Photograph of Mr. Wilbur A. Turner, who taught the Drivers Training course at Pemberton High School in Marshall. The photo is from a school yearbook, either 1953-54 or 1964-65. Pemberton no longer exists as a separate campus. It was merged with Marshall High School in 1988.
To advertise that books were needed for the new public library building, students competed to make posters. The school class pictured was the winner, as this newspaper photo announced. The Marshall Public Library was completed in 1973 following widespread community support.
Potters Creek Cemetery is located in Harrison County. It is on the south side of Hwy 449 (Hynson Springs Rd.) across from Potters Creek Church. This is east of the village of Hallsville near Bailey Cutoff. As shown in the picture, one travels about 100 yards down a lane with a big gate. A vehicle, possibly a hearse, is in the lane with an unidentified man standing nearby. The roof of a structure is visible in the distance. No graves appear in the picture. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. According to its catalog, the oldest death date is 1883. The cemetery is still used and maintained.
The president's home at Bishop College in Marshall was formerly an antebellum plantation mansion called Wyalucing, located on a hilltop at the western end of Burleson Street. Constructed c1850, it was the home of the Holcombe family that moved to Marshall from Tennessee. A daughter, Lucy Petway Holcombe (1832-1899), married Col. Francis Wilkinson Pickens in the house. A lawyer and secessionist, he first became United States Ambassador to Russia and later the Confederate governor of South Carolina. Also a staunch supportor of the Southern cause, Mrs. Pickens was called "Lady Lucy, Queen of the Confederacy." Her likeness appears on certain Confederate currency, the only woman's image to do so. A historic marker at the corner of Hwy 80 and Bishop St. recognizes her. Wyalucing became the original building and centerpiece of Bishop College, which was established in 1881. Bishop relocated to Dallas in 1961. The house was razed during the 1970's to make way for a federal housing project.
The president's home at Bishop College in Marshall was formerly the plantation mansion "Wyalucing," built by the Holcomb family around 1850. A daughter of the family, Lucy Holcomb Pickens, became known as the "First Lady of the Confederacy" due to her support of the Confederate cause. The picture shows a mansion set on brick piers with a two-story columned portico on two sides. A balcony on the second floor in the middle bay on the left side is visible, and the two bays at left on the lower floor may be partially enclosed. A small windowed attachment at right may be a cold frame for plants. To the left of the house is a small outbuilding with a window. Two lamps stand in the lawn. In the foreground is a small pond or reservoir. A trimmed hedge, flower beds, and young trees complete the landscaping. The house sat on the east side of the Bishop campus, which was established in 1881. In 1961 the college moved to Dallas. None of the Marshall buildings remain, and the mansion itself was razed during the 1970's to make way for a federal housing project. The mansion is shown on early Sanborn maps as the president's home; but by 1931 it it was labeled "Music Hall."
Price T. Young School is located on Sanford St. in Marshall. It is within the historic New Town Neighborhood. It was named to honor an influential African-American educator who was the first principal there. It was originally named Pemberton Junior High School when it opened in 1964 to house seventh and eighth graders. In 1971, the two grades were separated when the eighth graders were moved to Marshall Junior High School, a twin campus in east Marshall. In 1975 PJHS was renamed Price T. Young. In 1981 both seventh and eighth grades were reunited and moved to another campus. At present Price T. Young is a middle school for fifth and sixth grades.
Mr. Garfield A. Rosborough was principal of Pemberton High School in Marshall from 1944 until 1972. He was born August 21, 1903 in Harrison County, where he was raised and educated. He received his teaching degree from Wiley College in Marshall with graduate work at the University of Colorado. His entire career was spent at the local high schools. During his administration of Pemberton, the curriculum and school plant were expanded. His total contribution to education spanned 48 years. The yearbook picture, possibly 1964, shows him seated at the PHS principal's desk. Below the photo is his annual message to the students.
A news item recognizes Pvt. Ronald Hearne for completing basic combat training at the United States Army Training Center, Fort Dix, N. J. Private Hearne was also selected as "Most Improved Trainee" of his platoon. A Marshall native, he graduated from Marshall High School in 1978 and entered the Army on June 20.
Bill Moyers waits to be introduced at a Marshall Public Library program during the nation's Bicentennial in 1976. Mr. Moyers, a favorite son of Marshall, Texas, returned to speak about the value of libraries to democracy.
This newspaper clipping, date unknown, gives a view of the railroad yards which were a major industry in Marshall. The several tracks and necessary buildings for building, repair, and other railroad jobs are in the middle and background. In the center a steam engine puffs along a track, pulling a coal car and boxcars. A light pole and switch mechanisms are also visible.
Rambo Funeral Home in Marshall has been serving the African-American community for decades. It is located at 622 S. Carter St., an address which places it in the "New Town Neighborhood" of west Marshall. New Town is a cluster of residences, businesses, professional offices, schools, and churches which developed by 1930 around Wiley College. It is currently of interest as a historical area to be preserved for local African-American history.
A reception at Marshall Public Library, c1973-1984, is shown. The event and persons are unidentified except for Miss Emma May Brotze, leaning over the table at center, and Maxie Key in the white gown at right.
Bill Moyers, second from left, talks with Harrison County residents who attended his speech at the Marshall Public Library during the United States Bicentennial in 1976. Mr. Moyers spoke on the value of libraries to democracy.
A reception for Bill Moyers was held at Marshall Public Library on one of his visits to his home town to speak at the library. Mr. Moyers, in a light gray suit, stands facing the circulation desk in conversation two other persons. No one else in the picture is identified.
Before audiocassttes, there were long-playing (LP) recordings on 12-inch vinyl disks. Marshall Public Library had a collection of them, primarily recordings of music, that were displayed from a wooden bin. Behind the bin are art prints that also circulated at the time, 1973-1990.
Rev. J. H. Hudson was a nineteen-century Baptist leader in Marshall. Born in Alabama in 1839, he came to Texas as a slave in 1848, and was reared on a farm near Scottsville (near Marshall). He never attended school, but was taught his letters and nurtured in his faith by other pastors. He was ordained in 1881. During his career he pastored St. Paul, Bethesda, Pine Bluff, Galilee, James Chapel and Gainesville Baptist churches. He was elected to the Texas legislature, but did not take his seat. He was active in the Texas and Louisiana Baptist Association.
A funeral service card for the Rev. Leslie R. Taylor, Harrison County spiritual leader. Details of his life are unknown except that his parents were Joseph P. Taylor and Frances Dickerson Taylor. His father was an educator for the county and owned a farm.
This picture of an African-American man lacks complete identification, but he was a leader in Harrison County. The name Scott is in the caption, and the letters Th B D. D. indicate theology degrees. His dress and the glasses suggest the late nineteenth or early twentieth century.
The Opening of the new Marshall Public Library was headlined in the Marshall News Messenger newspaper article shown here. Mrs. Bernice Gold Kranson, standing left, was assisted by Mrs. Jane Treister, standing right, in the ribbon-cutting. Other dignitaries and scouts attend. The opening was Sunday, October 21, 1973. The building has been in continual use as a library since that day.
A grave marked "Rice" in a Harrison County cemetery. Further identification of the grave and the cemetery is not available. The headstone has a cherub's head at the top right and a star at top left. A slab covers the grave, which is decorated with potted plants on each side.
A child selects books from the RIF distribution at Marshall Public Library. The library has participated in the national Reading Is Fundamental program since its beginning. A matching grant program, it provides elementary age children with free books. An important element is that the child selects books of his/her own choosing.
Marshall Public Library has participated in the Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) program since the 1970's. In this program, books are distributed free to children. The books are provided by matching grants.
Children select books at the RIF distribution which Marshall Public Library has hosted since the beginning. The Reading Is Fundamental program is a matching grant which provides free books to elementary-age children through public libraries. Children in the photo are unidentified.
This Marshall newspaper article of 1978 featured Robert High, who was named the "Outstanding Young Educator of the Year." At that time he was teaching earth science and coaching at Crockett Middle School in Paris. He was also elected to his 2nd term on the state board of directors of the Texas Classroom Teachers Association. A son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward High of Marshall, he was an honor graduate of Pemberton High School. He was married to Carol Washington, also from Marshall. They had three children: Donald, Donna, and Robert.
Mrs. Audrey Kariel, second from right. was congratulated for her role in the successful library building project with a spray of roses. She was the Projector Director for the drive to building the Marshall Public Library.
Mrs. Rosetta J. Randolph taught "Home and Family Life" classes at Pemberton High School in Marshall, according to this yearbook photograph. The yearbook may date from 1950-53 or 1964. No information is available about her life.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
Having trouble finding an option within the list of Years? Start typing and we'll update the list to show only those items that match your needs.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Days listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.