Private Collection of Carolyn West - 315 Matching Results

Search Results

[Photograph of Hagerman]

Description: Photograph of where Hagerman used to be in Pottsboro, Texas. There is an empty field with tall grass and trees in the distance.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Hall Cemetery]

Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Hall Cemetery in Howe, Texas. Text: Located on land patented by Anderson White (1801-85), on certificate issued April 23, 1850, by Peters Colony, an immigration project which had received a large land grant in this region from the Republic of Texas. Burial plot was begun Jan. 6, 1857, upon the death of White's daughter, Sarah White Haning, wife of Aaron Haning. One week later, on Jan. 13, a second grave was added, that of Haning's mother, Rachel Pierce Haning. In June 1857, White sold his land in the area, but reserved 2 acres surrounding the burial site, deeded April 1859 to trustees for a public cemetery. Named for Benjamin F. Hall (1803-73), pioneer minister of the Disciples of Christ, doctor, dentist, and lawyer, who owned the white property from 1857 to 1872, and founded several churches in the region. Among those buried here are the first settlers of this part of Grayson County, who migrated to Texas from the Eastern United States, a number of veterans of the army of the Confederate States of America: and several rural victims of the Great Sherman Tornado of May 15, 1896. Subsequent donations of land by J. D. Barnett and Lee Bivins increased the cemetery to present size by 1918.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Hall Cemetery]

Description: Photograph of Hall Cemetery in Howe, Texas. The gate to the cemetery is open and there is a paced road going through it. On either side are grave markers and trees.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Hall Furniture Building]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Hall Furniture Building in Sherman, Texas. Text: Former Missourian and Civil War veteran Rufus Gaines Hall established a Sherman Dry Goods Store in 1868. The company prospered, in part because it sent 30 notion wagons to sell supplies to settlers on rural farms across 13 counties in North Texas. Hall's son, Dr. Hugh Logan Hall, joined the firm in 1872. In 1892, Dr. Hall and his father bought this property. Five generations of Halls maintained the growing business in this location for a century. Originally two buildings, the west side of the business was built in 1876 and the other in 1885; the buildings were united in 1936. A noteworthy example of an art deco commercial building, its asymmetrical facade features the bold use of bands of structural glass with black and ivory chevron stripes. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2002.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Hall Furniture Building]

Description: Photograph of Hall Furniture Building in Sherman, Texas. It is a multistory building with Christmas decorations in the windows. In the large window on the first floor it reads "Antiques Visitor Center." There is a sign for the Hall Furniture Company on the wall and an electronic sign for the Antiques Visitor Center.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Andrew Hanson]

Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Andrew Hanson in Sherman, Texas. Text: Owned Sherman's first bakery for 35 years. Born in Schleswigholstein, Denmark. Came to United States, 1872, and to Texas, 1878. With F.W. Boedeker (whose interest he soon bought) started the Star Bakery, 1879. Had first delivery service, first commercially made ice cream in town. Built family residence at two midtown sites. Married (1880) Anna Lundorf; had 4 children. His father, mother, and brothers came from Denmark to join him. All are buried here. Recorded - 1972.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Andrew Hanson's Grave]

Description: Photograph of Andrew Hanson and his wife's, Anna's, tombstone in Sherman, Texas. Andrew was born in 1855 and died in 1940 and Anna was born in 1855 and died in 1915.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Andrew Hanson's Historical Marker]

Description: Photograph of Andrew Hanson's historical marker in Sherman, Texas. The plaque is on a stone column and is located in a cemetery. Behind the column is the path that goes through the cemetery.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Hendrix Cemetery]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Hendrix Cemetery in Sherman, Texas. Text: A native of North Carolina, John Hendrix (1798-1893) came to Texas in 1846 with his wife, Ruth (Stradef) (1804-1882), their children, and seven other families. Their first camp in the area is marked by a large boulder in this cemetery. Hendrix ran successful farming and nursery operations and became a prominent and influential citizen of Grayson County. Shortly after his arrival, Hendrix established this cemetery, located on land he acquired after his settlement here. The one-acre burial ground eventually was deeded to Grayson County. The first known burial, that of the infant son of M. and D. Perdue, took place in 1848. John and Ruth Hendrix are buried here as is their son Josiah Tompkins and daughter Nancy Hendricks Jennings. There are approximately forty-five marked graves in the Hendrix Cemetery, many date from the last half of the nineteenth century and some display illegible inscriptions. An unmarked section in the Northwest corner of the graveyard was reserved for slave burials. Used for more than one hundred years by Hendrix family relatives and descendants. Close friends and associates, the cemetery is a significant reminder of early Grayson County history.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Hendrix Cemetery]

Description: Photograph of Hendrix Cemetery in Sherman, Texas. The area has no visible grave markers and is overgrown with trees and plants. A wire fence with an entrance constructed of wooden posts demarcates the area. There is a ruined sign above the entrance.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Hiram Lodge No. 433, A.F. & A.M.]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Hiram Lodge No. 433, A.F. & A.M. in Collinsville, Texas. Text: Chartered on June 7, 1875, Hiram Lodge first met in a building on the original Collinsville town square. Since 1881, when that building burned, the organization has met in six locations and shared facilities with local businesses and a school. In 1881, when the Texas & Pacific Railroad came through the area, Hiram Lodge, along with most of the town, relocated to be near the railroad tracks. Civic activities have included aid to Masonic widows and orphans, support of war bonds, and assistance to schools and the Scottish Rite Hospital for crippled children.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Hiram Lodge No. 433, A.F. & A.M.]

Description: Photograph of a side view of Hiram Lodge No. 433, A.F. & A.M in Collinsville, Texas. The front of the buildings is made of stone. On the sidewalk is a sign for the lodge.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Hopewell Baptist Church]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Hopewell Baptist Church in Denison, Texas. Text: In 1874 this church was founded to serve the black community of this growing railroad town. Ministers from several Baptist churches in the county helped organize the new fellowship some of the charter members transferred from St. John Baptist church in Preston Bend. In 1877 fire destroyed the congregation's first meeting place. A frame building erected at this site was replaced in 1891 by a brick edifice. The present church was begun in 1915. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall spoke here in 1950. When Hopewell was host to the NAACP Regional Convention.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Hopewell Baptist Church #1]

Description: Photograph of Hopewell Baptist Church in Denison, Texas. The historical marker for the site is set in stone. A black bell rests besides it with a sign above it reading: Terrell-Griggs-Marshall Legacy Park. In the background, playground equipment can be seen.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Hopewell Baptist Church #2]

Description: Photograph of the front of Hopewell Baptist Church in Denison, Texas. The church is a one-story building with a slanted roof. There is a white, narrow steeple and the pillars of the awning are decorated with red ribbon.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Howe Lodge No. 430 A.F. & A.M.]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Howe Lodge No. 430 A.F. & A.M. in Howe, Texas. Text: Constituted on June 5, 1875, this lodge was organized in the early Grayson County community of Farmington (5 Mi. SW). Members voted to move the lodge to Howe in 1887, after the earlier settlement was bypassed by the railroad. In Howe, the first lodge hall was constructed above the early Methodist church chapel. Later facilities were built as the lodge grew. Part of its growth came as a result of a merger with the Dorchester Lodge in 1966. Numerous war veterans and civic leaders have been members here. Texas sesquicentennial 1836-1986.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Howe Lodge No. 430 A.F. & A.M.]

Description: Photograph of Howe Lodge No. 430 A.F. & A.M. in Howe, Texas. The lodge is one-story and made out of stone. The entrance has an awning and decorative pillars.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: First Texas Interurban]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for First Texas Interurban in Grayson County, Texas. Text: Electric railways (trolleys) provided convenient travel between many Texas cities for more than forty years. The first interurban line was established in Grayson County, connecting the cities of Sherman and Denison. Founded in 1900 by Fred Fitch and John P. Crerar, the Denison and Sherman Railway began operations on May 1, 1901, with a single 10.5-mile track. The company built a power plant, offices, and a car barn near this site halfway between its passenger stations in the two cities. In order to provide water for the power plant, they built a dam below Tanyard Springs, creating a small lake, named Wood Lake. It provided recreation facilities for passengers on the line's excursion trains. The Texas Traction Company, founded in 1906, began construction of a second interurban line from Dallas to McKinney in 1906. Merged with the Denison and Sherman Railway in 1908. The company expanded its operations, eventually connecting a number of North Texas cities and changing its name to the Texas Electric Railway in 1917. The advent of automobile travel signaled the decline of the Texas interurbans by the 1930s. The last trained passed this site on December 31, 1948, on its route from Denison to Dallas.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Jabez and Harriet Haning]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Jabez and Harriet Haning in Howe, Texas. Text: Jabez Haning (1827-1883) came to Grayson County with his family in 1846. In the 1850s Jabez Haning obtained a grant of 320 acres of land from the Peters Colony. His land was located about nine miles south of the town of Sherman. Harriet Campbell (1834-1880) and Jabez Haning were married in 1854 and established a farm. In 1873 the Houston & Texas Central Railway established a line south of Sherman. The route went through the Haning property, and they donated land for a town site in 1876. The town was named Howe, probably in honor of a railroad official. (1997)
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Jabez Haning's Grave]

Description: Photograph of the tombstone of Jabez Haning in Howe, Texas. The name on the grave reads Jabez Haning, born June 3, 1827 and died April 23, 1883.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Harriet Haning's Grave]

Description: Photograph of the tombstone for Jabez and Harriet Haning in Howe, Texas. The name on the stone reads Harriet Haning, born 1834 and died 1880.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: James Nelson Dickson]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for James Nelson Dickson in Sherman, Texas. Text: Born and educated in Grayson County, James Nelson Dickson began his long association with county government in 1914 as deputy tax assessor. Following a 1930 courthouse fire, he worked to replace destroyed records, including important school bond papers. In 1945, the commissioners court named him to fill an unexpired term as county judge, a position he held through subsequent elections until 1962. Upon retirement, he devoted his efforts to the promotion of local heritage through museums, events, and organizations, and compiled a history of Grayson County schools. Recorded - 2005.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of James Nelson Dickson's Grave]

Description: Photograph of James Nelson and Callie M. Dickson's grave in Sherman, Texas. The stone grave marker is rectangular and has flower decorations in it upper corners. James (identified on the marker as "J. N. (Jim)") was born October 24, 1890 and died April 5, 1986. His wife was born January 15, 1893 and died April 16, 1965. They were married October 19, 1916.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Jesse Elvis Hendricks Log Cabin]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Jesse Elvis Hendricks log cabin in Denison, Texas. Text: A native of Missouri, Jesse Elvis Hendricks (1837-1920) came to Grayson County in 1846. In 1863-64, he built this log home five miles southeast of this site. It was originally a one-room cabin with a loft, but Hendricks and his wife, Susan Matilda (Dumas), added more rooms about 1870 after the birth of their fourth child. The Hendricks' log cabin was moved to this site and restored in 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie