Marshall Public Library - 738 Matching Results

Search Results

[Monument]

Description: Photograph of an unidentified monument, dated 1812, with elaborately carved figures on the top, at the base, and on the accompanying low walls projecting from the base.
Date: unknown

[Marshall Hotel, Marshall]

Description: The multi-story Marshall Hotel is a landmark in downtown Marshall. It is located on E. Houston Street. The corner shown is E. Houston and Lafayette. The building to the left of the hotel is the Mahon Building, was an office building at the time of the picture, c1970. After many years of standing empty and neglected, the hotel is currently under restoration.
Date: 1970~

[African-American Educator in Marshall]

Description: An educator and leader in the African-American community in Marshall sits behind his office desk. A calendar and early telephone are at left. On the desk blotter are a vase of flowers and a fountain pen set. Behind him are storage drawers and some large record books.
Date: unknown

[UT Alumni Celebrate Library Opening]

Description: Members of the Harrison County Association of ex-University of Texas Students celebrate the opening of the new Marshall Public Library at a reception on October 20, 1973.
Date: October 20, 1972

[Cemetery Cleanup, Marshall]

Description: The Powder Mill Cemetery in Marshall was receiving a cleanup at the time of this picture, c1984. The cemetery is located on FM 1997. It is a traditionally African-American site. A unidentified man with his back to the camera is seen at left. In the center is a box truck pulling a utility trailer with a chipper on it. In foreground the graves which have already been cleared are visible.
Date: unknown

[Grave of Father and Son Leach, Marshall]

Description: The graves of Matthew Leach, Sr. and Matthew Leach, Jr. are in the Powder Mill Cemetery in Marshall. The cemetery, located on FM 1997 in Marshall, is traditionally African-American. Dates of Matthew Leach, Sr. are 1882-1952. Dates of Matthew Leach, Jr. are 1910-1968. Stalks of flowers are engraved into the top of the single stone which touches two slabs. A vase of flowers rests on the slab at left. Another grave is visible to the left also. Behind the scene is an iron fence.
Date: unknown

[Library Volunteer at Her Duties]

Description: Margie was a volunteer at Marshall Public Library in 1978. Here she assists at the circulation desk. Volunteers donated countless hours to the library during its early years.
Date: 1978

[Lions Host Fish Fry to Benefit Marshall Public Library]

Description: The Lions Club of Marshall hosted a fish fry in April, 1972 to benefit the Marshall Public Library Building Fund. Harrison Forbes, club president, stands with Martin Spangler, who headed the fund-raising drive for the Friends of the Public Library. The two men stand in front of the Lions Club's banner; in front of them are promotional placards in the shape of fish on a string.
Date: unknown

[New Flag for a New Library]

Description: Members of the Army National Guard raise the new flag in front of the new Marshall Public Library at formal presentation ceremonies. The flag previously flew over the Capitol, and was a gift arranged by Congressman Sam B. Hall, Jr. through the Ladies Auxiliary of VFW Post 3969.
Date: 1973

[Flag Presentation]

Description: The first flag to fly over the new Marshall Public Library was flown over the Capitol before being presented to the library by the Ladies Auxiliary of the VFW Post 3969. The gift was made possible by Congressman Sam B. Hall of Harrison County. Three members of the Army National Guard are shown raising the colors at the formal presentation ceremony.
Date: 1973

[Library Supporters Pose at Library Opening]

Description: Audrey Kariel, Project Director, and Carolyn Abney, civic leader and library supporter, pose at the reception for the grand opening of new Marshall Public Library October 20, 1973.
Date: October 20, 1972

[Grave of John L. A. Baltimore, Marshall]

Description: The grave of John L. A. Baltimore is in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997, Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates on the stone are Feb 5 1914 and Oct 17 1956. Other information is "TEXAS CK2 USNR World War II." There is a simple encircled cross at the top. The stone is attached to a larger slab. A pot of flowers sits above.
Date: unknown

[Grave of Annie Mae Powell, Marshall]

Description: The grave of Annie Mae Powell is in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates on this headstone are Dec. 11 1885 - May 19 1916. The name Powell is in large raised block letters on the middle of the stone. Scroll lines decorate the top edge. Other graves are visible nearby.
Date: unknown

[Shelving Books at the Library]

Description: One of the daily duties in a library is shelving books. Here a student worker and another volunteer in the next aisle are keeping the stacks in order at Marshall Public Library, c. 1980.
Date: 1980

[Graves in Nichols Cemetery, Marshall]

Description: These graves are in Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in east Marshall. The letters on the stone in foreground are illegible. The stone at right center is for two Madisons. Others are visible in the distance. The cemetery, a traditionally African-American site, is maintained.
Date: unknown

[Three African-American Citizens]

Description: Three unidentified African-American citizens pose in a room. One senior man is accompanied by two senior women. The room's location is also unknown. An exterior door is at left. Art objects on wall and shelf decoratethe room, which has stains on the wall and ceiling.
Date: unknown

[Grave of Lee Annie Brown, Marshall]

Description: The grave of Lee Annie Brown is located in Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in Marshall. It a traditionally African-American site. The dates 1863-1935 are engraved on the stone, which is applied to the slab. Above the stone is a decoration.
Date: unknown

[Rambo Funeral Home in Marshall]

Description: Rambo Funeral Home in Marshall has been serving the African-American community for decades. It is located at 622 S. Carter St., an address which places it in the "New Town Neighborhood" of west Marshall. New Town is a cluster of residences, businesses, professional offices, schools, and churches which developed by 1930 around Wiley College. It is currently of interest as a historical area to be preserved for local African-American history.
Date: unknown

[James Chapel, Harrison County]

Description: James Chapel Church is located on the Marshall-Leigh Rd. (CR 2200) east of Marshall in rural Harrison County. Its history is unknown.
Date: unknown