Marshall Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[St. John Baptist Church in Harrison County]

Description: St. John Baptist Church is located on Blocker Rd., seven miles southeast of Marshall in rural Harrison County. It is a traditionally African-American congregation. Founded in 1869, the present sanctuary was built in 1960. A two-story red brick structure, it has a front-facing gable with a smaller gable over the entrance. Broad steps lead to the arched opening.
Date: unknown

[President's Home at Bishop College, Marshall]

Description: The president's home at Bishop College in Marshall was formerly an antebellum plantation mansion called Wyalucing, located on a hilltop at the western end of Burleson Street. Constructed c1850, it was the home of the Holcombe family that moved to Marshall from Tennessee. A daughter, Lucy Petway Holcombe (1832-1899), married Col. Francis Wilkinson Pickens in the house. A lawyer and secessionist, he first became United States Ambassador to Russia and later the Confederate governor of South Carolina. Also a staunch supportor of the Southern cause, Mrs. Pickens was called "Lady Lucy, Queen of the Confederacy." Her likeness appears on certain Confederate currency, the only woman's image to do so. A historic marker at the corner of Hwy 80 and Bishop St. recognizes her. Wyalucing became the original building and centerpiece of Bishop College, which was established in 1881. Bishop relocated to Dallas in 1961. The house was razed during the 1970's to make way for a federal housing project.
Date: unknown

[Business in Marshall]

Description: The Record Hut is the sign on this business in Marshall. The address is 512 1/2 S. Carter St. The location is within the New Town Neighborhood, which is a historic African-American community in west Marshall. The building is a small flat-roofed concrete block structure with grilles over the doors and an ice machine outside. The sign also has the words, "Tapes" and "Head Shop." A name on the sign is almost obscured by glare, but appears to be J. W. Fry.
Date: unknown

[George Foreman, Harrison County Celebrity]

Description: In this March 7, 1978 interview, George Foreman announced his return to the boxing ring just eleven days before the first anniversary of his retirement. The ex-heavyweight champion previously boxed with Jimmy Young in Puerto Rico. Following that fight, Foreman experienced a religious conversion which prompted his retirement. He declared that he felt led to return to the ring as a witness to his beliefs. 29 years old at the time of this interview, George Foreman has maintained a ranch south of Marshall in Harrison County for many years. The ranch has training facilities which he used to prepare for several bouts.
Date: unknown

[Cemetery in Harrison County]

Description: An unidentified cemetery in Harrison County. It is known to be a traditionally African-American site. A cyclone fence is in the foreground. Rows of slabs are decorated with flowers and plants. Headstones can be seen in the distance. The cemetery appears to be neatly trimmed and has mature trees to create a park-like setting.
Date: unknown

[Marshall University, Marshall]

Description: Marshall University was one of Marshall's earliest schools. It was authorized by Sam Houston in 1842. In 1843 Peter Whetstone, founder of Marshall, gave ten acres of land for educational purposes. The plot is located on the corner of W. Houston and College St., where Marshall Junior High School stands today. The building shown in the picture was contracted in 1851. It served the community until 1910, when it closed its doors. The school was never a true university. It served educational needs of more youthful boys and girls. A historical marker on the campus recognizes the school's history and contributions.
Date: unknown

[Business in Marshall]

Description: The "End Zone" was a business in Marshall, location unknown. It was a small one-story building that stood alone on the lot. It had two entrance doors and large windows. On a boarded window are the words, "Private for Members Only Guests Welcome." A picture is attached to another boarded window.
Date: unknown

[Carnegie Library at Wiley College, Marshall]

Description: The Carnegie Library in Marshall was located at Wiley College. It was built with a $15,000 grant obtained in 1907 by Dr. M. W. Dogan, a president of the college. In 1967 it was replaced by a more modern library. An interior view shows the reading area and stacks. The building has been preserved and is now the Wiley College Administration building.
Date: unknown

[Jerusalem Baptist Church]

Description: Jerusalem Baptist Church is located at 1300 Billups St. in Marshall. It is within the historic New Town Neighborhood in the western section of the city. It is a traditionally African-American congregation. In 1874 when the church was established, the area was known as Hubbard's Hill. The present sanctuary was constructed in 1948. Of red brick, the central tower above the entrance has the words, "God Is Love."
Date: unknown

[Greater Rock Spring Baptist Church, Harrison County]

Description: There are two Rock Spring Baptist churches in Harrison County. This one is the Greater Rock Spring Baptist Church No 2, located on Hwy 43 ten miles southwest of Marshall. Originally the site was by the Rock Springs Cemetery. The date of the move to the present site is unknown. The church shown is a white frame building with a bell tower or cupola. The front entrance is covered by a gabled porch. A sign stands near the window at right. The history relates that this was originally a Methodist church for white people; but they turned it over to a black congregation in 1871. The two white men who took part were Parson Carter and Parson William Russell. The first pastor after the transfer was Parson William Townson. The building shown was erected between 1931 and 1951, when the "Father of the Church," Rev. J. J. Jones, was pastor. Physical improvements have been added twice. During the second remodeling, 1975-1978, the word "Greater" was added to the church's name so that it has been known as "Greater Rock Spring Baptist Church No. 2" since that time.
Date: unknown

[Huey P. May, Human Resources Developer]

Description: Huey P. May of Dallas was interviewed by Julia Scott Reed for her "Open Line" column published on February 5, 1978 in the Dallas Morning News. May was acknowleged for his appointment to the board of directors of the local American Society for Training and Development. He was the first African-American member of the organization, and the first minority on its board. At the time of the interview, he was employed by the City of Dallas as an assistant in the personnel training division. He provided courses for some 12,000 city employees. Before working for Dallas, he developed training programs for DuPont, U.S. Steel, Chevron Chemical Corp., Northrup, and Texas Instruments. May received his Bachelor degree from Bishop College and a Master degree from the University of Texas at Arlington. His work in human resources was recognized by the National Alliance of Businessmen and the American Business Women's Association.
Date: unknown