Private Collection of Carolyn West - 316 Matching Results

Search Results

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: 1924 Masonic Temple]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for 1924 Masonic Temple in Sherman, Texas. Text: Travis Lodge No. 117, A.F. & A.M., was chartered in 1852. This site was acquired in 1916, although this classical revival temple was not built until 1924. Designed by local architects John Tulloch and the firm of Clyce & Rolfe, the building features giant order columns and portico, fifteen over fifteen windows, and a segmental arch entry pediment. It remained the headquarters for the masonic lodge until 1985.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Mary Florence Cowell]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Mary Florence Cowell (November 10, 1860 - July 13, 1940) in Whitesboro, Texas. Text: Mary Florence (Tinsman) Cowell and her husband S. B. Cowell came to Texas from Missouri in 1900. Mrs. Cowell was a member of the P.E.O. Sisterhood, a philanthropic educational organization founded in 1869 at Wesleyan College in Iowa and dedicated to educational opportunities for women. Her friend Dora Hallock, P.E.O. Supreme Chapter Organizer, visited Whitesboro in 1902. Together they organized Chapter A, the first P.E.O chapter in Texas, in the Cowell home on this site. Mary Florence Cowell was elected president of Chapter A and was instrumental in the organization of the Texas State chapter of the P.E.O. in Whitesboro in 1928. Elected the first Texas State president of the organization, she eventually became known as "the mothers of P.E.O. in Texas."
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Metz House]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Metz House in Sherman, Texas. Text: Edward Metz (1854-1913) came to Texas from Michigan as a young man to join his brother, Charles, in a leather goods business. In the 1870s, they built a profitable trade, buying buffalo hides and other furs from Indian tribes in Oklahoma to sell to eastern markets. Metz is credited with helping keep peace between the Indians and settlers in Grayson County. In 1883 he built this house, with Victorian fish scale siding, as a present for his bride, Lillian (Craycroft). Occupied from 1909 to 1939 by prominent local physician Dr. J. D. Meadow, it was restored in 1975-76 by Byron Rice (b. 1957).
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Mattie Davis Lucas]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Mattie Davis Lucas (January 12, 1869 - October 27, 1936) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Martha Ora "Mattie" Davis was born in Mississippi and moved to Texas as an infant. She earned a teaching certificate in 1884, and in 1889 married William H. Lucas. Active in civic organizations and women's clubs, Mattie spearheaded many civic improvements in Grayson County, including the establishment of a Carnegie Library, home front war work, and the collection and preservation of local history. Her efforts to commemorate the Texas Centennial resulted in the placement of several historical markers. She co-authored the first history of Grayson County, published just days after her death in 1936.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Metz House]

Description: Photograph of Metz House in Sherman, Texas. Largely obscured by the foliage of a tree, what is visible is a two story wooden building with greenish blue siding, darker blue trim, and posts with flaking white paint. Rocking chairs sit along the front porch of the building. In the foreground, the rounded top of a metal fence is visible.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Merchants and Planters National Bank]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Merchants and Planters National Bank in Sherman, Texas. Text: One of the oldest banks in North Texas. Replaced Sherman's "Pecan Tree Bank"; for 22 years traders hung saddlebags filled with gold on tree's branches. Bank was founded in 1872 with $150,000 capital when city was 26 years old. Promoted growth of Sherman and was hub of North Texas area and Indian Territory serving ranchers, farmers, traders. Became National Bank in 1884. First president was C. C. Binkley; first directors, J. P. Dumas, Silas Hare, Sr., J. M. Lindsay, J. H. Slater, G. Van Winkle, C. A. Andrews.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Hendrix Cemetery]

Description: Photograph of Hendrix Cemetery in Sherman, Texas. The area has no visible grave markers and is overgrown with trees and plants. A wire fence with an entrance constructed of wooden posts demarcates the area. There is a ruined sign above the entrance.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Andrew Hanson]

Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Andrew Hanson in Sherman, Texas. Text: Owned Sherman's first bakery for 35 years. Born in Schleswigholstein, Denmark. Came to United States, 1872, and to Texas, 1878. With F.W. Boedeker (whose interest he soon bought) started the Star Bakery, 1879. Had first delivery service, first commercially made ice cream in town. Built family residence at two midtown sites. Married (1880) Anna Lundorf; had 4 children. His father, mother, and brothers came from Denmark to join him. All are buried here. Recorded - 1972.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Hall Furniture Building]

Description: Photograph of Hall Furniture Building in Sherman, Texas. It is a multistory building with Christmas decorations in the windows. In the large window on the first floor it reads "Antiques Visitor Center." There is a sign for the Hall Furniture Company on the wall and an electronic sign for the Antiques Visitor Center.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Hopewell Baptist Church]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Hopewell Baptist Church in Denison, Texas. Text: In 1874 this church was founded to serve the black community of this growing railroad town. Ministers from several Baptist churches in the county helped organize the new fellowship some of the charter members transferred from St. John Baptist church in Preston Bend. In 1877 fire destroyed the congregation's first meeting place. A frame building erected at this site was replaced in 1891 by a brick edifice. The present church was begun in 1915. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall spoke here in 1950. When Hopewell was host to the NAACP Regional Convention.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Hendrix Cemetery]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Hendrix Cemetery in Sherman, Texas. Text: A native of North Carolina, John Hendrix (1798-1893) came to Texas in 1846 with his wife, Ruth (Stradef) (1804-1882), their children, and seven other families. Their first camp in the area is marked by a large boulder in this cemetery. Hendrix ran successful farming and nursery operations and became a prominent and influential citizen of Grayson County. Shortly after his arrival, Hendrix established this cemetery, located on land he acquired after his settlement here. The one-acre burial ground eventually was deeded to Grayson County. The first known burial, that of the infant son of M. and D. Perdue, took place in 1848. John and Ruth Hendrix are buried here as is their son Josiah Tompkins and daughter Nancy Hendricks Jennings. There are approximately forty-five marked graves in the Hendrix Cemetery, many date from the last half of the nineteenth century and some display illegible inscriptions. An unmarked section in the Northwest corner of the graveyard was reserved for slave burials. Used for more than one hundred years by Hendrix family relatives and descendants. Close friends and associates, the cemetery is a significant reminder of early Grayson County history.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Marker: Trading Post of Holland Coffee]

Description: Photograph of the marker for the Trading Post of Holland Coffee in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Established about 1837 for trade with the Indians of the Red River region and the Western Plains. Here many white captives of the red men were redeemed. From its vicinity, the Snively Expedition set out for New Mexico on April 25, 1843. Abandoned after Coffee's death in 1846. Erected by the State of Texas 1936.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga United Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Tioga United Methodist Church in Tioga, Texas. Text: Services began in homes of the Shiloh community, two miles to the east of here. In 1887, the worshipers organized the Shiloh Methodist Church, with the Rev. Mr. Allen as pastor. After Tioga was founded, the congregation moved here and erected original building on this site in 1893. Additional rooms and facilities have since been added to the central structure. This church has faithfully served Tioga. One of its members, Olan R. Van Zandt, was a representative, then senator, in the Texas legislature for 16 years, 1926-1942.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: St. Patrick's Catholic Church]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Denison, Texas. Text: St. Patrick's parish was founded in 1872 by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Galveston, Claude Dubuis. The first church building at this site, designed by noted architect Nicholas J. Clayton, was completed in 1898. Destroyed by fire in 1911, the structure was rebuilt, incorporating much of Clayton's original design into the new facade. Completed in 1914, the Gothic revival building features fine patterned brickwork and lancet arches. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1983.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie