Photograph of the marker for Fort Johnson in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Established by William G. Cooke in 1840 as a part of the defense of the military road from Red River to Austin, named in honor of Colonel Francis W. Johnson (1799-1888), commander of the Texas army at the capture of San Antonio, December 10, 1835. Place of rendezvous for the Snivley Expedition which set out April 25, 1843. The settlement in the vicinity was known as Georgetown.
Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for George R. Reeves (January 3, 1826 - September 5, 1882) in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Man for whom 2600-Sq. Mi. West Texas County was named. Born in Tennessee, married Jane Moore in 1844 in Arkansas, came to Texas about 1845, was Grayson County tax collector, 1848-1850; Sheriff, 1850-1854. Served as state representative, 1855-1861, commissioned Confederate Army officer, 1863, participant in Battle of Chickamauga and Hundred Days Atlanta Campaign. Returned to legislature, 1873, Speaker of the House, 1881-1882. Recorded - 1967.
Photograph of the marker for the Thompson House in Denison, Texas. Text: Built by Judge James G. Thompson in the early 1840's on the south bank of Red River at Preston Road. In 1942 it was bought by Ms. Nellie Chambers and moved east of Denison to save it from the advancing waters of the newly formed Lake Texoma. Upon her death, her heirs donated the home to the village. It was moved to its present location and restored in 1986.
Photograph of the marker for the Trading Post of Holland Coffee in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Established about 1837 for trade with the Indians of the Red River region and the Western Plains. Here many white captives of the red men were redeemed. From its vicinity, the Snively Expedition set out for New Mexico on April 25, 1843. Abandoned after Coffee's death in 1846. Erected by the State of Texas 1936.
Photograph of Allison Cemetery. There is a wire fence around the cemetery with a large sign that reads "Allison". There are several headstones visible in the cemetery and there are many trees near the headstones.
Photograph of Antioch Baptist Church, a one-story building with an angled roof over the entrance. On each side of the entrance are small benches and potted plants and in front of the name for the church is a large tree.
Photograph of the Austin College campus in Sherman, Texas. The photograph focuses on a square building with a parking lot beside it and trees and shrubs in front of it. The American and Texas flags are being flown in front of the building.
Photograph of the entrance to Barron Cemetery in Collinsville, Texas. The gate leading in is a short, simple chain link fence. A grave can be seen past the historical marker and trees and plants are overgrown in the cemetery.
Photograph of the Barron-Veazey House. The house is two stories with several windows. There is a large porch that goes around the first floor of the house. There are tall bushes outside the house and a wreath next to the front door.
Photograph of the front of Binion Homestead in Pilot Grove, Texas. The home is two-stories with an attic, and a balcony spans the second story of the house. American and Texas flags are mounted on the pillars at the front of the house.
Photograph of the former location of the Binkley Hotel in Sherman, Texas. The building has been converted into a Chase bank and there is a sign out front advertising for office space. It is a small, one-story building and has the logo for Chase near the entrance.
Photograph of the birthplace of Dwight D. Eisenhower in Denison, Texas. The building is two-stories with a balcony on the second floor that serves as a covering for the patio. The front door as a wreath with a red ribbon tied onto it and shrubs line the front of the patio.
Photograph of Cannon Cemetery. There is a sign that reads "Cannon Cemetery" with a white cross on top of the sign. There is a large tree in the cemetery and several headstones are visible. There are flowers on some of the headstones.
Photograph of the front of Carpenters Bluff Bridge in Denison, Texas. The bridge has metal railing and a gate across the front of it. There is a sign attached to it that reads: Weight limit 8 tons. The path to the left of the bridge has a metal archway over part of it.
Photograph of the front of the Central Christian Church in Sherman, Texas. The church is painted white and has blue stained-glass windows. There are a few stairs leading up to the entrances. The church's sign is at the foot of the steps.
Photograph of First United Methodist Church in Tom Bean. It is a large one-story brick building with a larger area in front for the sanctuary. There is a steeple with a cross at the top of it. There are wreaths on the door.
Photograph of City of Tom Bean. There is a metal building that reads "City of Tom Bean", but most prominent in the photograph are two brick signs that hold a Texas Historical Marker and another plaque.
Photograph of City of Tom Bean. A brick sign in front of a metal building reads "Tom Bean Est. 1887". A clock sits on top of the sign. Between the sign and the building there is a pole flying an American flag and a Texas flag.
Photograph of the front of the Civilian Conservative Corps in Denison, Texas. The one-story building has an awning, a green, slanted roof, and a ramp leading up to the patio. The sign by the building reads: Frontier Village.
Photograph of the front of Coffman Cemetery in Denison, Texas. Over the short, chain link fence that leads into the cemetery is a sign that reads: Coffman-Layne Cemetery. There are variety of grave markers, including an angel statue and headstones, and trees are scattered around the cemetery.
Photograph of the front of Cold Springs Log Cabin School in Denison, Texas. The cabin is small with a metal, slanted roof. On the bottom of the wall by the door are a snowman and Santa decorations. There is a short wooden fence in front of the house and a post by it that has a red hat attached to the top.
Photograph of Dannel Funeral Home in Sherman, Texas. The two-story building has a balcony and a covered pathway leading up to the entrance of the building. On either side of the stairs leading to the entrance, there are small statues of lions.
Photograph of Diamond Horse Ranch. This photograph is of a marker for the Diamond Station Butterfield Overland Mail Stage Stop at the Diamond Horse Ranch. It reads "The Diamond Station was a stop along the nearly 700 mile stretch across the Lone Star State for the Butterfield Overland Mail Stage Line Company. The Butterfield Overland Mail Company held the U.S. Mail contract for the first cross-country trek from St. Louis to San Francisco. marked as the first intercontinental mail route, the Butterfield Overland Mail Stagecoach made its first stop at the Diamond Station on September 21, 1858. The complete route took 24 days and covered 2, 812 miles, carrying mail and passengers. At this location Waterman Ormsby witnessed "the operations of harnessing a wild mule." He estimated it took thirty minutes per mule (four were used). The Diamond Station was kept by John R. diamond from 1858-1861.
Photograph of Elliot Cemetery. The Texas Historical Marker is visible in the picture. There are two gravestones visible - one of them is for the Elliot family and the other is partially blocked by the historical marker.
Photograph of Everheart-Canaan Cemetery. There is a wire fence surrounding the cemetery and a flag pole with an American flag in the foreground. There are several trees and headstones visible in the photograph, and the Texas Historical Marker for the cemetery is also visible.
Photograph of the welcome sign to Fink, Texas. Behind the welcome sign is another sign with an advertisement for boats. On the right side of the photograph is a two story motel with several pairs of doors lining the wall.
Photograph of First Baptist Church of Bells in Bells, Texas. The church is a one-story building with a slanted roof and small, stained-glass windows around the side. Two wreaths with red flowers are hanging on the doors at the church's entrance.
Photograph of First Christian Church in Van Alstyne. The church is a two-story brick building with several windows. There are stairs leading up to the entrance, and there are two white columns in front of the entrance. There is a marquee neat the entrance with two wreaths on it. Information for Christmas services is visible on the marquee.
Photograph of the First Christian Church of Howe in Howe, Texas. The church has steep roofs, and there is either a tower or steeple above the entrance. There are a few steps leading up to the entrance of the church.
Photograph of First Methodist Church of Whitewright. The church is a large, white one-story building with a two-story tower on the right side. There are two wreaths on the doors to the church. There is a manger scene set up outside the church.
Photograph of First Presbyterian Church. The church is a two-story brick building with stairs leading up to the door. There is a sign for First Presbyterian Church outside. There are two trees in front of the church.
Photograph of First United Methodist Church in Van Alstyne. The church is a large two-story brick building with many windows. There are four white columns out in front of the entrance. There is a marquee for the church in front of the building.