Private Collection of Carolyn West - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga United Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Tioga United Methodist Church in Tioga, Texas. Text: Services began in homes of the Shiloh community, two miles to the east of here. In 1887, the worshipers organized the Shiloh Methodist Church, with the Rev. Mr. Allen as pastor. After Tioga was founded, the congregation moved here and erected original building on this site in 1893. Additional rooms and facilities have since been added to the central structure. This church has faithfully served Tioga. One of its members, Olan R. Van Zandt, was a representative, then senator, in the Texas legislature for 16 years, 1926-1942.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of Terrell High School]

Description: Photograph of Terrell High School in Denison, Texas. The field is empty with a chain link fence surrounding it and buildings can be seen in the distance.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: St. Patrick's Catholic Church]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Denison, Texas. Text: St. Patrick's parish was founded in 1872 by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Galveston, Claude Dubuis. The first church building at this site, designed by noted architect Nicholas J. Clayton, was completed in 1898. Destroyed by fire in 1911, the structure was rebuilt, incorporating much of Clayton's original design into the new facade. Completed in 1914, the Gothic revival building features fine patterned brickwork and lancet arches. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1983.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of St. Mary's Catholic Church]

Description: Photograph of St. Mary's Catholic Church. It is a large brick building. The middle of the building is tall because of the bell tower. There are many stained glass windows. There is a sign outside for Saint Mary's Catholic Church.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of Home of Thomas V. Munson]

Description: Photograph of the home of Thomas V. Munson to Denison, Texas. The two-story house has narrow windows with shutters. There is a fence around the yard and a paved path leading to the entrance and around the house. There a sign out front that reads: Vinita 1887. Thomas Volney Munson historic home.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: St. Mary's Catholic Church]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for St. Mary's Catholic Church in Sherman, Texas. Text: The first recorded mass in Sherman took place in 1872, and three years later Bishop Claude Dubuis of the Diocese of Galveston created a parish here and sent the Rev. Louis Granger to serve as first pastor. A wooden chapel housed worship services until this church's building was completed in 1906. St. Mary's is an excellent example of the work of noted Galveston architect Nicholas Clayton, who included Gothic and Romanesque elements in his design. Built by contractor William Cornish & Sons, the church is a significant part of Sherman's architectural heritage.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Marker: Thompson House]

Description: Photograph of the marker for the Thompson House in Denison, Texas. Text: Built by Judge James G. Thompson in the early 1840's on the south bank of Red River at Preston Road. In 1942 it was bought by Ms. Nellie Chambers and moved east of Denison to save it from the advancing waters of the newly formed Lake Texoma. Upon her death, her heirs donated the home to the village. It was moved to its present location and restored in 1986.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Terrell High School]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Terrell High School in Denison, Texas. Text: Churches and private schools provided early education training for African American students in Denison until 1886, when Anderson Public High School opened at 530 W. Bond Street. To meet the need for improved and centralized facilities, district trustees opened a new school at this site in 1927. William R. Wims served as the first principal for Terrell School, named in honor of Augustus H. Terrell (d. 1929), noted educator, respected civic leader and first principal of Anderson High. The original school building served all grades and included four classrooms and a small auditorium. Prominent principals Wims, Mason S. Frazier and Evans Tyree Hardeman directed the school's expansion in its formative years to serve a growing community and provide increased educational opportunities. Early teachers received low salaries, but in 1946 Sammye Taylor Savage, elementary teacher at Terrell, successfully sued for pay equalization throughout the district. Terrell students set high standards in academics, the arts and athletics. The school produced many accomplished civic, business, and professional leaders, as well as performing artists and athletes. The winning traditions of Terrell's maroon and white Dragons, including state football championships in the 1940s, were a source of community pride and identity. With the implementation of integration came the close of Terrell High School, and the last class graduated in May 1967. Later used for middle and elementary school classes, the campus was razed in 2000, the year a new Terrell Elementary School opened nearby (200 yds. se). Today, the history of the high school, in existence for forty years, continues to live on in the Terrell name and in the memories of its alumni.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of Thompson House #1]

Description: Photograph of information for Thompson House in Denison, Texas. Text: The James G. Thompson house was moved to Grayson County Frontier Village in 1990 having been moved from Nellie Chambers property on PawPaw Hill east of Denison. Mrs. Chambers moved the house to her property from Preston Bend but never got the whole structure. Thompson, Grayson County's first County Judge, also served as postmaster. Thompson being a cabinet maker, with the help of his family and possible slaves, built the "log frame" home using white oak logs. A wide hall in the center of the house leads to a back porch with small rooms on each end. One room served as a kitchen and the other Judge Thompson's office and post office. The hall gives the house the impression of a dog trot. It is noted that perhaps transients along the Thompson Ferry Road might have slept in the post office room without being taken into the family quarters.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Home of Thomas V. Munson]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Home of Thomas V. Munson (1843-1913) in Denison, Texas. Text: World famed grape culturist. Earned second degree ever given at Kentucky A.&M. College (1870). Moved to Denison 1876; became a civic leader and had nurseries for wide varieties of plants. In 1880's helped France save vineyards from root disease, and became second American ever named to French Legion of Honor. His scientific papers filed in Washington, D.C., are still used by horticulturists. He and his wife built this home 1887. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1967.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of St. Patrick's Church]

Description: Photograph of St. Patrick's Church in Denison, Texas. The church has large stained glass windows on the front and the center of the building has a tall tower with a cross at the top. The doorway is in an arched design and there is a short stairway leading to the door.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: First Presbyterian Church and Manse]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for First Presbyterian Church and Manse in Whitewright, Texas. Text: On October 30, 1853, a Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in the home of Christopher Sears in nearby Lick Skillet (Pilot Grove). J. A. Zinn served as moderator, and T.E. Montgomery, J.D. Barbee, and J.T. Clark as first elders. The church established the Canaan and Sears Chapel congregations in the 1860s. Sears Chapel moved to Whitewright in 1883, built a sanctuary in 1899, and became First Presbyterian Church in 1907. This classical revival church building, erected by the congregation in 1930, features art glass windows and doors. The adjacent manse has provided housing for pastors since 1902.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of First Methodist Church of Whitewright]

Description: Photograph of First Methodist Church of Whitewright. The church is a large, white one-story building with a two-story tower on the right side. There are two wreaths on the doors to the church. There is a manger scene set up outside the church.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: First Methodist Church of Whitewright]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for First Methodist Church of Whitewright in Whitewright, Texas. Text: This congregation traces its history to Sears Chapel (one mile southeast), a union church established in the late 1850s at the home of early settlers Christopher and Mary Sears. In 1876 the Sears family deeded the land on which the Sears Chapel Church building stood to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The village of Whitewright was established in 1878. The Methodist congregation associated with Sears Chapel organized the First Methodist Church of Whitewright in 1882. By 1885 the congregation had completed a sanctuary and a parsonage and was served by the Rev. W. M. Robbins, a circuit-riding Methodist preacher. A Sunday school, organized in 1886, averaged about 50 pupils during its early years of operation. A new sanctuary, built at this site in 1895, served the congregation for over 100 years. A new parsonage was completed in 1930, and in 1942 the church erected an education building. Major renovations to the church and education buildings were completed in 1979. The church, renamed First United Methodist Church in 1968, supports a variety of special annual events and continues to be active in many local and foreign outreach programs.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: First United Methodist Church of Van Alstyne]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for First United Methodist Church of Van Alstyne in Van Alstyne, Texas. Text: Outgrowth of Liberty Class, formed 1847 for bible study and worship, in log cabin of Jim Creager (1.25 mi. s.) by the Rev. Joab Biggs, of the Dallas Methodist circuit, and M.F. Cole. In 1855, after a rainstorm that detained quarterly conference delegates to listen to an all-night sermon, the Rev. Y.S. McKinney preached for three weeks and had 60 conversions. The enlarged class moved to Mantua, where it built a frame chapel on the town square and was renamed Mt. Zion Methodist Church. At founding of Van Alstyne on Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1873, Mt. Zion moved its building into town, to a site now in Van Alstyne Cemetery. By 1890 membership exceeded 400. The congregation in 1893 moved again, erecting a larger building at Waco and Jefferson Streets, and changing name to First Methodist Church. In this sanctuary in 1894 there was organized the first district Epworth League of the Southern Methodist Church. Here in 1912 ex-President Theodore Roosevelt gave an address, and in 1917 one of Texas' earliest Boy Scout Troops was formed. Present sanctuary was completed and dedicated in 1917, with dedicatory sermon given by the Rev. Sam R. Hay. The present name was given after a National Ecumenical Accord was reached in 1968.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of First Christian Church]

Description: Photograph of First Christian Church in Van Alstyne. The church is a two-story brick building with several windows. There are stairs leading up to the entrance, and there are two white columns in front of the entrance. There is a marquee neat the entrance with two wreaths on it. Information for Christmas services is visible on the marquee.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of First United Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of First United Methodist Church in Van Alstyne. The church is a large two-story brick building with many windows. There are four white columns out in front of the entrance. There is a marquee for the church in front of the building.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of City of First United Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of First United Methodist Church in Tom Bean. It is a large one-story brick building with a larger area in front for the sanctuary. There is a steeple with a cross at the top of it. There are wreaths on the door.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: The Fitzgerald Home]

Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for the Fitzgerald Home in Denison, Texas. Text: Build on 800-acre farm near Bells by Geo. S. Fitzgerald. Who moved with family from Virginia to Texas in 1857. He cut building timber on his farm in 1859. On return from Confederate Army he erected this house in 1866. He was prosperous and esteemed, serving as a Grayson County commissioner from 1880 to 1884. House was framed of pegged oak logs. Main rooms are 20 by 20 feet, joined by 12-foot hall. Two stairs lead to upper story. Recorded Texas historic landmark - 1969.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of First Presbyterian Church and Manse]

Description: Photograph of First Presbyterian Church. The church is a two-story brick building with stairs leading up to the door. There is a sign for First Presbyterian Church outside. There are two trees in front of the church.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: First United Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for First United Methodist Church in Tom Bean, Texas. Text: This congregation was organized in the mid-1880s, growing out of Brush Arbor meetings at the Cedar campground near Whitemound. The original church building at Whitemound was moved, in 1906, to Tom Bean, where it burned in 1924. Methodists worshiped in the Presbyterian church until it was destroyed by a tornado a short time later. A new edifice was built, serving both denominations until 1972. In 1974, the sanctuary was moved here, and the heritage of the Old Perrin Air Force Base Chapel was preserved when it was added to the facility.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Mame Roberts]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Mame Roberts (August 19, 1883 - December 24, 1976) in Howe, Texas. Text: The daughter of James M. and Martha Sue (Baxter) Roberts, Mame Roberts lived her entire life in or near the community of Howe. Largely self-taught, she worked as a substitute teacher in the lower grades at the Howe public schools in the early 1900s before turning to her life's work-promoting civic improvements and beautification. As the writer of a weekly column in the Howe Messenger, Mame Roberts promoted her hometown and encouraged its beautification. Her campaign to make Howe the "Prettiest Little Town in Texas" motivated other small Texas towns to take similar action. A series of articles in the Dallas Morning News provided step-by-step instructions for carrying out beautification efforts, and she was in great demand as a speaker at garden club gatherings throughout this part of the state. Mame's work attracted the attention of Life magazine and Reader's Digest, and she was named "Woman of the Day" on May 14, 1949, on Eleanor and Anna Roosevelt's National Radio Program. Her leadership positions included: President of the Grayson County Federation of Women's Club; President of the Texoma Redbud Association, which urged the planting of Redbuds along highways in Texas and Oklahoma; and founder and president of the Howe Sesame Club. Her work, which spanned the decades before and after World War II, is a significant part of the civic history of Howe and of all the towns that put her lessons into action.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of Lyon House]

Description: Photograph of Lyon House in Sherman, Texas. It is a three story Victorian style house of carved wood that has been painted white and trimmed with a dark red color. A brick stairway leads up to the door that sits under a columned arch. A shorter, rounded tower protrudes upward to the right of the arch. A Texas Historical Marker sits on the lawn in front of the building.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Lyon House]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Lyon House in Sherman, Texas. Text: Built before 1897, this Victorian house was designed by German-born John Tollouch and occupied by hardware merchant George E. Hardwicke (1855-1923) until 1899. The property was purchased in 1902 by Dupont Lyon (1876-1946). Then an officer in the U.S. Army. He became a dairy farmer and lumberman after settling here, and served as Mayor of Sherman (1913-15). Lyon joined the army again in World War I and attained the rank of Major before retiring in 1932. In the 1930s, Lyon made minor repairs and additions to the house. It was purchased and restored in 1974 by Robert J. Tate.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Item Type: Photograph