Private Collection of Jim Bell - 335 Matching Results

Search Results

Veteran's Memorial On South West Courthouse Lawn

Description: Photograph of the Veteran's Memorial on the South west Courthouse lawn. Note the south west corner of the 1896 Denton County Courthouse behind the Veteran's Memorial. There is a corner entrance porch and corner balconies above. The Veteran's Memmorial was designed to blend in with the construction of the 1896 Courthouse.
Date: November 12, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Location Info:

Evers Hardware Company Building South Square

Description: Photograph of the 1913 Evers Hardware Co. building on the south Courthouse Square in downtown Denton, Texas. The name banner at the top of the building indicates dual dates of 1885 and 1913. This building is a 1913 building, Note the sign on the right side of the building.
Date: November 12, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Location Info:

SHSC Historical Marker Central National Road 1844

Description: Photograph of an SHSC (State Historical Survey Committee) marker commemorating the Central National Road started by the Republic of Texas in 1844. The road beagan at the mouth of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, passed through Milam County and downtown Paris, Texas, where this marker is placed at Union Station west of the downtown area. Text of the marker reads: "Central National Road of the Republic of Texas. Designed as a military highway, intended to make linkage with United States military road built to the north of the Red River in the 1820's. This was part of the national effort of Republic of Texas to open a good road system. Congress in 1839 passed a bill for a road east from Washington-on-the-Brazos to the Sabine River; 1841 legislation called for a road from the Nueces to the Red River and another from Austin to Santa Fe, New Mexico. The Central National Road was created in 1844, to reach from mouth of the Elm Fork on the Trinity to Kiomatia Crossing on the Red. It went down a main street in Paris, which was founded in 1844; near its south end was the 1841 John Neely Bryan home, around which the city of Dallas originated. Major George W. Stell surveyed the 130-mile route. Plans called for a road 30 feet wide and a clear of tree stumps over 12 inches high. For each mile of road built (including bridges), grants of 160 acres of public lands were offered. Commissioners were Roland W. Box, Harrison county; James Bradshaw, Nacogdoches County; William M. Williams and Jason Wilson, Lamar County; John Yeary, Fannin County. The route is roughly followed by later roads. (1968)"
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim

Lamar County Courthouse Interior

Description: Photograph of the door to the Commissioner's Courtroom in the Lamar County Courthouse located in downtown Paris, Texas. This image shows a stained-wood door with transom, marble wainscot, and marble floor typical of the architecture in the building. Some woodwork in the courtroom is visible through the glass of the door.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim

[Benches in a Hallway]

Description: Photograph of benches pushed against the wall in the hallway of a building in Paris, Texas. A staircase is visible to the left, and in the background, a man sits on one of the benches. Several evenly spaced lamps hang from the ceiling.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim

[Street on the Square]

Description: Photograph of a street on the square at Paris, Texas. A police car is parked to the right, and stores are visible in the background, including an antique mall, an art gallery, and the Paris Community Theatre.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim