An educator and leader in the African-American community in Marshall sits behind his office desk. A calendar and early telephone are at left. On the desk blotter are a vase of flowers and a fountain pen set. Behind him are storage drawers and some large record books.
The Powder Mill Cemetery in Marshall was receiving a cleanup at the time of this picture, c1984. The cemetery is located on FM 1997. It is a traditionally African-American site. A unidentified man with his back to the camera is seen at left. In the center is a box truck pulling a utility trailer with a chipper on it. In foreground the graves which have already been cleared are visible.
The graves of Matthew Leach, Sr. and Matthew Leach, Jr. are in the Powder Mill Cemetery in Marshall. The cemetery, located on FM 1997 in Marshall, is traditionally African-American. Dates of Matthew Leach, Sr. are 1882-1952. Dates of Matthew Leach, Jr. are 1910-1968. Stalks of flowers are engraved into the top of the single stone which touches two slabs. A vase of flowers rests on the slab at left. Another grave is visible to the left also. Behind the scene is an iron fence.
The Lions Club of Marshall hosted a fish fry in April, 1972 to benefit the Marshall Public Library Building Fund. Harrison Forbes, club president, stands with Martin Spangler, who headed the fund-raising drive for the Friends of the Public Library. The two men stand in front of the Lions Club's banner; in front of them are promotional placards in the shape of fish on a string.
Members of the Army National Guard raise the new flag in front of the new Marshall Public Library at formal presentation ceremonies. The flag previously flew over the Capitol, and was a gift arranged by Congressman Sam B. Hall, Jr. through the Ladies Auxiliary of VFW Post 3969.
The first flag to fly over the new Marshall Public Library was flown over the Capitol before being presented to the library by the Ladies Auxiliary of the VFW Post 3969. The gift was made possible by Congressman Sam B. Hall of Harrison County. Three members of the Army National Guard are shown raising the colors at the formal presentation ceremony.
The grave of John L. A. Baltimore is in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997, Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates on the stone are Feb 5 1914 and Oct 17 1956. Other information is "TEXAS CK2 USNR World War II." There is a simple encircled cross at the top. The stone is attached to a larger slab. A pot of flowers sits above.
The grave of Annie Mae Powell is in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates on this headstone are Dec. 11 1885 - May 19 1916. The name Powell is in large raised block letters on the middle of the stone. Scroll lines decorate the top edge. Other graves are visible nearby.
These graves are in Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in east Marshall. The letters on the stone in foreground are illegible. The stone at right center is for two Madisons. Others are visible in the distance. The cemetery, a traditionally African-American site, is maintained.
Three unidentified African-American citizens pose in a room. One senior man is accompanied by two senior women. The room's location is also unknown. An exterior door is at left. Art objects on wall and shelf decoratethe room, which has stains on the wall and ceiling.
The grave of Lee Annie Brown is located in Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in Marshall. It a traditionally African-American site. The dates 1863-1935 are engraved on the stone, which is applied to the slab. Above the stone is a decoration.
Rambo Funeral Home in Marshall has been serving the African-American community for decades. It is located at 622 S. Carter St., an address which places it in the "New Town Neighborhood" of west Marshall. New Town is a cluster of residences, businesses, professional offices, schools, and churches which developed by 1930 around Wiley College. It is currently of interest as a historical area to be preserved for local African-American history.
Central High School was located on a hill at the conjunction of Railroad Ave. (now Alamo), Border St. (now Travis), and Fannin St in Marshall. It was built by Prof. H. B. Pemberton, using his own funds which were repaid by donations. It was the first public school for African-Americans in the city. In the beginning all grade levels were there. When elementary schools were built, those grades moved and Central became a high school. Later the high school moved to a new campus on Wiley Ave. (Rosborough Springs Rd.) The old building was torn down and the hill leveled. Today a historic marker stands on the site.
Potters Creek Cemetery is located in Harrison County. It is on the south side of Hwy 449 (Hynson Springs Rd.) across from Potters Creek Church. This is east of the village of Hallsville near Bailey Cutoff. As shown in the picture, one travels about 100 yards down a lane with a big gate. A vehicle, possibly a hearse, is in the lane with an unidentified man standing nearby. The roof of a structure is visible in the distance. No graves appear in the picture. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. According to its catalog, the oldest death date is 1883. The cemetery is still used and maintained.
An unidentified brick building in Marshall. There are three exterior doors on the ground floor with large windows on either side. Three windows on the upper floor align with the doors. Larger windows are on each end. The building sits alone on a low rise, with steps leading through a lawn to the front entrance.
The U. R. Weisner home is located in rural Leigh, northeast of Marshall in Harrison County. Mr. Weisner was a leader and property owner who contributed to the community good. He also gathered local African-American history which has been preserved.
St. John Baptist Church is located on Blocker Rd., seven miles southeast of Marshall in rural Harrison County. It is a traditionally African-American congregation. Founded in 1869, the present sanctuary was built in 1960. A two-story red brick structure, it has a front-facing gable with a smaller gable over the entrance. Broad steps lead to the arched opening.
The president's home at Bishop College in Marshall was formerly an antebellum plantation mansion called Wyalucing, located on a hilltop at the western end of Burleson Street. Constructed c1850, it was the home of the Holcombe family that moved to Marshall from Tennessee. A daughter, Lucy Petway Holcombe (1832-1899), married Col. Francis Wilkinson Pickens in the house. A lawyer and secessionist, he first became United States Ambassador to Russia and later the Confederate governor of South Carolina. Also a staunch supportor of the Southern cause, Mrs. Pickens was called "Lady Lucy, Queen of the Confederacy." Her likeness appears on certain Confederate currency, the only woman's image to do so. A historic marker at the corner of Hwy 80 and Bishop St. recognizes her. Wyalucing became the original building and centerpiece of Bishop College, which was established in 1881. Bishop relocated to Dallas in 1961. The house was razed during the 1970's to make way for a federal housing project.
The law office of Lewis L. Scott, attorney, was located at 508 S. Carter St. in Marshall when this photograph was made, c1980. The office is a white-frame bungalow in the New Town Neighborhood which is of historical importance to the African-American community.
The Record Hut is the sign on this business in Marshall. The address is 512 1/2 S. Carter St. The location is within the New Town Neighborhood, which is a historic African-American community in west Marshall. The building is a small flat-roofed concrete block structure with grilles over the doors and an ice machine outside. The sign also has the words, "Tapes" and "Head Shop." A name on the sign is almost obscured by glare, but appears to be J. W. Fry.
In this March 7, 1978 interview, George Foreman announced his return to the boxing ring just eleven days before the first anniversary of his retirement. The ex-heavyweight champion previously boxed with Jimmy Young in Puerto Rico. Following that fight, Foreman experienced a religious conversion which prompted his retirement. He declared that he felt led to return to the ring as a witness to his beliefs. 29 years old at the time of this interview, George Foreman has maintained a ranch south of Marshall in Harrison County for many years. The ranch has training facilities which he used to prepare for several bouts.
An unidentified cemetery in Harrison County. It is known to be a traditionally African-American site. A cyclone fence is in the foreground. Rows of slabs are decorated with flowers and plants. Headstones can be seen in the distance. The cemetery appears to be neatly trimmed and has mature trees to create a park-like setting.
Marshall University was one of Marshall's earliest schools. It was authorized by Sam Houston in 1842. In 1843 Peter Whetstone, founder of Marshall, gave ten acres of land for educational purposes. The plot is located on the corner of W. Houston and College St., where Marshall Junior High School stands today. The building shown in the picture was contracted in 1851. It served the community until 1910, when it closed its doors. The school was never a true university. It served educational needs of more youthful boys and girls. A historical marker on the campus recognizes the school's history and contributions.
The "End Zone" was a business in Marshall, location unknown. It was a small one-story building that stood alone on the lot. It had two entrance doors and large windows. On a boarded window are the words, "Private for Members Only Guests Welcome." A picture is attached to another boarded window.
The Carnegie Library in Marshall was located at Wiley College. It was built with a $15,000 grant obtained in 1907 by Dr. M. W. Dogan, a president of the college. In 1967 it was replaced by a more modern library. An interior view shows the reading area and stacks. The building has been preserved and is now the Wiley College Administration building.
Mrs. Marietta B. Nelson taught typing and shorthand courses at Pemberton High School in Marshall. Pemberton, which was eventually merged with Marshall High School, was an African-American school before integration.
Jerusalem Baptist Church is located at 1300 Billups St. in Marshall. It is within the historic New Town Neighborhood in the western section of the city. It is a traditionally African-American congregation. In 1874 when the church was established, the area was known as Hubbard's Hill. The present sanctuary was constructed in 1948. Of red brick, the central tower above the entrance has the words, "God Is Love."
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Days listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.