Private Collection of Carolyn West - 316 Matching Results

Search Results

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Judge C. C. Binkley]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Judge C. C. Binkley (January 12, 1826 - March 15, 1886) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Christopher Columbus Binkley came to Texas in 1852 and became a law partner of Sherman's first mayor. He served as district judge from 1870 to 1874 and Republican national committeeman for many years. As a founder and the first President of the Merchants and Planters Bank, Judge Binkley was the financial leader of the county and was considered one of the most trusted and outstanding businessmen of his day. Upon his death, Judge Binkley was acknowledged as Sherman's leading citizen. Recorded - 1997.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Kentucky Town]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Kentucky Town in Whitewright, Texas. Text: When first settled in 1830s was known as Annaliza. Renamed by Kentucky emigrants in 1858. Unique layout gave town protection against Indian attacks. On freight and stage routes. "Sacred Harp," a robust frontier gospel style of singing and composition began here. During Civil War was Quantrill gang rendezvous.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Kidd-Key College and Music Conservatory]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Kidd-Key College and Music Conservatory in Sherman, Texas. Text: Established in 1875 as North Texas Female College, a finishing school for young ladies and operated by North Texas Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Recharted 1919 as a junior college and music conservatory; renamed in memory of the famed educator Mrs. Lucy Ann Kidd-Key, school president, 1888 to 1916. Educational program emphasized music, literature and the fine arts. Through its many students and excellent faculty, Kidd-Key exerted strong cultural influence on the Sherman area as well as much of the nation. (1967)
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Kidd-Key College and Music Conservatory]

Description: Photograph of Kidd-Key College and Music Conservatory in Sherman, Texas. It is a three-story building with a facade of red brick and white stone trim. Arched and rectangular windows of varying sizes appear along the sides of the building. The front of the building, right, has a brick stairway leading up to three double doors topped with white stone arches. Tall white pilasters lead upward from the doors to a triangular stone pediment that bears the words "Municipal Building" and, under that, "Kidd-Key Auditorium."
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Lake Texoma]

Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Lake Texoma in Denison, Texas. Text: Completed 1944, Texoma is today the second largest lake in Texas and the eleventh largest reservoir in capacity in the United States. Its main purposes are flood control, power generation, and recreation. Lake Texoma was promoted largely through the efforts of Sam Rayburn (1882-1961), noted Speaker of the House who represented District 4 in Congress for 49 years. In normal operation, lake shoreline covers 550 miles, with the Red River Arm (45 miles) in Texas and the Washita Arm (30 miles) in Oklahoma. The waters covering 93,080 acres are impounded by Denison Dam. When Texoma was created it caused the relocation of railroads, highways, utilities, and cemeteries. The site of Preston, historically the Red River crossing for the Butterfield Stage, was submerged, as were the sites of Hagerman and part of Cedar Mills, Texas. In 1966 numerous recreation areas on Texoma drew 8,500,000 tourists, who could also visit Eisenhower State Park at the southeast end of the lake. The park was named in honor of Dwight D. Eisenhower, the thirty-fourth president of the United States. Texoma is one of more than 200 major inland lakes and reservoirs in Texas which contribute greatly to the economic and industrial growth of the state. (1968).
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Sherman Little Theatre]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Sherman Little Theater in Sherman, Texas. Text: The Sherman Community Players. In the early 1920s, as the Little Theater movement was developing in Texas, a group of Sherman citizens formed a community theater to present dramatic productions to local audiences. In December 1925, Sherman joined the growing ranks of Texas cities with a little theater group. Architect Rollin M. Rolfe, who served as first president, Austin College professor Francis Emerson and businessman James Fant were instrumental in guiding the organization to its early growth and success. The Sherman Little Theater's first production, "Old Man Minick", debuted in early 1926 with a cast of local citizens. The same year, the group won first place in Texas' first little theater competition in Dallas with the play "Moontide". Producing several plays each year, other than during World War II, and enjoying broad community support, the theater group incorporated in 1950 as the Sherman Community Players. To provide the players with a permanent rehearsal and performance facility, the Finley Playhouse (later the Finley Cultural Center) was built at this site in 1954. By 2000 the Finley Complex included the Honey McGee playhouse. With a permanent venue for its presentations and facilities for a children's program, together with an experienced professional staff, the Sherman Community Players have continued to serve as an integral part of Sherman's cultural life and history. (2001)
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Sherman Little Theatre]

Description: Photograph of Sherman Little Theatre in Sherman, Texas. The building is comprised of red brick, and masonry repairs are visible along its side. There is a sign on the left side of the building that advertises an upcoming production. To the left of this sign is a Texas Historical Marker. To the right is a red door. The words "Finley Playhouse" are spelled out in white lettering on the upper right portion of the structure, just above two small trees.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Lone Star Masonic Lodge No. 403, A.F. & A.M.]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Lone Star Masonic Lodge No. 403, A.F. & A.M. in Denison, Texas. Text: Organized a year after Denison was founded, Lone Star Masonic Lodge was chartered June 6, 1874. Meetings were held in several locations before the construction of this lodge hall. The Northern half of the building was erected in 1900 and the Southern portion in 1915. A bracketed eave dominates the top of the brick structure. The lodge hall was dedicated on the night of Dec. 31, 1915, with ceremonies extending into New Year's Day 1916. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1985.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Marker: Louis Wilmouth]

Description: Photograph of the marker for Louis Wilmouth in Sadler, Texas. Text: A San Jacinto veteran - born in Kentucky, 1806 - died November 11, 1893. His wife Ellen Vittitoe Wilmouth died January 22, 1896.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Lyon House]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Lyon House in Sherman, Texas. Text: Built before 1897, this Victorian house was designed by German-born John Tollouch and occupied by hardware merchant George E. Hardwicke (1855-1923) until 1899. The property was purchased in 1902 by Dupont Lyon (1876-1946). Then an officer in the U.S. Army. He became a dairy farmer and lumberman after settling here, and served as Mayor of Sherman (1913-15). Lyon joined the army again in World War I and attained the rank of Major before retiring in 1932. In the 1930s, Lyon made minor repairs and additions to the house. It was purchased and restored in 1974 by Robert J. Tate.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Photograph of Lyon House]

Description: Photograph of Lyon House in Sherman, Texas. It is a three story Victorian style house of carved wood that has been painted white and trimmed with a dark red color. A brick stairway leads up to the door that sits under a columned arch. A shorter, rounded tower protrudes upward to the right of the arch. A Texas Historical Marker sits on the lawn in front of the building.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Aaron S. Mangum]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Aaron S. Mangum (September 3, 1812 - August 10, 1884) in Sherman, Texas. Text: South Carolinian Aaron Mangum came to Texas with a Georgia battalion in 1835 and served under Colonel James Fannin at Goliad. Mangum took ill during an expeditionary mission and fatefully avoided death at the Goliad Massacre. He married Leonora Snively in 1836 and together they lived in Mississippi and Georgia before moving here to Grayson County about 1869. After his death the town of Mangum, Oklahoma, was named in his honor.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Mame Roberts]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Mame Roberts (August 19, 1883 - December 24, 1976) in Howe, Texas. Text: The daughter of James M. and Martha Sue (Baxter) Roberts, Mame Roberts lived her entire life in or near the community of Howe. Largely self-taught, she worked as a substitute teacher in the lower grades at the Howe public schools in the early 1900s before turning to her life's work-promoting civic improvements and beautification. As the writer of a weekly column in the Howe Messenger, Mame Roberts promoted her hometown and encouraged its beautification. Her campaign to make Howe the "Prettiest Little Town in Texas" motivated other small Texas towns to take similar action. A series of articles in the Dallas Morning News provided step-by-step instructions for carrying out beautification efforts, and she was in great demand as a speaker at garden club gatherings throughout this part of the state. Mame's work attracted the attention of Life magazine and Reader's Digest, and she was named "Woman of the Day" on May 14, 1949, on Eleanor and Anna Roosevelt's National Radio Program. Her leadership positions included: President of the Grayson County Federation of Women's Club; President of the Texoma Redbud Association, which urged the planting of Redbuds along highways in Texas and Oklahoma; and founder and president of the Howe Sesame Club. Her work, which spanned the decades before and after World War II, is a significant part of the civic history of Howe and of all the towns that put her lessons into action.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Mantua Masonic Lodge No. 209, A.F. & A.M.]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Mantua Masonic Lodge No. 209, A.F. & A.M. in Van Alstyne, Texas. Text: The organizational meeting for this masonic lodge was held on Feb. 7, 1857, on the second story of H. N. Walcott's store building in the village of Mantua (2 mi. sw). With District Deputy Grand Master J.J. Harrison officiating, the first meeting was attended by J.M. Enloe, W.A. Portman, J.L. Leslie, W.M. Akens, A.J. McDonough, A.C. White, H.N. Walcott, J.L. Lovejoy, G.W. Strother, and J.S. Stewart. Other charter members of the lodge included younger Scott McKinney, who had laid out the townsite several years earlier, and James W. Throckmorton, who later served as governor of Texas. A two-story lodge building was completed in 1859. The first masons met on the upper floor, while the first story housed a private school, the Mantua Seminary. After Van Alstyne was established on the Houston and Texas Central Railroad in 1872, most of the businesses and other establishments in Mantua, including the masonic lodge, moved to the new town. The lodge members held meetings in various locations until 1898, when they purchased the Carter Building on the town square. In 1976 the lodge moved to its current location. Mantua Masonic Lodge No. 209 has provided valuable service to schools, churches, and needy persons, and remains an important part of the history of this area.
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Sherman Manufacturing Company]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Sherman Manufacturing Company in Sherman, Texas. Text: Sherman Seamless Bag Mill was founded here in 1891, to serve the cotton industry of north central Texas. Elected to Board of Directors on March 18, 1891, were C.A. Andrews, Edward Eastburn, W.C. Eubank, Thomas Forbes, J.F. Jacques, J.C. Jones, Tom Randolph, Z.E. Raney, and J.C. Tassey to serve as chairman. Elegant cornerstone was shipped from Cromwell, Mass. to go into the original structure. Suffering from financial problems during those early years, the plant operated and closed intermittently. Acquired in 1906 by Wellington-Sears Company of New York who added buildings and centered production upon single-filling flat duck, purchased, 1946, by Ely Walker & Company of St. Louis, Missouri; wide sheeting became main product. Merged into Burlington Industries, Inc., 1955. Cornerstone of original building opened 1956. Disclosed old coins, 1891 newspapers, timetable for trains to Indian Territory (now state of Oklahoma). Saloon tokens and menu from Binkley Hotel coffee shop. A portion of the original structure remains as a useful part of this modern plant. Through Burlington's international organization, products made here are sold in market places throughout the world. (1967)
Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie