Two graves in Nichols Cemetery, Marshall, belong to the Turner family. At right is Milissa Turner, Mar 07, 1864-Nov. 17, 1952. At left is Maliss Turner, Oct. 04, 1908-Nov. 17, 1941. Behind the fence can be seen the roof of a modern ranch house. Nichols Cemetery (also called Old Sudduth) is located on Merrill St. in east Marshall. It is surrounded by modern subdivisions. It is a traditionally African-American cemetery. Enclosed by wood and cyclone fencing, the site is still used.
These graves are in Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in east Marshall. The letters on the stone in foreground are illegible. The stone at right center is for two Madisons. Others are visible in the distance. The cemetery, a traditionally African-American site, is maintained.
The graves of John and Roberta Madison are in Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery in Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates for John (right) are 1888-1970. The dates for Roberta (left) are 1884-1975. He was a local preacher. Roberta Madison's maiden is Choyce and her parent were Frank Choyce and Rebecca Copeland. Roberta's first husband was Lucky Singleton. Roberta's Grandfather was Peter Choyce who ran for the House of Representative in 1880.
There are two Rock Spring Baptist churches in Harrison County. This one is the Greater Rock Spring Baptist Church No 2, located on Hwy 43 ten miles southwest of Marshall. Originally the site was by the Rock Springs Cemetery. The date of the move to the present site is unknown. The church shown is a white frame building with a bell tower or cupola. The front entrance is covered by a gabled porch. A sign stands near the window at right. The history relates that this was originally a Methodist church for white people; but they turned it over to a black congregation in 1871. The two white men who took part were Parson Carter and Parson William Russell. The first pastor after the transfer was Parson William Townson. The building shown was erected between 1931 and 1951, when the "Father of the Church," Rev. J. J. Jones, was pastor. Physical improvements have been added twice. During the second remodeling, 1975-1978, the word "Greater" was added to the church's name so that it has been known as "Greater Rock Spring Baptist Church No. 2" since that time.
The entrance to old Greenwood Cemetery near East Texas Baptist University in Marshall has a Texas Historical marker. The marker relates that the cemetery "Originated 1840 as private burial ground Van Zandt family." The Van Zandts were a founding family in Harrison County, and Texas patriots. The cemetery later became public and has numerous old graves.
The Gregg-Hampton mansion was located at 407 W. Rusk street in Marshall. In 1984, it was a victim of an early morning fire which rendered it beyond repair. The site now belongs to the First Baptist Church.
A group examines a stone commemoration marker. At left is Judge Ben Z. Grant. The other man and woman are unidentified. The marker is also not known; but the word "ESTABLISHED" is clearly on the bottom of the engraving.
An unidentified group, possibly from Harrison County, poses in front of their tour bus. The group is composed of nine women and four men, most of whom are youth. The place appears to be a parking lot. A building with automobiles is visible in the background. A large light pole stands behind the bus.
The photo shows the Harrison County Courthouse burning on June 7, 1899. Materials left by a repairman working on the roof caught fire. Several groups, including a man on a horse, watch from N. Washington St. This was the third county courthouse, completed in 1889. Designed by Tozer & McQuirk of Dallas, local builder James Higgins did the construction. The building was designed in the Second Empire style, with a 275-foot tower, brick walls, sandstone trim, and Italianate detailing. It faced north toward N. Washington St. It was replaced within two years with a fourth courthouse which still stands.
The Allen House in Marshall has a Texas Medallion. It is located at 610 N. Washington Ave. in the Marshall Historic District, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The residence was built in 1879 by the Rev. Walker Montecue Allen. Ordained by a Mississippi Presbytery in 1848, Rev. Allen and his wife moved to Marshall in 1876, where they served their faith until death. The home remained in the family estate until 1944, when it was sold. Eventually sub-divided into apartments, the house began a slow deterioration until it was rescued from demolition in 1972 by the Harrison County Historical Society, which saw to restoration. Its adjunct, the H. C. Conservation Society, has maintained the house to the present time. The house as pictured has a two-story frame structure with double galleries and a third-floor attic. Open to the public, it is always featured during the city's annual Christmas pilgrimage of homes.
The Fry-Barry house in Marshall has a Texas Medallion designating it as a Texas Historic Landmark. Built between 1853 and 1861 by Fidel Bercher, it is located at 314 West Austin Street very near the courthouse square. Architect W. R. D. Ward designed the raised-cottage plan. The main rooms are on the second level; but the lower level is enclosed with rooms also. Bricks were hand-made by local slaves. In 1872 the house was purchased by E. J. Fry, a member of the English Frye family that was associated with the family of Thomas Jefferson. E. J. Fry was in the Civil War before coming to Marshall where he was a successful businessman. A daughter married W. L. Barry and lived in the home until 1961; hence the name Fry-Barry. The house remained in the family for more than 110 years, and is still well maintained.
The Wigfall House in Marshall, Texas has a Texas Medallion designating it as a Texas Historic Landmark. It is located at 510 West Burleson Street. It was constructed between 1854 and 1856 by Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Jordan. During the Civil War it was owned by Louis T. Wigfall, a colorful lawyer and politician whose name endures with the house. It originally had the symmetrical, single-level plan of four rooms and a central hall that is typical of the early East Texas house. Subsequent owners have transformed it into a one-and-one-half story Victorian cottage.
This train depot served the Texas & Pacific passenger traffic in Marshall when the city was a center for east-west transportation through Texas as well as a large railroad yard. Now the several trains which pass daily through the city are either T&P freight or AMTRAK. The depot has been restored by Marshall citizens and contains a museum. It is the centerpiece of the historic train district. The picture gives a side view of the building before its restoration.
A view of the Texas and Pacific depot in Marshall. The lettering proclaims "Marshall Passenger Station." The tracks run on both sides of the building, so that passengers descend through a tunnel from the parking lot to reach the station. On the second floor balconies permit visitors to view both T&P freight and AMTRAK trains passing underneath. The depot was restored during the 1900s by Marshall citizens and now contains a museum. The depot is the centerpiece of the city's historic train district.
At the time of this picture, the old Ginocchio railroad hotel (at left) in Marshall contained the "All Things Good Restaurant." At right is the brick ticket office which contains the tunnel under the tracks to the historic depot, out of sight behind the office. In the center is a freight train rolling through.
The scene shows part of the historic train district of Marshall. In the right background, some freight cars and the upper story of the train depot appear behind the ticket office, which is in the right center. When passengers bought tickets, they descended into a tunnel which went underneath the tracks to the depot. In the left center is the Ginocchio Hotel, which served rail traffic for many decades. The picture dates from the 1960's. The hotel has been used for a number of venues, including restaurants and a museum, since the heyday of rail service. The All Things Good restaurant figures prominently in the image. The depot was restored during the 1990's and is now a railroad museum. Although the rail yards which made Marshall a rail center are long gone, the T&P railroad and AMTRAK still use the rail route with scheduled stops. The preservation of this historic area has been a highlight of community activity.
The Honorable Edgar (Ed) Foreman is pictured in this newspaper clipping with accompanying text. He represented Texas to the U.S. House of Representatives, 88th Congress, in 1963-65. Later he represented his home state of New Mexico.
This house in Marshal is located on a triangular lot where S. Grove St., University Ave., and Bomar St. intersect. It faces S. Grove St. It has a one-story side-gable wing with stone trim and large windows connected to a two-story, wood-sided, gabled wing turned perpendicular to the other.
This view from the library director's office at Marshall Public Library shows the circulation desk. A staff person sits at an office desk in the center of the circulation area. A child sits on the circulation desk counter, with another person standing near. The south entrance doors are at the extreme right of the photograph. In the far distance is the adult reading and stack area.
The J. B. Williamson House is located on Hynson Springs Road west of Marshall in Harrison County. The house was built during the 1840s or earlier as a dog-trot log cabin. It was occupied by pioneers, farmers, and sharecroppers before being purchased as part of a parcel by Capt. G. C. Dial, a former army soldier, founder, and patriot of the Texas Republic. Dial sold a large tract to S. D. Rainey, who traded it to Martha and A. Judson Gibbs. In 1867, J. B. Williamson bought the "Dial, Rainey, and Gibbs Place." J. B. Williamson was a lawyer and district judge. During 1872-73, Williamson ordered the renovations which enlarged the cabin and added the Greek Revival architectural elements. His daughter and son-in law, Eunice and W. H. Attebery, acquired the home later and established the largest peach orchards in Texas on the property. In 1962, the D. H. Greggs of Houston bought the home, restored it, and secured the Texas Medallion and a listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The Greggs donated the house to the Harrison County Historical Society in 1982, which continues to preserve the property.
In 1972, the local chapter of the Jaycee Jaynes held a game night to benefit the building funds for the Marshall Public Library and Marshall Memorial Hospital. Seated left to right, Mrs. Tom Wynn, Mrs. John Carrington, and Mrs. Kenneth White confer about door prizes.
Jerusalem Baptist Church is located at 1300 Billups St. in Marshall. It is within the historic New Town Neighborhood in the western section of the city. It is a traditionally African-American congregation. In 1874 when the church was established, the area was known as Hubbard's Hill. The present sanctuary was constructed in 1948. Of red brick, the central tower above the entrance has the words, "God Is Love."
The home of Mack C. and Frankie Joseph was located at 1403 Grafton St. in Marshall. Joseph began a floral business in the home about 1949. By 1951 he had moved the business next door to number 1405. The city directory of 1966 lists only Frankie Joseph as the resident of the home, while 1405 is still the floral shop. The 1968 directory has a new resident; and number 1405 is vacant. In the 2000 directory, neither address is listed; but a street has been cut through. These buildings were located within the "New Town Neighborhood," which is a historic area of African-American homes, businesses, professional offices, hospital, and schools that were established around Wiley College. Although overlaid with faux masonry siding at the time of the picture (1967-1975), this house shows its architectural origins in the roof design, porch with columns, and exposed rafters.
Louis and Audrey Kariel, with their children Nancy and son(unknown name) are shown at the reception for the opening of the new Marshall Public Library in 1973. Mr. Kariel is a former chairman of the Library Board of Trustees. Mrs. Kariel was a trustee and the Project Director for the building of the new library. Both have continued to be strong supporters of library development.
A group of children gather around the listening station at Marshall Public Library to listen to books. Others are involved in a reading activity. Since its beginning, the library has maintained children's and family storytimes.
Price T. Young students in Marshall, Texas select books on a RIF distribution day at the Marshall Public Library. The library has participated in the "Reading is Fundamental" program since the 1970's. The program provides funds under a matching grant which the library uses to purchase books to distribute to children free of charge.
The law office of Lewis L. Scott, attorney, was located at 508 S. Carter St. in Marshall when this photograph was made, c1980. The office is a white-frame bungalow in the New Town Neighborhood which is of historical importance to the African-American community.
Liberty Missionary Baptist Church is a traditionally African-American congregation in Harrison County. It is located on Hwy 59 south of Marshall. The church was organized in 1868, making it one of the oldest of the African-American congregations that were organized in Harrison County after the Civil War..
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Days listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.