Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[100 Block W. Kolstad]

Description: Photo of the 100 block of W. Kolstad. Houses from the left to right are 119, 117, and 115 W. Kolstad.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

Description: This building is one of the relatively few historic warehouses to survive in Palestine. The building is indicative of how little stylistic ornamentation was applied to buildings that were used for utilitarian purposes. The building does have paired, double-hung windows set within segmented arches and vertical brick piers that define the bays. The Davidson-Pearlstone Grocery Company was in operation at this site for several years following its formation in 1899. In 1904 local businessman Hyman Pearlstone bought the controlling interest and renamed the company. According to local historians, J.T. Sweetman bought an interest in the firm in 1905. The Pearlstone Grocery Company opened in this building in January 1913.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph

[100 E. Brazos - Lamar School]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of Lamar School, located at 100 E. Brazos in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story brick building with a tile roof.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[601 S. May - Dilley Foundry Furnace Building]

Description: Photograph of the south and east sides of the Dilley Foundry Furnace Building located on the 600 block of S. May in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story brick building that housed furnaces for the Dilley foundry; it is surrounded by trees and is overgrown with vegetation.
Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[220 W. Reagan - Grant House]

Description: Photograph of the northwest corner of the "Grant House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 220 W. Reagan (on the corner of W. Reagan and S. May streets) in Palestine, Texas.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[310 E. Crawford - Gatewood Shelton Gin Building]

Description: Photograph of one corner of the "Gatewood-Shelton Gin" building, located at 310 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story metal-clad structure without stylistic ornamentation, that faces north onto E. Crawford Street, just beyond the northern limits of Palestine’s historic downtown
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[201 W. Crawford - Denby Bldg]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Denby Building," located at 201 W. Crawford in downtown Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story brick building, classified as a "Two-Part Commercial Block," that has grouped pivoting windows on the upper floors, and side-facing brickwork in the parapet.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[213 W. Main - Robinson State Bank Building]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Robinson State Bank Building" located at 213 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. The building is made of red brick with Romanesque Revival detailing and is classified as a One-Part Commercial Block. It has a rectangular plan with load-bearing masonry construction, a 3-bay façade that displays elaborate brickwork, a large round archway marking the primary entrance, and a stepped, 3-part parapet with corbelling. A neon sign near the entrance says "Rushing Jewelers, Home of Lucky Forever Diamond Rings."
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[401 W. Main - G. E. Dilley Building]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Dilley Building," a two-story, brick building located at 401 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. It has a rectangular plan and load-bearing masonry walls with Victorian Italianate-style details, including an elaborately detailed parapet on the façade and the segmental-arched hoodmolds on the second floors of the south and east elevations. It is classified as a Two-Part Commercial Block building, and is part of Palestine’s central business district.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[J. T. Alldredge]

Description: J.T. Alldredge was elected Mayor of Palestine in 1967 and continued in that office until 1969.
Date: 1967
Item Type: Photograph

[Andrew L. Bowers]

Description: Andrew L. Bowers was born in 1852 in North Carolina. Upon moving to Texas, his first job was as a day laborer on an iron bridge at Columbus, TX. He was eighteen years of age. At nineteen he was promoted to foreman, with the Delaware Bridge Company. Afterward, he worked for the railroads, steadily climbing their ranks until he reached the position of Superintendent of Construction for the Northwest division, covering the area from Spring to Fort Worth. He eventually left the railroad, resigning to look after his investments. He became interested in the Salt Works of Palestine, helping to develop that important new enterprise and serving as its first president. He married Nellie O’Connell, on May 31, 1882 in Corsicana. They were the parents of five children: Irene, Mabel, Andrew Jr., Willie, and Bernard. In 1890, the need for a Building and Loan Association became acute in this section, and Mr. Bowers, along with several others, organized the Mechanics’ Building and Loan Association. This was one of the earliest organizations of the kind in the state of Texas. In 1906 he bought from Governor Thomas M. Campbell, a controlling interest in the Palestine National Bank and was made president. But he was not constituted for indoor work; the open spaces called him and he retired from banking after a signally successful connection of seven years. Mr. Bowers was a large property owner, his holdings comprising, notably, a large number of business houses in various Texas cities. He served three terms as Mayor of Palestine, being first elected in 1897 and serving until 1907 and then re-elected in 1909 and serving until 1915. He was once again elected in 1919 and served until 1923. Achievements of his regime included: paving of streets, erection of substantial brick school buildings, fire station ...
Date: 1897
Item Type: Photograph

[Gideon Gooch]

Description: Gideon Johnson Gooch was born on April 3, 1844 and served as Mayor of Palestine from 1872 until 1873. He died on January 31, 1906 and is buried in the East Hill Section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Date: 1872
Item Type: Photograph

[John Henry Handorf]

Description: A native of Anderson County, John Henry Handorf was born on September 9, 1887, a son of John and Melissa (Milton) Handorf. He was educated in the public schools of Anderson County and after leaving school he came to Palestine and married Miss Dora Martin, the daughter of Walter and Alice Martin, on April 13, 1913. Over the next several years he worked at several companies, including a year for the I&GN Railroad, and then he went to work as foreman for the Palestine Water Works. He climbed their ranks and in 1917 was made superintendent of the plant, a position he held until 1933, when he was elected a member of the board of commissioners for the City of Palestine. After the death of Mayor Steven E. Reed in November 1934, Mr. Handorf stepped in and served out his term. He was re-elected as Mayor without opposition and served until 1939. He died on July 14, 1939 and is buried in the New Addition Annex section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Date: 1935
Item Type: Photograph

[John Randolph Hearne]

Description: John Randolph Hearne, son of Texas pioneers Columbus Calamicus Hearne and wife Mary Ellen Gilmer, was born July 15, 1854 in Wheelock, Robinson County, TX. Educated in the schools of his native county, he later attended Washington and Lee University in Lexington, VA. He returned to Texas in 1871, soon thereafter moving to Palestine, first engaging in the drug business which he followed for many years. Later he sold this business and moved to Dallas, becoming a very successful businessman. The first electric lights in Dallas were installed in his business downtown. Mr. Hearne later sold this business and moved back to Palestine where he was engaged in the hardware business, and at the time of his death was head of the Palestine Hardware Co. Mr. Hearne invested quite extensively in real estate in Palestine. A prominent businessman, he was instrumental in helping to organize the Palestine National Bank, which later merged with one of the existing banks and he was elected Vice-President of this bank. He was President of the Palestine Board of Trade, and also President of the Royall National Bank. He was Mayor of Palestine from 1907 to 1909 and during his administration Oak Street and Avenue A were the first streets to be paved. Mr. Hearne was described as a man of unselfish interest in public affairs. John Randolph Hearne was married to Miss Emma Sophronia Howard, daughter of Col. And Mrs. George Robert Howard, and to this union three children were born. He died at his home at 503 Hodges Street on February 10, 1930 and is buried in the East Hill section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Date: 1907
Item Type: Photograph