Bill Moyers, national journalist and Marshall favorite son, visits with a fan after his speech. He returned to Marshall, Texas, during the nation's Bicentennial celebration in 1976 to speak on the value of libraries in a community.
Bill Moyers, journalist, speaks at a benefit for the Marshall Public Library during the 1976 bicentennial. Moyers was raised in Marshall, Texas. He occasionally returns to speak and support various issues or events that are significant to him.
A young Billy Don Moyers smiles from the pages of a yearbook. Starting as a teenage newspaper reporter in his home town of Marshall, Texas, Moyers rose to national prominence as a high-level aide in Lyndon B. Johnson's administration. He later changed from print to television journalism, broadcasting news commentary and creating special subject documentaries. Now he is known simply as Bill Moyers; but he has never forgotten his roots.
Birmingham Department Store in Marshall was located at 205-207 and 213 N. Wellington Street from 1967 or 1968 to 2001 or 2002, according to city directories. The picture is from the 1970's. Other businesses are located there now. The store was owned by Samuel A. (Sam) Birmingham and his wife Jean, a school teacher and administrator. Both Birminghams were also civic leaders. Sam Birmingham was Marshall's first African-American mayor. Mrs. Birmingham served on the city commission after her retirement.
A page from the 1926 Bishop College yearbook pictures a young female student in the Academic Department. That department taught grades lower than college to younger students. Bishop College was located in Marshall at that time.
This old photograph shows the interior of the chapel at Bishop College in Marshall. Bishop College was founded in 1881 and chartered in 1885. It was owned and operated by the American Baptist Home Mission Society of New York City. Named after Nathan Bishop, corresponding secretary of the Society, the college's purpose was to train African-American teachers and preachers for the development of Christian leadership. The institution originally included a grammar school, a high school, college preparatory courses, an industrial school, and a four-year standard college course leading to the Bachelor degree. Later the college phased out the lower grades. In 1961 the campus moved to Dallas. After financial difficulties, the college closed in 1988. None of the original buildings in Marshall remain.
This building was erected to be a temporary chapel for Bishop College when the campus was located in Marshall. Bishop was a historic Baptist college for African-American students that was established in 1881. In 1961 the campus relocated to Dallas. Falling upon hard times, Bishop closed in 1988. None of the original Marshall campus remains.
This was a temporary classroom building in the early years of Bishop College in Marshall. The college was established as a Baptist institution for African-Americans in 1881. The campus relocated to Dallas in 1961. Bishop closed in 1988. None of the original Marshall campus remains.
Marston Hall, located on the historic Bishop College campus in Marshall, was a dormitory for college men. It was built between 1909 and 1915 on the site of an older dormitory, also called Marston Hall. The campus buildings no longer exist. Bishop was established in 1881 as a Baptist college for African-Americans. In 1961 the campus relocated to Dallas. Eventually Bishop fell upon hard times and closed in 1988. The large building at right shows the entrance toward the campus. A reservoir surrounded by planting beds is at center. To the left is a small bell tower. In the distance is a small frame building used as a schoolroom.
Bishop Hall was a women's dormitory at Bishop College in Marshall. A historic Black college that was established in 1881, it relocated to Dallas in 1961, eventually fell upon hard times, and closed in 1988. During the institution's life, Bishop educated men and women who became citizens of note in the professions of education, religion, law, and medicine.
Rockefeller Hall was a women's dormitory at Bishop College when it was located in Marshall. Bishop College was a Baptist school for Black students that was established in 1881. In 1961 it relocated to Dallas, eventually fell upon hard times and closed in 1988; but during its time in Marshall, the college educated many men and women who became citizens of note in the professions of education, religion, law, and medicine.
This is a partial copy of the lyrics for "Bishop Blue," the Bishop College school song. Bishop College was founded in Marshall in 1881. It educated many African-American students before relocating to Dallas in 1961. In 1988 the school closed.
A bungalow at Bishop College, Marshall, provided housing for instructors in the early years of the school's history. A historic Baptist college for African-Americans, Bishop was established in 1881. In 1961 it was relocated to Dallas. Falling upon hard times, the college closed in 1988. None of the original buildings of the Marshall campus remain.
Marston Hall, located on the historic Bishop College campus in Marshall, was a dormitory for college men. It was built between 1909 and 1915 on the site of an older dormitory, also called Marston Hall. The campus no longer exists. It was a Baptist college for African-Americans. In the picture, a reservoir is in the foreground. To the left of the building is a small bell tower.
Booker T. Washington Elementary School in Marshall is located at 1202 Evans St in the northwest part of the city. When it opened on Jan. 26, 1959, it was to serve African-American children in grades one through seven who would be transferred from four county schools. In the very next academic year, the school was reorganized to house grades one through three. Another merger occurred two years later when a small school in the community of Woodlawn sent its students. During the late 1960s, Washington was a kindergarten and special education center. From 1978 to 1989, it housed an alternative school, the district health and food services, and other special programs. In 1989 four rooms were added for the school's reorganization as Washington Early Childhood Education Center for prekindergarten and kindergarten children. A 1992 expansion included a multi-purpose room. In 1999, WECC became a Head Start campus, although it retained all district prekindergarten students. In 2002 another expansion added eight classrooms and a library. Now the school houses all of the district's Head Start students while continuing services to all prekindergarten children.
In 1978 the Marshall Public Library received a 28-foot mobile home to be refurbished as a bookmobile. Library Director Dorothy Morrison is shown discussing the project with Mike Wood, left, Friends of a Public Library president, and Fenn Lewis, Friends fund drive chairman. The Friends organisation gave the bookmobile as a service to both the city and Harrison County.
Buard's Phillips 66 Service Station in Marshall was located at 1301 University where it intersects with Sanford Street. Therefore it was located within the historic "New Town Neighborhood," which is an African-American community of homes, businesses, professional offices, schools, and churches grouped around the Wiley College campus. The owner of the station, Polete Buard, was a self-made businessman. He was born and educated in Marshall. In 1929 he married Rebecca Drayden, whose biography is in the Texas History Portal. Buard first worked for the Texas and Pacific Railroad in the freight office. After retiring in 1970, he began operation of this service station, which he had purchased earlier. He was also active in his church and the Masonic Lodge.
An unidentified brick building in Marshall. There are three exterior doors on the ground floor with large windows on either side. Three windows on the upper floor align with the doors. Larger windows are on each end. The building sits alone on a low rise, with steps leading through a lawn to the front entrance.
An unidentified bungalow in Marshall. A three-story brick building is at the left of the picture. Steps lead from the sidewalk up a small rise. The wrought iron columns at the front porch may be a change from the original style and period of the house.
This unidentified bungalow in Marshall has the Craftsman architecture, with the decorative brackets and exposed rafter ends under the eaves, and the trio of small windows in the front-facing gable which covers a porch supported by square half-columns set on brick piers.
An unidentified bungalow in Marshall. The architecture is craftsman, with the front-facing gable, simple brackets, and columns set on brick piers. The house was occupied, clearly by someone who enjoyed plants.
The Record Hut is the sign on this business in Marshall. The address is 512 1/2 S. Carter St. The location is within the New Town Neighborhood, which is a historic African-American community in west Marshall. The building is a small flat-roofed concrete block structure with grilles over the doors and an ice machine outside. The sign also has the words, "Tapes" and "Head Shop." A name on the sign is almost obscured by glare, but appears to be J. W. Fry.
The "End Zone" was a business in Marshall, location unknown. It was a small one-story building that stood alone on the lot. It had two entrance doors and large windows. On a boarded window are the words, "Private for Members Only Guests Welcome." A picture is attached to another boarded window.
A barber shop in Marshall is in a one-story brick building with large windows, a side-gable roof, and a gable over the front steps. Moon's Laundry and Cleaners is visible at the right edge of the picture.
Chesley Francis Adams was both city and county superintendent of schools in Marshall and Harrison County. He was born July 24, 1856 to Chesley M. Adams, a lawyer who came originally from North Carolina, and Martha Stephens Adams. Adams' early education was in Marshall. He received Bachelor degrees from Emory and Henry College in Virginia. Returning to Marshall, he read law and was admitted to the bar. Before entering practice, he taught school for two years. Elected to the office of school superintendent in 1890, he dedicated the rest of his career to city and county schools. Most of the schools at the turn of the century were built during his administration. He is known to have appointed H. B. Pemberton to the position of principal at the new Central School, which was the first public African-American school in the city. In 1891, Adams married Alice C. Stuart, daughter of the president of the Marshall Masonic Female Institute. Mrs. Stuart was a teacher there. Chesley and Alice had three children. The Adams are buried in the old Marshall City Cemetery. He died in 1940. This Marshall News Messenger newspaper photo shows him standing in front of a frame building.
C. H. Maxon was the fifth president of Bishop College in Marshall during the early years of the twentieth century. He is pictured with Mrs. Maxon. He was appointed by the American Baptist Home Missionary Society that founded the college. As all of the first presidents, he was a white man administering a school for African-American students. Bishop College received its first African-American president in 1929 with the appointment of Dr. J. J. Rhoads.
The Capitol Hotel in Marshall existed from 1857 to 1971 at the corner of Houston and Bolivar Streets in Marshall. It was predated by the Adkins House and was succeeded by the Hotel Marshall, which still stands. The Capitol was financed by George A. Adkins and built by two slaves, Dick Land and Green Hill. The hotel had a colorful history due to the momentous times of the Civil War and visits by noted Texans. After the Hotel Marshall was built next door, owner Sam Perkins bought the Capitol and made it an annex of the larger hotel. The Capitol was razed in 1971. A historical marker on the lawn west of the Hotel Marshall records the hotel's history.
The Capitol Hotel stood from 1857 to 1971 at the corner of Houston and Bolivar Streets in Marshall. It was predated by the Adkins House and was succeeded by the Hotel Marshall, which still stands. It was financed by George Adkins and built by two slaves, Dick Land and Green Hill. These expert masons made the bricks that went into the 12-inch walls of the five-story structure. The hotel had a colorful history. It was the scene of important Confederate meetings during the Civil War. Noted Texans, actors, and other VIPS visited there - including the notorious. After the Hotel Marshall was built, owner Sam Perkins bought the Capitol and made it an annex of the larger hotel. The Capitol was razed in 1971. A historical marker on the lawn west of the Hotel Marshall notes the hotel's history.
The Carnegie Library in Marshall was located at Wiley College. It was built with a $15,000 grant obtained in 1907 by Dr. M. W. Dogan, a president of the college. In 1967 it was replaced by a more modern library. An interior view shows the reading area and stacks. The building has been preserved and is now the Wiley College Administration building.
This Carnegie Library was located at Wiley College in Marshall. It was built with a $15,000 grant obtained in 1907 by Dr. M. W. Dogan, a president of the college. In 1967 it was replaced by a more modern library. An interior view shows the reading area and stacks. The building has been preserved and is now the Wiley College Administration building.
Festivities at the grand opening of the new Marshall Public Library in October, 1973 included a dinner for all of those who worked on the project. The only persons identified here are Mrs. George Olincy, second from left; Mrs. Bernice Gold Kranson, center; and Mr. George Olincy, fourth from left.
Audry D. Kariel, Library Building Project Coordinator, with friend Janice Levy and Rabbi Richard Zionst at the dedication of the new Marshall Public Library building on October 21, 1973. Rabbi Zionst gave the invocation at the dedication ceremony, a choice which reflected the amount of financial support and hard work invested by the Marshall Jewish community in the new building.
Two Marshallites present "Uncle Sam" to celebrate Marshall's designation as an All-America City during the nation's bicentennial celebration in 1976. At left is Connie Ware. The woman at right is unidentified.
Celebrating at the October 20, 1973 reception for the opening of the new public library building in Marshall, Texas are Mr. and Mrs. Louis Kariel (left and right) and Tony Bridge (center). Mr. Bridge was the owner of KMHT radio station and was the first person to support Mrs. Kariel when she publicly stated the need for a public library.
Supporters who worked to realize a dream for a new Marshall Public Library were honored at a celebration dinner on October 19, 1973, two days before the official opening of the building. George Olincy, chairman of the Andrew Norman Foundation, speaks to the group at the Holiday Inn Motel. The Foundation gave a challenge grant to the Friends of a Public Library. Originally the offer was for $125, 000, but it grew to $175,000. To the right in the picture is Fenn Lewis, who chaired the successful fund drive for the Friends. Others are unidentified.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Days listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.