Port Arthur Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Arthur Macroni Radio Tower]

Description: Photograph of Arthur Marconi Radio Tower at Lamar State College. On each side of the tower, there are cut out shapes in the form of "LS." Buildings and trees surround the tower; one building is identified as the Ruby Ruth Fuller Building. Guglielmo Marconi patented wireless telegraphy, and was a close friend of John W. Gates. Marconi personally built and installed the fifty feet tall antenna mounted on top of the 130 feet tall tower. The tower is part of the National Register of Historic Places, and Ruby Ruth Fuller Building is a Texas Historic Landmark.
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph

[Gates Memorial Library]

Description: Photograph of a building identified as Gates Memorial Library, a National Register Historic Place. There are columns in the front of the building. In the foreground, there is a round courtyard with four flower beds and four flag poles with the American flag, Texas flag, and two unknown. A bust on a cement slab and a street light are in the center.
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph

[Lamar State College]

Description: Photograph of Lamar State College campus. In the foreground, there is a round courtyard with four flower beds and four flag poles with the American flag, Texas flag, and two unknown. In the background, there are buildings and a radio tower; one building is identified as Ruby Ruth Fuller Building, a recorded Texas Historic Landmark, and the tower is named Marconi Radio Tower, a National Register Historic Place.
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph

[Lamar State College]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of the Lamar State College theatre facilities. In front of the building, there are groups of people standing and walking on sidewalks. On the building above a set of doors, text says "Lamar Theater."
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph

[Thomas Jefferson High School Classes of 1943 55-Year Reunion]

Description: Book compiled for the 55th reunion of graduates from Thomas Jefferson High School in Port Arthur, Texas including photographs of students who graduated in January or May 1943 with contact information, as well as a schedule of events for the reunion and related information.
Date: 1998
Creator: Class of 1943 Reunion Committee
Item Type: Book

[Gulf Oil Refinery Office Building]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of a brick building identified as an old Gulf Oil Refinery office building, on west Seventh Street at Gulf Docks. The building is several stories high, and a sign near the building says "Chevron Port Arthur Refinery." In front of the building, there is a truck and a fence.
Date: December 8, 1993
Creator: Everett, James
Item Type: Photograph

[Queen of Vietnam Shrine]

Description: Photograph of the Queen of Vietnam Shrine on the 900 block of Ninth Avenue. The shrine consists of statue of a woman wearing robes with her hands outstretched while holding a rosary; there is a sacred heart symbol on her chest and a crown on her head. The statue is located under an Asian-style gazebo. A walkway leads to the shrine, and plants and a garden surround it. In the background, there are buildings. The shrine was built in 1986.
Date: 1989
Item Type: Photograph

[Whitehaven House]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of a building identified as Whitehaven, the home of Dr. and Mrs. H. D. Morris on 2545 Lakeshore Drive. The house is two stories high, and columns in the front reach the second story. Bushes and shrubs line the house. The house was built in 1915, and is now owned and operated by Lamar State College. Facilities were donated to the college by the Port Arthur Daughters of the American Revolution in 2000.
Date: 1988
Item Type: Photograph