Marshall Public Library - 742 Matching Results

Search Results

[Friends of a Public Library Gives Bookmobile to the City of Marshall]

Description: Marshall, Texas, Mayor William Huffman (center) accepts the keys to the new bookmobile from Dr. A. F. Veau, (right), president of the Friends of a Public Library as City Manager Ray Jackson (left) looks on. In the background, W.C. Wallace, bookmobile driver, supervises a tour of the vehicle. Caption and photo from the Marshall News Messenger newspaper, Wednesday, April 12, 1978.
Date: April 12, 1978

[Library Display Showcases Liberty]

Description: Mrs. Dorothy Morrison, Marshall Public Library Director, shows off a display about Liberty. In the center of the display is a replica of the Liberty Bell, given by Marshall National Bank in 1976. Mrs. Morrison holds a reproduction of a liberty document. Books, small flags and a model cannon round out the display.
Date: 1976

[First Lady Supports New Library]

Description: Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson, right, former First Lady and a native of Harrison County, met with Fenn Lewis, left, president of the Marshall Friends of a Public Library, at the LBJ Library in Austin. Mrs. Johnson was honorary chairwoman of the National Gifts and Grants Committee of the Marshall Public Library Building Fund Drive. She and Lewis met to review plans for the new facility, which opened in October, 1973.
Date: 1983

[Principal G. A. Rosborough, Educator]

Description: Mr. Garfield A. Rosborough was principal of Pemberton High School in Marshall from 1944 until 1972. He was born August 21, 1903 in Harrison County, where he was raised and educated. He received his teaching degree from Wiley College in Marshall with graduate work at the University of Colorado. His entire career was spent at the local high schools. During his administration of Pemberton, the curriculum and school plant were expanded. His total contribution to education spanned 48 years. The yearbook picture, possibly 1964, shows him seated at the PHS principal's desk. Below the photo is his annual message to the students.
Date: unknown

[Pemberton High School, Marshall]

Description: Students are gathered in the courtyard in front of Pemberton High School in Marshall. The school was traditionally African-American before integration. In 1970 MISD merged grades 10-12 with Marshall High School. Pemberton then housed the ninth grade until 1988, when the ninth grade went to Marshall High School. The campus was then sold to Wiley College. This photo is from the 1964-65 yearbook.
Date: unknown

[Friends of the Library Inspect the New Bookmobile]

Description: Lou Gaw, left, and Audrey Kariel, right, inspect the Marshall Public Library's new bookmobile. The Friends of a Public Library group acquired a motor home for the purpose. It was refurbished and re-constructed inside for library books. It was ready for use by April, 1978. According to the caption, Hallsville was the first stop on the schedule.
Date: 1978