Marshall Public Library - 742 Matching Results

Search Results

[Flag Presentation]

Description: The first flag to fly over the new Marshall Public Library was flown over the Capitol before being presented to the library by the Ladies Auxiliary of the VFW Post 3969. The gift was made possible by Congressman Sam B. Hall of Harrison County. Three members of the Army National Guard are shown raising the colors at the formal presentation ceremony.
Date: 1973

[Grave of John L. A. Baltimore, Marshall]

Description: The grave of John L. A. Baltimore is in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997, Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates on the stone are Feb 5 1914 and Oct 17 1956. Other information is "TEXAS CK2 USNR World War II." There is a simple encircled cross at the top. The stone is attached to a larger slab. A pot of flowers sits above.
Date: unknown

[Grave of Annie Mae Powell, Marshall]

Description: The grave of Annie Mae Powell is in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates on this headstone are Dec. 11 1885 - May 19 1916. The name Powell is in large raised block letters on the middle of the stone. Scroll lines decorate the top edge. Other graves are visible nearby.
Date: unknown

[Graves in Nichols Cemetery, Marshall]

Description: These graves are in Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in east Marshall. The letters on the stone in foreground are illegible. The stone at right center is for two Madisons. Others are visible in the distance. The cemetery, a traditionally African-American site, is maintained.
Date: unknown

[Three African-American Citizens]

Description: Three unidentified African-American citizens pose in a room. One senior man is accompanied by two senior women. The room's location is also unknown. An exterior door is at left. Art objects on wall and shelf decoratethe room, which has stains on the wall and ceiling.
Date: unknown

[Rambo Funeral Home in Marshall]

Description: Rambo Funeral Home in Marshall has been serving the African-American community for decades. It is located at 622 S. Carter St., an address which places it in the "New Town Neighborhood" of west Marshall. New Town is a cluster of residences, businesses, professional offices, schools, and churches which developed by 1930 around Wiley College. It is currently of interest as a historical area to be preserved for local African-American history.
Date: unknown

[Central High School, Marshall]

Description: Central High School was located on a hill at the conjunction of Railroad Ave. (now Alamo), Border St. (now Travis), and Fannin St in Marshall. It was built by Prof. H. B. Pemberton, using his own funds which were repaid by donations. It was the first public school for African-Americans in the city. In the beginning all grade levels were there. When elementary schools were built, those grades moved and Central became a high school. Later the high school moved to a new campus on Wiley Ave. (Rosborough Springs Rd.) The old building was torn down and the hill leveled. Today a historic marker stands on the site.
Date: unknown

[Potters Creek Cemetery, Harrison County]

Description: Potters Creek Cemetery is located in Harrison County. It is on the south side of Hwy 449 (Hynson Springs Rd.) across from Potters Creek Church. This is east of the village of Hallsville near Bailey Cutoff. As shown in the picture, one travels about 100 yards down a lane with a big gate. A vehicle, possibly a hearse, is in the lane with an unidentified man standing nearby. The roof of a structure is visible in the distance. No graves appear in the picture. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. According to its catalog, the oldest death date is 1883. The cemetery is still used and maintained.
Date: unknown

[Building in Marshall]

Description: An unidentified brick building in Marshall. There are three exterior doors on the ground floor with large windows on either side. Three windows on the upper floor align with the doors. Larger windows are on each end. The building sits alone on a low rise, with steps leading through a lawn to the front entrance.
Date: unknown