Mrs. Rex Brown, Audrey Kariel, Inagene Bennett and a fourth unidentified member of the Marshall Music Club pose at a music orientation on September 21, 1969. This club influenced the other women's clubs in Marshall to build a public library. Five clubs had jointly owned and operated a private lending library for many years; but they joined the grassroots movement for a public library, which was completed in 1973.
A library assistant, left, and a chaperone, right, keep a watchful eye at the children's play day which concluded the summer reading program at Marshall Public Library, c1976. The picnic and games were held on the library's grounds that year.
An educator and leader in the African-American community in Marshall sits behind his office desk. A calendar and early telephone are at left. On the desk blotter are a vase of flowers and a fountain pen set. Behind him are storage drawers and some large record books.
A small sign in front announces that this residence is occupied by "The Anderson's" in Marshall. The house is a two-story brick with a two-story columned portico in front. A classic door design has a small iron balcony above.
Antioch Baptist Church is in the rural Leigh community of Harrison County. The location is the intersection of FM 1999 and FM 134. It was formally organized in 1866 by an African-American congregation. It began as a brush arbor. The first church, built in the 1880's, burned. The second building replaced it in 1921. This red brick building has air conditioning units enclosed in fencing on each side. The front gabled roof has a small gable above the entrance.
An art collection was on display at Marshall Public Library, date unknown. The works all have a western theme. Also visible are the library's card catalog at left, storage cabinets at right, and a reading table with red chairs in the foreground. The presence of a card catalog dates the display event between 1973-1990.
Marshall Public Library stored the LP (long-playing) recordings in their own files which were made for the purpose. This type of audio recording existed for a substantial part of the 20th century, and was current when the library was built in 1973.
Mrs. Augusta L. Porter Walton taught mathematics at Central/Pemberton High School in Marshall. She was reared and educated in Marshall, receiving degrees from Bishop College in 1918 and 1950. She also studied at Colorado State University and Denver University. She was active in church, local choral music organizations and other civic groups. Her gravestone gives "1986 - NO DATE;" but her autobiography gives "about 1900" as her birth year. She is buried in the Powder Mill Cemetery, Marshall.
Valerie Hurd's Barber and Beauty School, located at 304 Noland St. in Marshall, Texas, was a long-time business, c1955-c2001. It was first located on Park School St. and relocated to this address c1959. The building burned about 2001. This picture may date from early 1960's.
Mrs. Belle Crockett was 106 years old and a nursing home resident when she gave an oral interview in 1976. She was born on a farm to slave parents. She told what she did on the farm and in the home all of her life. She mentioned two marriages but no children. The picture shows her in the reception area of the nursing home. She smiles from her wheelchair and said that she still enjoyed good health. Dates of birth and death are unknown.
An old photograph, date unknown but likely prior to 1897, depicts Bethesda Baptist Church of Marshall. Originally known as "Colored Baptist Church," the members renamed it about 1887 and then added the word "Missionary" during the 1980's to make the official name "Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church." Bethesda is one of the oldest African-American congregations in Harrison County, being founded in 1867 by 450 souls led by Rev. William Massey with the assistance of Rev. A. E. Clemmons, the pastor of the white First Baptist Church. The members met in Rev. Massey's home at 601 Massey St. until the construction of this one-story wooden structure, probably between 1867 and 1875. The plan included a veranda leading to the vestibule, three aisles, and colored glass in the arched Gothic windows. There was an organ, the first in Marshall, and a belfry. Outside facilities included a baptistry and a well. During 1897-1901, this structure was razed and replaced by a larger brick structure of Gothic style which later burned and was itself replaced. However the front facade of the wooden structure was incorporated into the new buildings as a link with the past. The site at 801 W. Grand (Hwy 80) has been owned continuously by this congregation since the deed was acquired in 1867. It is now listed on the "Buard History Trail" as a site significant to Marshall's African-American heritage.
Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church is located at 801 W. Grand Ave. (Hwy 80) in Marshall. A historic African-American congregation, it was founded in 1867 at a time when many newly-emancipated blacks were leaving white churches to establish their own. 450 members founded the first congregation, led by Rev. William Massey, a black religious leader, with the assistance of Rev. A. E. Clemmons, pastor of the white First Baptist Church. The first meetings were held in Rev. Massey's house until the first dedicated building, a one-story wooden structure, was erected at the present location. That structure has an entry in the Texas History Portal. It served until the period 1897-1901, when it was razed and replaced with an enlarged brick building of Gothic style. That one burned in 1953 and was replaced with the nearly identical building which is shown at left. The facade faces south and contains the old wooden facade as a link with the past. In the beginning, the congregation was known simply as "Colored Baptist Church," which was the name on the deed. Later the members changed the name to identify with the healing pool of Bethesda in Biblical Jerusalem. During the 1980's the word "Missionary" was added to reflect denominational affiliation. Throughout its history, the congregation has nurtured pastors and members noted not only in Marshall but also far beyond her borders. A founding member was David Abner, the Harrison County treasurer, House of Representatives member in the Fourteenth Legislature, and delegate to the 1875 Constitutional Convention. Another was Andrew Gross, father of Frederick Gross who became a president of Houston College. Bethesda was also involved in the founding of Bishop College, the black Baptist institution that was located in Marshall from 1881-1961. In 2008 Bethesda was added to the "Buard History Trail" which recognizes historic ...
Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church is a historic African-American congregation. It is located at 801 W. Grand Ave (Hwy 80) in Marshall. The church was established in 1867, making it one of the oldest surviving congregations in Harrison County. It was founded by Rev. A. E. Clemmons, pastor of the white First Baptist Church, and Rev. William Massey, a black religious leader who led 450 persons to form the congregation. Throughout its history, Bethesda's membership has included pastors and members notable not only in Marshall but far beyond. Among the founders was David Abner, who was Harrison County treasurer, state legislator, and delegate to the 1875 Constitutional Convention. Another was Andrew Gross, father of Frederick Gross who became president of Houston College. The congregation also had a leading role in the founding of Bishop College, which was an African-American Baptist institution located in Marshall from 1881-1961. In its beginning the congregation was known simply as "Colored Baptist Church," the name on the deed. When the name was changed, the members chose "Bethesda" to identify with the healing pool of Biblical Jerusalem. During the 1980's, the word "Missionary" was added to reflect denominational affiliation. Bethesda's first dedicated church building was a one-story wooden structure constructed at the present location. A picture of it can be seen in the portal. During 1897-1901, the wooden building was razed for construction of a larger Gothic-style brick building. That one burned in 1953 and was replaced by the nearly identical structure shown in the picture at left. However the original wood facade was retained within the brick facades of both later buildings, creating a physical link with the past. Another link with the past was renewed during the 1980's, when Bethesda began to join with First Baptist Church for occasional worship services and fellowships. Recently the ...
Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church is located at 801 W. Grand Ave. (Hwy 80) in Marshall. Bethesda is a traditionally African-American congregation with roots to 1867, that period after Emancipation when African-Americans were establishing their own churches. A pastor of the white First Baptist Church, Rev. A. E. Clemmons, and a black preacher, Rev. William Massey, worked together to found the original congregation of 450 persons that met in Massey's home. Originally the congregation was known simply as "Colored Baptist Church," the name on the deed. When the members elected to change the name, they identified with the pool of Bethesda in Biblical Jerusalem. It means "a source of healing and comfort, a pool or spring of healing water." The word "Missionary" was added to the name in the mid-1980's to reflect denominational affiliation. Throughout its history, Bethesda has included notable citizens who made contributions both locally and far beyond Marshall. One of the founders was David Abner, who was Harrison County treasurer, a member of the state legislature, and a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1875. Abner and the Bethesda congregation helped to found Bishop College, the black Baptist institution which was located in Marshall 1881-1961. Bethesda's first dedicated church building was a one-story wooden structure raised on the current site. A picture of it may be seen in the Texas History Portal. During 1897-1901, that structure was razed; and then an enlarged Gothic-style brick edifice was constructed on the same site. This one burned in 1953 and was replaced by the nearly identical building shown. Views in the picture are the south and east facades on a late fall afternoon. Three youths are on the lawn and the front steps. In 2008 this historic church was listed on the "Buard History Trail" which recognizes local sites significant to ...
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Days listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.