Marshall Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Peoples Funeral Home, Marshall]

Description: Peoples Funeral Home is located at 1301 W. Grand Ave. in Marshall, Texas. Owned by three generations of the Williams family, it has served the African-American community since 1927 (as listed in the city directories). It is still in operation. It was established by Milton Williams, Sr. Born and reared in Harrison County, he became a mortician. He married Josie P. Campbell and they established six funeral homes in East Texas. He also started the Peoples Funeral Service Insurance Company. He died in 1966, and is buried with his wife in the Powder Mill Cemetery of Marshall. Milton Williams, Jr. continued in the family business. He graduated from Bishop College of Marshall and the Texas School of Mortuary Science in Ft. Worth. He was also a certified insurance underwriter. Active in professional, church, and civic matters, he was the first Negro to run for public office in Marshall. He is deceased. His widow, Rubye Adams Williams, is still active. They produced two children: a daughter, Dr. Rubye Jo Williams Jones (see Texas History Portal entry) and Milton Herschell Williams, III. This son has also continued in the family business. Educated at Wiley College of Marshall and the University of North Texas, he served in the U. S. Air Force before entering banking. He later entered the Dallas Institute of Mortuary Science before returning to Marshall. He is married to Julia Ann Frilot, occupational therapist. They are parents of two adult daughters who have entered professional careers.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Modern House in Marshall]

Description: A modern ranch house in Marshall, from the 1950-1970 era. The house is brick, with a low brick wall at the front of the yard. The house has a hipped roof on the visible portion, a one-car garage, and a "picture" window near the entrance, which is shaded by a shed porch attachment. A Ford Mercury automobile sits in front of the garage. A lamp post and some other decorative objects are in the yard and around the entrance. Some bare tree suggest the winter season.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Crafts Class]

Description: Unidentified African-American students in a crafts class display their handiwork.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[N. Wellington Street, Marshall]

Description: A view of the 200 block of N. Wellington St. in Marshall, Texas, where Hurd's Taxi and Birmingham's Department Store were located from 1975-1999. Hurd's Taxi is still in business.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Sutton Home in Marshall]

Description: The Sutton bungalow in Marshall has been adorned with wrought iron columns and railings. It is located at 704 W. Grand. The house was first the home of Charles H. and Eva Patterson. He owned the Palace Pharmacy on the Marshall Square. By 1949 both the house and the pharmacy were owned by A. S. and Addie L. Jackson. From 1957 to the current year, the home's owners have been listed as Walter L. Sr. and Sammie Sutton, teachers in the public schools.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[New Harrison County Courthouse]

Description: The newer Harrison County Courthouse in Marshall, Texas. The four-story modern structure was built at the intersection of W. Houston and S. Wellington streets in 1964. It stands across the street from the old Harrison County Courthouse built in 1900. The old and the new, close together.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Birmingham Department Store, Marshall]

Description: Birmingham Department Store in Marshall was located at 205-207 and 213 N. Wellington Street from 1967 or 1968 to 2001 or 2002, according to city directories. The picture is from the 1970's. Other businesses are located there now. The store was owned by Samuel A. (Sam) Birmingham and his wife Jean, a school teacher and administrator. Both Birminghams were also civic leaders. Sam Birmingham was Marshall's first African-American mayor. Mrs. Birmingham served on the city commission after her retirement.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Grand Avenue West, Marshall]

Description: Marshall 's W. Grand Avenue (Hwy 80) at intersection with Grove St. The highway has been widened from two lanes to six since the early days. At one time, stately Victorian homes lined the avenue; only a few remain, and now it is primarily commercial. Turning right on Grove will put the driver on FM 1997 north, as the sign indicates.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Masonic Hall in Marshall]

Description: This meeting house is a Masonic Hall in Marshall. The lodge is historically African-American. It has been located at 600 Park School Street at least since 1937, according to the city directory.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Harrison County Courthouse]

Description: The old Harrison County Courthouse is the fourth, erected in 1900 to replace the third one which burned in 1899. This view is of the north and east facades, during the 1960's or 1970's. Houston St., which circles the square on its east-west route, is in the foreground. Three parking lots adjoin the square on the north, east, and west sides of the courthouse, which accounts for the large number of automobiles. At the extreme left edge of the picture, the corner of the seven-story Hotel Marshall can be seen.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[P. D. Johnson Bungalow in Marshall]

Description: The P. D. Johnson bungalow in Marshall received some changes during the last half of the twentieth century, such as the modern windows in the sun porch and the wrought iron on the front porch. The origin of the house is unknown. It is noted as the long-time residence of Pinky D. Johnson, Marshall educator. She purchased the house with her husband, Charley Johnson. They are known to have lived there during the 1940's and 1950's. After his death, she married Dr. F. E. Williams, and continued to occupy the house until her death in 1963. The house has had several other occupants since that time.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Bungalow in Marshall]

Description: This unidentified bungalow in Marshall has the Craftsman architecture, with the decorative brackets and exposed rafter ends under the eaves, and the trio of small windows in the front-facing gable which covers a porch supported by square half-columns set on brick piers.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Pemberton High School Personnel]

Description: Principal G. A. Rosborough, bottom, and Mrs. Lola S. Harrold, Registrar, are pictured in a Pemberton Senior High School Yearbook, date unknown. Mr. Rosborough was the second principal of PHS until 1972. His tenure was marked by increases in the school plant, staff, and curriculum. During integration, Pemberton became a ninth grade campus, which eventually merged with Marshall High School in 1988. The school plant was sold to Wiley College at that time.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Historic House, Marshall]

Description: The Wigfall House in Marshall, Texas has a Texas Medallion designating it as a Texas Historic Landmark. It is located at 510 West Burleson Street. It was constructed between 1854 and 1856 by Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Jordan. During the Civil War it was owned by Louis T. Wigfall, a colorful lawyer and politician whose name endures with the house. It originally had the symmetrical, single-level plan of four rooms and a central hall that is typical of the early East Texas house. Subsequent owners have transformed it into a one-and-one-half story Victorian cottage.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Montgomery Home in Marshall]

Description: This ranch house in Marshall was the home of Dorothy Vance Montgomery, music teacher. Mrs. Montgomery's career spanned 46 years. It included teaching in the Marshall public schools, 1930-1976, maintaining a private studio, teaching adjunct classes at Wiley College, and music ministry at her church. Her house is located at 1501 Grafton Street within the "New Town Neighborhood," which is an area significant to local African-American history.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church, Marshall]

Description: Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church, located at 801 W. Grand Ave. in Marshall, is one of the oldest African-American congregations in the county. It was established in 1867 during the Reconstruction period when so many newly-emancipated blacks left white churches to establish their own. Originally the name was simply the "Colored Baptist Church," which was the name on the deed. When the members elected to change the name, they identified it with the healing pool of Bethesda in Biblical Jerusalem. The word "Missionary" was added to its name in the mid-1980's to reflect denominational affiliation. In 1987 Bethesda began to join with the First Baptist Church in occasional worship services and fellowship. The two churches are historically linked because Rev. A. E. Clemmons, a pastor of the white First Baptist Church, and Rev. William Massey, a black religious leader, jointly led 450 souls in the founding of Bethesda. Massey went on to pastor other churches in Waco and Austin but later returned. Other prominent founders were David Abner, who was Harrison County treasurer, a member of the Texas House of Representatives in the Fourteenth Legislature, and a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1875; and Andrew Gross, whose son Frederick became a president of Houston College. Throughout its history, the congregation has included pastors and members of prominence not only in Marshall but far beyond. The congregation also had a historic role in the founding of Bishop College, the African-American Baptist institution that was located in Marshall 1881-1961. Bethesda's first dedicated church building was a one-story wooden structure located on the present site. It has an entry in the Texas History Portal. It was razed during 1897-1901 to be replaced by a larger brick edifice of Gothic style. That building burned in 1953 and was replaced by the nearly identical structure ...
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Grave in Marshall]

Description: The grave of Jessie E. Copeland is located in the old Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in Marshall. The cemetery has gravesites associated with the early African-American history of Harrison County. A more recent grave, Jessie E. Copeland's stone relates his service during World War II as a private in 1999 QM Truck Co. His vital dates are March 18, 1900 to April 14, 1961.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Downtown Marshall]

Description: A view of N. Washington Street (center) at the intersections with E. Houston (foreground) and W. Austin (left center) streets in Marshall during the mid-1960s. At the time of the picture, N. Washington was the commercial center or "main street" of the city. Together with W. Austin street, they form the northeast corner of the square where the historic county courthouse is located. The First National Bank is shown at the extreme right in the picture; it fronts on E. Houston. Across N. Washington where it intersects with W. Austin, Pelz Jewelry has a corner entrance. Continuing to the left on W. Austin are Security Finance Corp., Bert Jackson Jeweler, and Sharkey Tailoring. Looking down the west side of N. Washington past Pelz Jewelry are Matthewson Drug Co., McLellan Store, and the historic J. Weisman & Co. department store. Other stores are too distant to be identified.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Historic Train District, Marshall]

Description: At the time of this picture, the old Ginocchio railroad hotel (at left) in Marshall contained the "All Things Good Restaurant." At right is the brick ticket office which contains the tunnel under the tracks to the historic depot, out of sight behind the office. In the center is a freight train rolling through.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Street Scene, Marshall]

Description: Marshall's N. Wellington Street intersects with W. Houston in the foreground of this street scene. Proceeding to the right, it intersects with W. Austin, which is in the right background. Going right to left along W. Austin, the viewer sees Abraham's Food Town, the historic Belle Fry Gaines House (white house with double portico), and First Baptist Church in the distance. The street at center running parallel with N. Wellington is N. Franklin, where several small businesses (unidentified) were located during the 1960s.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph