Marshall Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Cheerleaders]

Description: A group of African-American cheerleaders, unidentified, posed for this photograph, possibly for their yearbook.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Dr. Theopolus Caviness Makes an Address in Marshall]

Description: Dr. Theopolus Caviness prepares to give an address during a visit to Marshall. The event and date are unknown. He is wearing the traditional doctor's academic robes. A microphone dangles in front of his tie. Dr. Caviness is married to Jimmie Pitts Caviness, singer and vocal teacher, who also has an entry in the Texas History Portal. The Caviness couple lived in Cleveland, Ohio at the time of this picture, c1970-1984.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Children at Play]

Description: A group of African-American children play a jumprope game. Five girls and two boys are in the group. A man and woman at the left, and a woman at the right look on. One girl holds the rope, while another at the left runs to jump into the game. The person at the other end of the rope is not visible.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Singleton's Cafe in Marshall]

Description: Singleton's Cafe in Marshall dates at least from the 1940's to 1975. It was owned by African-American businessman A. J. Singleton. There were two cafes during the early years: one located on N. Wellington in the downtown area, and this building located at 1203 W. Grand (Hwy 80). By 1957, there was only the W. Grand cafe pictured here. The building is a one-story structure either built of concrete block or faced with composite siding. Lettering on the window at right appears to be "CAFE." Other windows have printed matter in them. A wing extends from the left side. Both facades are shaded with metal awnings. The building appears as though unoccupied at the time of this picture.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Tombstones in Nichols Cemetery, Marshall]

Description: Photo of the tombstone of Thomas Brooks in Nichol Cemetery, Marshall. This cemetery is at the north end of Merrill Street inside the city limits. The street is two blocks long, proceeding north from US 80 E. The cemetery is African-American.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Oldest Nursing Home Resident, Mrs. Izoria Malone]

Description: Mrs. Izoria Malone was listed as 113 years old on records at the Harrison County Nursing Home when she was admitted there on January 29, 1974. She was possibly the second oldest resident in a United States nursing home at that time, and was certainly the oldest in the county. She died June, 1976 at the of 115. Article from The Marshall News Messenger newspaper, no date, reprinted in book, The Black Citizen and Democracy: Black Culture in Harrison County, Past, Present, and Future. Marshall Public Library, 1976, p. 86.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Bungalow in Marshall]

Description: An unidentified bungalow in Marshall. The architecture is craftsman, with the front-facing gable, simple brackets, and columns set on brick piers. The house was occupied, clearly by someone who enjoyed plants.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Hurd's Barber and Beauty College Sign]

Description: The sign advertises Hurd's Barber and Beauty College, located at 304 Nolan St. in Marshall. This business served the African American community from 1955-2001, at which time the building burned.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[N. Wellington Street Marshall]

Description: The 200 block of N. Wellington Street, Marshall, Texas, included two taxi services during the period 1975-1982. They were Hurd's Taxi at #203 and Safeway Taxi at #205 N. Wellington. Hurd's Taxi is still in existence.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Peoples Funeral Home, Marshall]

Description: Peoples Funeral Home is located at 1301 W. Grand Ave. in Marshall, Texas. Owned by three generations of the Williams family, it has served the African-American community since 1927 (as listed in the city directories). It is still in operation. It was established by Milton Williams, Sr. Born and reared in Harrison County, he became a mortician. He married Josie P. Campbell and they established six funeral homes in East Texas. He also started the Peoples Funeral Service Insurance Company. He died in 1966, and is buried with his wife in the Powder Mill Cemetery of Marshall. Milton Williams, Jr. continued in the family business. He graduated from Bishop College of Marshall and the Texas School of Mortuary Science in Ft. Worth. He was also a certified insurance underwriter. Active in professional, church, and civic matters, he was the first Negro to run for public office in Marshall. He is deceased. His widow, Rubye Adams Williams, is still active. They produced two children: a daughter, Dr. Rubye Jo Williams Jones (see Texas History Portal entry) and Milton Herschell Williams, III. This son has also continued in the family business. Educated at Wiley College of Marshall and the University of North Texas, he served in the U. S. Air Force before entering banking. He later entered the Dallas Institute of Mortuary Science before returning to Marshall. He is married to Julia Ann Frilot, occupational therapist. They are parents of two adult daughters who have entered professional careers.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Modern House in Marshall]

Description: A modern ranch house in Marshall, from the 1950-1970 era. The house is brick, with a low brick wall at the front of the yard. The house has a hipped roof on the visible portion, a one-car garage, and a "picture" window near the entrance, which is shaded by a shed porch attachment. A Ford Mercury automobile sits in front of the garage. A lamp post and some other decorative objects are in the yard and around the entrance. Some bare tree suggest the winter season.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Crafts Class]

Description: Unidentified African-American students in a crafts class display their handiwork.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[N. Wellington Street, Marshall]

Description: A view of the 200 block of N. Wellington St. in Marshall, Texas, where Hurd's Taxi and Birmingham's Department Store were located from 1975-1999. Hurd's Taxi is still in business.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Sutton Home in Marshall]

Description: The Sutton bungalow in Marshall has been adorned with wrought iron columns and railings. It is located at 704 W. Grand. The house was first the home of Charles H. and Eva Patterson. He owned the Palace Pharmacy on the Marshall Square. By 1949 both the house and the pharmacy were owned by A. S. and Addie L. Jackson. From 1957 to the current year, the home's owners have been listed as Walter L. Sr. and Sammie Sutton, teachers in the public schools.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[New Harrison County Courthouse]

Description: The newer Harrison County Courthouse in Marshall, Texas. The four-story modern structure was built at the intersection of W. Houston and S. Wellington streets in 1964. It stands across the street from the old Harrison County Courthouse built in 1900. The old and the new, close together.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Birmingham Department Store, Marshall]

Description: Birmingham Department Store in Marshall was located at 205-207 and 213 N. Wellington Street from 1967 or 1968 to 2001 or 2002, according to city directories. The picture is from the 1970's. Other businesses are located there now. The store was owned by Samuel A. (Sam) Birmingham and his wife Jean, a school teacher and administrator. Both Birminghams were also civic leaders. Sam Birmingham was Marshall's first African-American mayor. Mrs. Birmingham served on the city commission after her retirement.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Grand Avenue West, Marshall]

Description: Marshall 's W. Grand Avenue (Hwy 80) at intersection with Grove St. The highway has been widened from two lanes to six since the early days. At one time, stately Victorian homes lined the avenue; only a few remain, and now it is primarily commercial. Turning right on Grove will put the driver on FM 1997 north, as the sign indicates.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Masonic Hall in Marshall]

Description: This meeting house is a Masonic Hall in Marshall. The lodge is historically African-American. It has been located at 600 Park School Street at least since 1937, according to the city directory.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Harrison County Courthouse]

Description: The old Harrison County Courthouse is the fourth, erected in 1900 to replace the third one which burned in 1899. This view is of the north and east facades, during the 1960's or 1970's. Houston St., which circles the square on its east-west route, is in the foreground. Three parking lots adjoin the square on the north, east, and west sides of the courthouse, which accounts for the large number of automobiles. At the extreme left edge of the picture, the corner of the seven-story Hotel Marshall can be seen.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[P. D. Johnson Bungalow in Marshall]

Description: The P. D. Johnson bungalow in Marshall received some changes during the last half of the twentieth century, such as the modern windows in the sun porch and the wrought iron on the front porch. The origin of the house is unknown. It is noted as the long-time residence of Pinky D. Johnson, Marshall educator. She purchased the house with her husband, Charley Johnson. They are known to have lived there during the 1940's and 1950's. After his death, she married Dr. F. E. Williams, and continued to occupy the house until her death in 1963. The house has had several other occupants since that time.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Bungalow in Marshall]

Description: This unidentified bungalow in Marshall has the Craftsman architecture, with the decorative brackets and exposed rafter ends under the eaves, and the trio of small windows in the front-facing gable which covers a porch supported by square half-columns set on brick piers.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Pemberton High School Personnel]

Description: Principal G. A. Rosborough, bottom, and Mrs. Lola S. Harrold, Registrar, are pictured in a Pemberton Senior High School Yearbook, date unknown. Mr. Rosborough was the second principal of PHS until 1972. His tenure was marked by increases in the school plant, staff, and curriculum. During integration, Pemberton became a ninth grade campus, which eventually merged with Marshall High School in 1988. The school plant was sold to Wiley College at that time.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph