. After a brief period teaching in Louisiana and Harrison County schools, she returned to Marshall to teach primary grades at New Town and the old Central (later Hillside) schools until she retired. Special interests in art and photography were brought into her teaching activities. After retirement in 1960, she taught art at Wiley College.
On this yearbook page, the girls' basketball team and the boys' junior varisty basketball team were featured. The boys' coach is not named. The girls' coach was Mildred McNeal. The athletes are not identified. The setting is the school gym. Students are dressed in uniforms.
The Esquires club at Pemberton High School in Marshall was a service organization that also had the purpose of developing cultural and social skills in the young men. Two groups of unidentified men are shown in the two photos. In the center are pictures of the officers and the sponsor, Mr. Anderson.
The 1964 football squad is shown in the top photo of this Pemberton High School yearbook page. Three coaches' pictures are shown below. They are not identified. A description of the season standings is at bottom center.
The president's home at Bishop College in Marshall was formerly the plantation mansion "Wyalucing," built by the Holcomb family around 1850. A daughter of the family, Lucy Holcomb Pickens, became known as the "First Lady of the Confederacy" due to her support of the Confederate cause. The picture shows a mansion set on brick piers with a two-story columned portico on two sides. A balcony on the second floor in the middle bay on the left side is visible, and the two bays at left on the lower floor may be partially enclosed. A small windowed attachment at right may be a cold frame for plants. To the left of the house is a small outbuilding with a window. Two lamps stand in the lawn. In the foreground is a small pond or reservoir. A trimmed hedge, flower beds, and young trees complete the landscaping. The house sat on the east side of the Bishop campus, which was established in 1881. In 1961 the college moved to Dallas. None of the Marshall buildings remain, and the mansion itself was razed during the 1970's to make way for a federal housing project. The mansion is shown on early Sanborn maps as the president's home; but by 1931 it it was labeled "Music Hall."
Two Hall of Fame students are featured on this Pemberton High School yearbook page. The text at top explains that election to this honor was by faculty and students. Eligibility was not based on grades along but included service to the school and qualities of character. This academic year, William Moody and Marilyn Williams were selected. Text below their names lists their involvement in school activities.
The Pemberton High School basketball team is featured in three photos on a yearbook page. The top photo shows the entire team with their trainers and Coach C. H. Broach. Pictures below highlight two players whose names do not show.
Frances Blake Wallace was an East Texas educator who spent most of her 43-year teaching career in Harrison County schools. Born in Jefferson about 1900, she was raised and educated there. She graduated from Bishop College in Marshall. Then followed a varied career that included elementary, high school and college level experience. She was also a Jeanes Supervisor, Director of Education, supervisor of county schools, and principal. She was listed in Who's Who in American Education, Personalities of the South, and Who's Who of American Women. She was also active in numerous civic and professional organizations. Her death date is unknown.
The long front hallway at Pemberton High School is shown in a yearbook. Pemberton was a traditionally African-American school before integration. Three students are shown at center by the short hall leading to the front door of the school. Also at front left are the doors to the main offices. At right is the auditorium. Stairs lead to a loft above. Pemberton became a ninth grade school in 1970. Grades 10-12 merged with Marshall High School. In 1988 the ninth grade moved to MHS and the Pemberton campus was sold to Wiley College.
Ebenezer United Methodist Church in Marshall is a traditionally African-American congregation which was established in 1867 as a Methodist Episcopal Church ( as the denomination was named then). The congregation has contributed at least three bishops to Methodism. The building shown was constructed in 1958, following other structures. The sanctuary is in the right wing, joined to an education-administration wing at left whose entrance is marked by a bell tower with cross atop. The church is located at 903 Whetstone Street.
The Pemberton High School drill team is featured on this yearbook page. Identification of the members and name of their team does not show. There are twenty girls wearing uniforms with cowgirl hats and white boots.
The Pemberton High School Panthers baseball team is featured in this two-page yearbook spread. Names of individuals are illegible. At top left the 28-member squad is shown in uniform with a trophy. At top center the text summarizes the season in which the Panthers captured the district crown. At top right are three contributing batters and at bottom right are two pitchers. The coach's image is at bottom center. To the left is the district schedule. At bottom left are more sluggers and the catcher.
Dr. Thomas L. Hunter was a dentist who came to Marshall in 1917 and practiced there more than 50 years. Born around 1884 in Navasota, Texas, he was educated at Prairie View College and Meharry Medical College. He was active in church, charitable, and civic organizations. He was honored by Meharry, the National Dental Association, and Wiley College for his contributions to dentistry and to education. He died November 14, 1969, and was buried in the Rose Hill Garden Cemetery.
Two outstanding students at Pemberton High School are featured on this yearbook page. Snowden Bennett is in the top photo and Dora Wesley is in the bottom photo. Their school activities are summarized in the accompanying text.
The track team at Pemberton High School is featured on this yearbook page. The 10-member team is the photo at top. The Captain is in the photo at bottom The text gives the summary of the season. Coach Reed led the team.
Mr. Paul E. Moon was a Marshall educator. He taught at Central School c1937 and was teaching at Pemberton High School by 1949. He became principal of Park Elementary School c1951. When Park was replaced by J. H. Moore Elementary to serve Marshall's northwest area, he became principal there. His birth and death dates are unknown; but his wife Ruth was listed as his widow in 1968. Paul Moon was a member of the Moon family that included his brother L. A. Moon, a prominent businessman in the New Town Neighborhood, a historic African-American community.
Miss Pemberton and her court were featured on this yearbook page. The top picture shows Linda Sue Williams, Queen, and her escorts. She was the first eighth-grader ever chosen for the honor. The bottom picture shows the queen, her attendants, and the escorts at the football game where they were presented.
The 1965 Pemberton High School Concert Band is shown in this yearbook photo. The names are illegible in the photo, but are given at bottom right. At bottom left, the text tells of the band's activities and function. Students are shown in uniform in stage formation. They include players, twirlers, and drum majors. The director is unknown.
The Jet Set club at Pemberton High School in Marshall was formed to promote certain ideals of womanhood and academia in female students. The student chosen to represent Jet Set is Shirley Haynes in this yearbook photo. One of her duties would be to represent the club at the "Queen's Club Ball."
Equipment at Marshall Public Library in the early years, 1973-1990, included portable television, a slide projector, and a videocassette player-recorder. In the photo, the equipment waits for use on a counter near the rear entrance. There are also some videocassettes and slide containers.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Days listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.