Private Collection of Carolyn West - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Grayson College]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Grayson College in Whitewright, Texas. Text: Original Campus Site. Founders: H.L. Piner - F.E. Butler, J.F. Anderson - J.L. Truett. Erected by Ex-students' association.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Fort Johnson]

Description: Photograph of the site of Fort Johnson in Pottsboro, Texas. The area is an empty field with a gate blocking a dirt path.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Grayson College]

Description: Photograph of the original site Grayson College. The site is now a field with two houses in the background. The historical marker is visible in the picture.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of George R. Reeves' Grave]

Description: Photograph of George R. Reeves' tombstone in Pottsboro, Texas. The tombstone reads: Honorable George R. Reeves, born January 3, 1826, died September 5, 1882. Aged 56 years 8 months & 2 days.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Grayson County]

Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Grayson County in Sherman, Texas. Text: In the mainstream of the Texas history for more than a century, this area was, in 1837, the site of Colonel Holland Coffee's Trading Post, a landmark structure at the Preston Bend Crossing of the Red River. It was a focal point beginning in 1842 for settlers of the important Peters Colony. In 1846 the county was created from part of Fannin County by the 1st State Legislature. It was named for Peter W. Grayson, who immigrated to Texas in 1830, served in the Texas Revolution, and was attorney general in the Republic. Also in 1848 the county was organized and Sherman was made county seat. The original town site was 5 1/4 mi. W. of here. It was moved to its present location, 1848. Honoree of the town name was Colonel Sidney Sherman, a hero of the Battle of San Jacinto. The place is distinguished for having had at least five courthouses and for its superior schools of the 19th century. It was once known as the "Athens of Texas". In 1858 the famous Butterfield Trail crossed the county and in the same period and later, a number of cattle trails and early railroads traversed the area. Today Lake Texoma, created 1939-1944, is a county tourist attraction. The Sherman-Denison region was named a standard metropolitan statistical area, 1967. (1969)
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Grayson Bible Baptist Church]

Description: Photograph of Grayson Bible Baptist Church in Sherman, Texas. The building has one story, and there is a black tower at the front of the church with three white, large crosses on top of it. On either side of the tower is a covered entrance.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Marker: George R. Reeves]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for George R. Reeves (January 3, 1826 - September 5, 1882) in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Man for whom 2600-Sq. Mi. West Texas County was named. Born in Tennessee, married Jane Moore in 1844 in Arkansas, came to Texas about 1845, was Grayson County tax collector, 1848-1850; Sheriff, 1850-1854. Served as state representative, 1855-1861, commissioned Confederate Army officer, 1863, participant in Battle of Chickamauga and Hundred Days Atlanta Campaign. Returned to legislature, 1873, Speaker of the House, 1881-1882. Recorded - 1967.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Old Sherman Opera House]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Site of Old Sherman Opera House in Sherman, Texas. Text: Formerly a 3-story Victoria structure with twin cupolas. Built by Capt. L.F. Ely, who made the bricks in his city factory. Lavish interior had carpeted aisles, Damask curtains and red plush seats. Benches in economy section were called the "buzzard roost". From its completion (1881) until closing (1918), it helped make Sherman a cultural center. First show was operetta "The Mikado". Also given here were Shakespearean plays, musical reviews, temperance lectures and trained animal acts. Remodeled (1961) for commercial use. Original bricks remain.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Old Bass Home]

Description: Photograph of Old Bass Home in Denison, Texas. The two-story building is white with a balcony above the front door. The windows are tall and narrow and there are short shrubs along the front of the house.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Old Bass Home]

Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for the Old Bass Home in Denison, Texas. Text: Oldest extant house in city. Erected in 1850's, by Dr. R.L. Bullock. Built around typical "dog run" or entry hall. Had first window glass in county. Family home of Confederate Col. T.C. Bass since 1867. His daughter Netti, born here 1868, lived in home 97 years. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1968.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Old Town of Cannon]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Old Town of Cannon in Van Alstyne, Texas. Text: Founded 1852 by Elijah Cannon, who came from South Caroline with his children and slaves to develop 700 acres of land. Family established a church, cotton gin, grist mill, wagon factory. By 1885 town had an academy and 400 people. Bypassed by Houston & Texas Central Railroad, it declined rapidly in the 1890s.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Odd Fellows Hall]

Description: Photograph of Odd Fellows Hall in Sherman, Texas. White plastered stone covers the front of the building, with a recessed door visible near a Texas Historical Marker. A sign hangs off of the building advertising the lodge.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Old Town of Cannon]

Description: Photograph of Old Town of Cannon. The Texas Historical Marker is visible in the picture. It is a large grassy area with several trees on the side.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Old Sherman Public Library]

Description: Photograph of Old Sherman Public Library in Sherman, Texas. The brick building has a stairway bifurcated by a dark metal handrail that leads up to the double doors. Stone columns on either side of the doorway rise up to a stone pediment above. Windows on the main floor are framed in white. A lower floor is visible behind a hedgerow. This lower portion of the building is not brick, but white stone. The building currently houses the Sherman Museum.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Olive Ann Oatman Fairchild]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Olive Ann Oatman Fairchild (1837-1903) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Captured in Arizona at age 13 (1851) by Yavapai Indians, who massacred 6 members of family. Sold to Mojave Indians, she was treated kindly but bore mark of a slave - blue, cactus needle tattoo on skin - for rest of life. Ransomed by Army at Fort Yuma, 1856. Lived in California, then New York. There she married J. B. Fairchild in 1865. About 1872 moved to Sherman, where husband founded city bank. Resided in Sherman until death in 1903.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Old Sherman Opera House]

Description: Photograph of the Old Sherman Opera House in Sherman, Texas. Columns of brick support the upper floors of the structure, with glass windows and doorways visible in between. Furniture, rugs, and a hardwood floor are visible through the windows.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Old Sherman Public Library]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Old Sherman Public Library in Sherman, Texas. Text: A subscription library was established in Sherman in 1901 and housed in a rented room. In 1911, the city submitted a request to the Andrew Carnegie Foundation and received $20,000 for a library. This lot was purchased in 1912 for $2500 and plans were drawn for a structure of simplified Beaux-Arts styling by local architect John Tullock (1860-1947). The building served as a library from 1915 until 1973. Of note are the three interior murals, completed in 1934. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -- 1986. Entered in the National Register of Historic Places -- 1990.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Grayson Bible Baptist Church]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Grayson Bible Baptist Church in Sherman, Texas. Text: On the evening of Monday, June 22, 1931, John R. Rice began a revival service on the Grayson County Courthouse Square. The revival took place where the 1870s courthouse had stood. That building was burned to the ground in May 1930 during mob violence that caused the death of an African American man who had been accused of a crime. Businesses and homes of African American residents were also destroyed. The revival's location - in the center of Sherman - was a perfect one. Large crowds of people attended, and the revival lasted for over a month. When rice asked attendees to present themselves to organize a new church, forty people answered the call, and on July 16, 1931, the fundamentalist Baptist Church was organized. On the evening of July 28, a tank was constructed on the courthouse lawn and a baptismal service was conducted. The congregation soon built a tabernacle at the corner of south Montgomery and East Cherry, and the first service in the building was held on Sunday, September 12, 1931. The church has changed locations several times through the years, and the current structure was constructed in 2004 on East Highway 82. During the late 1940s the church's name changed to Central Baptist Church, and again changed in 1973 to Grayson Bible Baptist Church. The church has actively supported mission work and outreach. During the 1950s a church bus was sent to nearby Perrin Air Force Base to bring soldiers to church services. Grayson Christian Academy was established in 1973 as an outreach ministry of the church. Marker is property of the state of Texas. (2009)
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of First United Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of First United Methodist Church in Sherman, Texas. The church has large pillars supporting an awning. There is a steeple with a small cross at the top of it.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: 1924 Masonic Temple]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for 1924 Masonic Temple in Sherman, Texas. Text: Travis Lodge No. 117, A.F. & A.M., was chartered in 1852. This site was acquired in 1916, although this classical revival temple was not built until 1924. Designed by local architects John Tulloch and the firm of Clyce & Rolfe, the building features giant order columns and portico, fifteen over fifteen windows, and a segmental arch entry pediment. It remained the headquarters for the masonic lodge until 1985.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Mary Florence Cowell]

Description: Photograph of Mary Florence Cowell's house. The house is a one-story white house with red trim and shutters. There is a screened-in porch at the front of the house.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Merchants and Planters National Bank]

Description: Photograph of Merchants and Planters National Bank, now inhabited by Chase Bank. This is a multistoried stone structure with its windows arranged in sets of twos and threes in the floors above the entryway. A Texas Historical Marker is visible upon the ground floor wall.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Mary Florence Cowell]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Mary Florence Cowell (November 10, 1860 - July 13, 1940) in Whitesboro, Texas. Text: Mary Florence (Tinsman) Cowell and her husband S. B. Cowell came to Texas from Missouri in 1900. Mrs. Cowell was a member of the P.E.O. Sisterhood, a philanthropic educational organization founded in 1869 at Wesleyan College in Iowa and dedicated to educational opportunities for women. Her friend Dora Hallock, P.E.O. Supreme Chapter Organizer, visited Whitesboro in 1902. Together they organized Chapter A, the first P.E.O chapter in Texas, in the Cowell home on this site. Mary Florence Cowell was elected president of Chapter A and was instrumental in the organization of the Texas State chapter of the P.E.O. in Whitesboro in 1928. Elected the first Texas State president of the organization, she eventually became known as "the mothers of P.E.O. in Texas."
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie