Mrs. Jimmie Pitts Caviness, contralto singer, is featured in this clipping from a newspaper, program, or newsletter, date unknown. She was born in Mexia. She earned a bachelor's degree at Bishop College, Dallas. She studied music at Westminster Choir College, where she earned the Master of Music Degree. She continued vocal studies at Aspen School of Music and received advanced vocal coaching from several teachers. She won the Regional Metropolitan Opera Auditions, and other awards for achievement in music. She appeared with orchestras, concertized, taught voice, and conducted choirs. She lived in Cleveland, Ohio. She was married to Dr. Theophilus Caviness.
The home of Mack C. and Frankie Joseph was located at 1403 Grafton St. in Marshall. Joseph began a floral business in the home about 1949. By 1951 he had moved the business next door to number 1405. The city directory of 1966 lists only Frankie Joseph as the resident of the home, while 1405 is still the floral shop. The 1968 directory has a new resident; and number 1405 is vacant. In the 2000 directory, neither address is listed; but a street has been cut through. These buildings were located within the "New Town Neighborhood," which is a historic area of African-American homes, businesses, professional offices, hospital, and schools that were established around Wiley College. Although overlaid with faux masonry siding at the time of the picture (1967-1975), this house shows its architectural origins in the roof design, porch with columns, and exposed rafters.
Louis and Audrey Kariel, with their children Nancy and son(unknown name) are shown at the reception for the opening of the new Marshall Public Library in 1973. Mr. Kariel is a former chairman of the Library Board of Trustees. Mrs. Kariel was a trustee and the Project Director for the building of the new library. Both have continued to be strong supporters of library development.
Mrs. Laura L. Johnson (Harry) Price was raised and educated in the "Sunny South" neighborhood of Marshall during the late nineteenth century (dates unknown). She received a teaching certificate from Bishop College. After a brief period teaching in Louisiana and Harrison County schools, she returned to Marshall to teach primary grades at New Town and the old Central (later Hillside) schools until she retired. Special interests in art and photography were brought into her teaching activities. After retirement in 1960, she taught art at Wiley College.
A group of children gather around the listening station at Marshall Public Library to listen to books. Others are involved in a reading activity. Since its beginning, the library has maintained children's and family storytimes.
Price T. Young students in Marshall, Texas select books on a RIF distribution day at the Marshall Public Library. The library has participated in the "Reading is Fundamental" program since the 1970's. The program provides funds under a matching grant which the library uses to purchase books to distribute to children free of charge.
The law office of Lewis L. Scott, attorney, was located at 508 S. Carter St. in Marshall when this photograph was made, c1980. The office is a white-frame bungalow in the New Town Neighborhood which is of historical importance to the African-American community.
Liberty Missionary Baptist Church is a traditionally African-American congregation in Harrison County. It is located on Hwy 59 south of Marshall. The church was organized in 1868, making it one of the oldest of the African-American congregations that were organized in Harrison County after the Civil War..
Mrs. Dorothy Morrison, (at left), Marshall Public Library director, interviews an unidentified woman for a Black History project which was a collaboration between the library and community leaders. The time was c1976. The place and identity of the subject interviewed (at right) are not known. The result of the project was two volumes of collected interviews and essays about people, churches, businesses and schools. The books are "The Black Citizen and Democracy." They are in the library's collection.
A library assistant gives snacks to children as part of a Marshall Public Library program. The assistant and children are unidentified. The library has maintained active children's programming since its beginning.
An unidentified library assistant supervises the picnic which was part of the play day at Marshall Public Library during the 1970's. The play day concluded the library's summer reading program that year.
George Olincy, benefactor to the Marshall Public Library building project. He was chairman of the Andrew Norman Foundation and offered a challenge grant toward a new library building to Audrey Kariel, Project Director. He suggested that the challenge be given to the Friends of a Public Library rather than the city of Marshall. The Friends were able to match the challenge. The cooperation of the city, the library trustees, and the Friends ensured a successful building project that has been a source of civic pride.
Library benefactors Virginia Gold Olinsky, second from left, and Bernice Gold Kranson, right, are shown with other library supporters at a reception during the opening weekend of the Marshall Public Library, October, 1973.
Library benefactors greet other library supporters at the reception for the new Marshall Public Library on October 20, 1973. Third from left is Mrs. George Gold Olincy, then her sister Mrs. Bernice Gold Kranson, fourth from left, and then Mr. George Olincy, right. The Mose and Etta Gold auditorium at the library was named for the Gold's parents.
Mrs. George (Virginia Gold) Olincy of Los Angeles, California, was a trustee of the Andrew Norman Foundation that gave a challenge grant toward the building of the Marshall Public Library. As a former librarian, she was interested in this particular project for her home town of Marshall. The auditorium in the new library was named in memory of her parents, Mose and Etta Gold.
Library clerk Naomi Rhea processes books in the workroom at Marshall Public Library. At the time of the photograph, c1984, Mrs. Rhea used a typewriter for typing accession records. Within a few years, the typewriter was replaced by the microcomputer.
Mrs. Dorothy Morrison, Library Director from 1970-1984, in her office at the new Marshall Public Library. She was the city library's first director, commuting from her home town of Hawkins. Following her death, the newspaper-on-microfilm collection was dedicated to her memory.
Mrs. Dorothy Morrison, Marshall Public Library Director, presents a display to honor the nation's Bicentennial in 1976. The Liberty Bell replica was donated to the library by Marshall National Bank on July 1, 1976. The librarian holds a copy of the Declaration of Independence.
Mrs. Dorothy Morrison, Marshall Public Library Director, shows off a display about Liberty. In the center of the display is a replica of the Liberty Bell, given by Marshall National Bank in 1976. Mrs. Morrison holds a reproduction of a liberty document. Books, small flags and a model cannon round out the display.
Two features at Marshall Public Library in this photograph, c1973-1984, are the card catalog at left and a paperback book rack at right. Several drawers have been removed from the catalog. In the backgraound is a curtained window. In the foreground is a "Kik stool," still a necessary item in most libraries.
These cabinets in the reference area of Marshall Public Library were a storage aid planned at the building of the library. They have been used for storage of art prints, audio tapes, and other items that are not readily stored elsewhere. The top of the cabinets and the wall above have provided display space for two and three dimensional items on exhibit.
A student worker (name unknown) assists with book processing in the workroom of Marshall Public Library. The library is one of the locations used to place students from a local university's work-study program. This liason benefits the library by expanding its personnel. The students' duties include shelving, book processing, and assisting with storytime.
Mrs. Audrey Kariel, who was Project Director for the building of the new Marshall Public Library in 1973, holds a plaque awarded for her work. The event occured in the library's Gold auditorium on its opening weekend, October 20, 1973. Mrs. Kariel said the plaque was "A suprise [for her] - recognizing her work to make the MPL's dream come true."
Don Harper, library supporter, presents a persuasive speech to convince the public of the need for a new public library building. According to the caption, he emphasized, "Now, not later, is the time to act." The new library in Marshall, Texas opened October, 1973.
Dr. Rutledge McClaran of Marshall, Texas is pictured in a newspaper photo with a fellow library supporter, Mrs. Warren F. Keyes. Both served as presidents of the local Friends of a Public Library organization during the group's early years. Mrs. Keyes was also a member of the women's clubs which owned the private lending library which predated the Marshall Public Library. She successfully advocated for a public library.
Library supporter Carolyn Abney, right, and an unidentified man applaud an achievement at a meeting in Marshall. Behind them is a flag and an artist's rendering of the new public library building, which was complete in 1973.
A group of supporters who participated in the project to build a new Marshall Public Library are shown at a celebration dinner in 1973, when the library was completed. At right is Audrey Kariel, Project Coordinator. Others in the picture are unidentified.
Fenn Lewis, center, Mrs. George (Virginia Gold) Olincy to his right, and Mrs. Audrey Kariel, to his left, chat at the reception to celebrate the opening of the new Marshall Public Library in October, 1973. These three were key constituents in the drive to get the library constructed. Others in the picture are unidentified.
Library supporters celebrate the opening of the new Marshall Public Library in 1973. From left are an unidentified woman, Mrs. George Olincy, an unidentified woman, an unidentified man, and Mrs. Bernice Gold Kranson. The Olincys and Mrs. Kranson provided funds for the library's auditorium from the family foundation.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Days listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.