Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Kilpatrick were the first in Harrison County to get memberships in the newly formed Friends of Marshall Public Library. The membership drive was the beginning of community support for building a new library in marshall.
Continental Trailways gave intercity bus service to Marshall from the mid-1950s until the late 1980s, when the franchise passed into the ownership of Greyhound Bus Lines. This depot, built during the mid-1960s, is located at 201 S. Bolivar Street in the downtown area. The picture likely dates from that time.
The New Town neighborhood in Marshall, Texas was a self-sufficient African-American community containing schools, stores, churches, a college, and many bungalows and cottages. This cottage is typical of the neighborhood. New Town has been selected as a model for preservation under Marshall's Historic Preservation Action Plan.
An African-American man in Harrison County, Dave Beachum. He was an educator in the Marshall area. Mr. Beachum was married to Emmaline Leffall. She was the daughter of Calvin and Mariah Leffall (former slaves who settled in Elysian Fields slightly outside of Marshall). The Leffall family has been in the Marshall area since the late 1870's
A display area at Marshall Public Library, Marshall, has an art print which could be circulated; and a violin which was used by local musician Charles R. Aber. Mr. Aber also had a large collection of audio tapes which his mother donated to the library after his death.
Many individuals and groups donated to the building fund for the new Marshall Public Library from 1969-1973. In this newspaper photo, Tommy Thomas of a local veterans group presents a check to a member (unidentified) of the Friends of a Public Library, which spearheaded the movement for the library.
During the early 1970's, various organisations contributed toward the building of a new public library in Marshall, Texas. In this newspaper photo, Fenn Lewis, fund drive chairman, accepts a donation from Johnny Barkett.
Mrs. Dorothy Morrison was director of the new Marshall Public Library from 1970 to 1984. She was responsible for several innovations at the library. The newspaper-on-microfilm collection is named in her memory.
Dorothy Vance Montgomery, musician and educator in Marshall, Texas. Born and reared in Marshall, she received several undergraduate and graduate degrees from Wiley College and the University of Southern California. She taught music in the Marshall Public Schools, 1930-1976. She also taught piano for 44 years at her private studio; was minister of music for 17 years at New Bethel Baptist Church; and was adjunct teacher for 2 years at Wiley College. The image shows her receiving one of several local awards for her long contribution to education.
A view of N. Washington Street (center) at the intersections with E. Houston (foreground) and W. Austin (left center) streets in Marshall during the mid-1960s. At the time of the picture, N. Washington was the commercial center or "main street" of the city. Together with W. Austin street, they form the northeast corner of the square where the historic county courthouse is located. The First National Bank is shown at the extreme right in the picture; it fronts on E. Houston. Across N. Washington where it intersects with W. Austin, Pelz Jewelry has a corner entrance. Continuing to the left on W. Austin are Security Finance Corp., Bert Jackson Jeweler, and Sharkey Tailoring. Looking down the west side of N. Washington past Pelz Jewelry are Matthewson Drug Co., McLellan Store, and the historic J. Weisman & Co. department store. Other stores are too distant to be identified.
As the sign attests, N. Wellington Street runs one way to the south in Marshall. The street intersects with Houston (right foreground) after crossing W. Austin Street one block to the north. Businesses located along the section of N. Wellington shown in the picture would have included the Marshall National Bank motor branch, Birmingham Shopping Mart, Paxtons Appliances, Blairs TV Service, River's Seed Bin, McKay's Furniture Co., City Finance So., and Denney Cleaners. Along W. Austin Street right to left, were Marshall Barber Shop, Mays Studio, the Blalock Building, Joe Woods Radio & TV Service, Stacy Shoe Repair, Blue Bonnet Beauty Shop, Desota Imports-Exports, Austin Furniture Co., McGibbon Watch Repairing, Barkett Shoe Repairing, Parish Taxi Stand, and finally Marshall Public Library at the extreme left side of the picture. The picture likely dates from 1978 or later. The blue Oldsmobile vehicle on the left is a 1978 model.
Marshall's N. Wellington Street (center) intersects with Houston (foreground), then crosses W. Austin Street on its way north. Businesses shown on N. Wellington during the late 1960s included Tip Top Cleaners, Blair's TV Service, Marshall National Bank Motor Branch, Rives Seed Bin, McKay's Furniture Co., City Finance Co., and Denney Cleaners. From right to left on W. Austin, one can see Marshall Barber Shop, Mays Studio, Blue Bonnet Beauty Shop, Joe Woods Radio & TV Service and Stacy Shoe Repair Shop.
Dr. A. F. Veau was a member of the executive board of the Friends of a Public Library in Marshall, Texas. In 1978 he was installed as the president of the Friends group. He had also been active in promoting the new library building, which opened in 1973. For many years he kept scrapbooks that detailed the history of the establishment and progress of the library as well as the Friends.
Dr. Everett H. Leach, early African-American physician, was born in Marshall in 1879 or 1881 (tombstone date). He entered Bishop College at age twelve. He received his medical degree from Flynt Medical College in New Orleans. Later he studied at Illinois Post-Graduate School in Chicago. He settled in the rural Leigh community east of Marshall, where he built a practice, erected a drug store and office, and owned two farms. Later he moved to Marshall and commuted to Leigh by automobile. According to his tombstone, he died March 31, 1946, and was buried in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997, Marshall.
Dr. Everett H. Leach, African-American physician, was born in Marshall in 1879 or 1881 (tombstone date). He entered Bishop College at age twelve. He received his medical degree from Flynt Medical College in New Orleans. Later he studied at Illinois Post-Graduate School in Chicago. He settled in the rural Leigh community east of Marshall, where he built a practice, erected a drug store and office, and owned two farms. Later he moved to Marshall and commuted to Leigh by automobile. According to his tombstone, he died March 31, 1946. He was interred in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in north Marshall.
Dr. Everett H. Leach, African-American physician, was born in Marshall in 1879 or 1881 (tombstone date). He entered Bishop College at age twelve. He received his medical degree from Flynt Medical College in New Orleans. Later he studied at Illinois Post-Graduate School in Chicago. He settled in the rural Leigh community east of Marshall, where he built a practice, erected a drug store and office, and owned two farms. Later he moved to Marshall and commuted to Leigh by automobile. According to his tombstone, he died March 31, 1946. He was buried in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in north Marshall.
This bungalow in Marshall, possibly Craftsman in its original form, has several later additions. It is located at 606 Sanford Street in the "New Town Neighborhood," a historic African-American community that developed around Wiley College from 1910-1950. The home was the residence of Dr. George T. Coleman. The physician also had a structure across the street at 607 Sanford that he used as a hospital for his patients. Some of his patients went to the Sheppard-Watts Sanitarium on S. Carter Street. Dr. Coleman's office was located first on W. Houston and later on S. Wellington. According to Dr. Coleman's obituary, he was born in Ft. Worth to Mr. and Mrs. P. Coleman. He received his early education in El Paso. He completed his college and professional training in Illiinois. In 1910 he moved to Marshall and began a practice that lasted 53 years. He performed numerous professional, church and civic duties; but notable was his involvement in establishing the first tuberculosis hospital in Kerrville. His first wife, Edith, died in 1949. He later married Willia, a union which lasted until his passing on June 10, 1963. He is presumed to be buried in the Powder Mill Cemetery, in a plot with a Coleman family marker having no individual names or dates.
Dr. James R. Sheppard was an African-American physician who established a hospital in Marshall in 1925. It was located at 606 S. Carter St. in the historic New Town Neighborhood in the western part of the city. It was called the Sheppard Sanitarium on the Sanborn Maps. Later the hospital was purchased by Dr. Williams Watts and renamed the Sheppard-Watts Hospital. Nothing more is known about Dr. Sheppard.
Dr. Joseph J. Rhoads was an educator, administrator, and advocate for civil rights in education who completed his career as the first African-American president of Bishop College in Marshall. He was born in 1890 in Marshall, and was educated there. He received his first degree from Bishop College; his second degree from the University of Michigan; and a Lit. D. degree from Bishop College. He also did graduate work at Yale University, receiving a scholarship there. He held numerous positions as teacher and school administrator from Texas to Alabama before being appointed to the presidency of Bishop in 1929. He led Bishop to its first accreditation by the Texas Dept. of Education and other major accrediting associations. During his tenure, Dr. Rhoads discontinued Bishop's high school department, opened a junior college campus in Dallas, and affiliated with the United Negro College Fund. He also organized the Lacy Kirk Williams Ministers' Institute, a short-term training center for inservice ministers and laity. He consistently advocated for racial equality in education through the offices he held in numerous organizations. Dr. Rhoads died in 1951, and was buried in the McJohnson Cemetery in Marshall.
Dr. Nolan Hamilton Anderson was a physician in Marshall who established the University Medical Clinic on University Ave. in Marshall. He was also one of the founders of the Harrison County Nursing Home. Born Nov. 8, 1910, he died in August, 1977.
Dr. Oliver Wendell Phillips, Sr. was a dentist in Marshall in the first half of the twentieth century. He was born in Harrison County, date unknown. He graduated from the Bishop College academic department (high school). In 1921 he received the Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee. He received a Bachelor of Science degree from Bishop College in the same year. His wife was Miss Mayme Adams, and they bore two children. He was active in the historic Bethesda Baptist Church. He supported Bishop College throughout his life, even to serving as college dentist. He was also on the dental staff of the T&P Railroad Company for many years. In addition, he had a private practice. His office was located at 111 1/2 W. Houston Street. Dr. Phillips died September 16, 1955. He is buried in the Powder Mill Cemetery.
Dr. Rubye Jo Williams Jones taught sociology at S.M.U in Dallas. She was reared in Marshall, the daughter of Milton and Rubye Adams Williams. She graduated from Pemberton High School, following with a B. S. degree in sociology (alma mater unknown). She then attended graduate school at T.W.U., working as a graduate assistant. She earned her PhD. there and then joined the S.M.U. faculty. She was featured in this newspaper clipping, date unknown. In the picture she wears a mortarboard and an academic robe with hood. She is married to Kenneth C. G. Jones, also of Marshall. They live in Dallas.
Dr. Thomas L. Hunter was a dentist who came to Marshall in 1917 and practiced there more than 50 years. Born around 1884 in Navasota, Texas, he was educated at Prairie View College and Meharry Medical College. He was active in church, charitable, and civic organizations. He was honored by Meharry, the National Dental Association, and Wiley College for his contributions to dentistry and to education. He died November 14, 1969, and was buried in the Rose Hill Garden Cemetery.
Dr. Theopolus Caviness prepares to give an address during a visit to Marshall. The event and date are unknown. He is wearing the traditional doctor's academic robes. A microphone dangles in front of his tie. Dr. Caviness is married to Jimmie Pitts Caviness, singer and vocal teacher, who also has an entry in the Texas History Portal. The Caviness couple lived in Cleveland, Ohio at the time of this picture, c1970-1984.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Days listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.