Palestine Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Jane Pells]

Description: Photograph of Jane Pells. This photo was included in the Pells-Trotter collection of photos and memorabilia which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1887
Creator: Bailey Photography

[Dr. George Howard and two Unidentified Men]

Description: (back of photo) "Nat" (This "Nat" is in my mother's (Mamie Rollins Blackshear's handwriting - W.S.B.) Center one is my distant cousin Dr. George Howard, brother to Mrs. John Hearne. Who are the two on each side? W.S. Blackshear - Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: unknown
Creator: Bailey, F.B.

[The Willie Milligan Family]

Description: This is a photograph of Willie and Laura Milligan and their son. He was the son of the sister of Jim Conaway. It was found among the papers of the Conaway family that were donated to the Palestine Public Library some years ago. Photo was taken by Edward Boddy, 42 Oak Street, Palestine, TX.
Date: unknown
Creator: Boddy, Edward

[Major Alfred Morris Jr.]

Description: Taken by Lt. Geo. L. Forward of Texarkana, Ark. at the Liba Staging area, Philippines, December 1945, of Maj. Alfred Morris, Jr. sun bathing. From the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: December 1945
Creator: Forward, George L.

[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

Description: This building is one of the relatively few historic warehouses to survive in Palestine. The building is indicative of how little stylistic ornamentation was applied to buildings that were used for utilitarian purposes. The building does have paired, double-hung windows set within segmented arches and vertical brick piers that define the bays. The Davidson-Pearlstone Grocery Company was in operation at this site for several years following its formation in 1899. In 1904 local businessman Hyman Pearlstone bought the controlling interest and renamed the company. According to local historians, J.T. Sweetman bought an interest in the firm in 1905. The Pearlstone Grocery Company opened in this building in January 1913.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt

[201 W. Crawford - Denby Bldg]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Denby Building," located at 201 W. Crawford in downtown Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story brick building, classified as a "Two-Part Commercial Block," that has grouped pivoting windows on the upper floors, and side-facing brickwork in the parapet.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[213 W. Main - Robinson State Bank Building]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Robinson State Bank Building" located at 213 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. The building is made of red brick with Romanesque Revival detailing and is classified as a One-Part Commercial Block. It has a rectangular plan with load-bearing masonry construction, a 3-bay façade that displays elaborate brickwork, a large round archway marking the primary entrance, and a stepped, 3-part parapet with corbelling. A neon sign near the entrance says "Rushing Jewelers, Home of Lucky Forever Diamond Rings."
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[310 E. Crawford - Gatewood Shelton Gin Building]

Description: Photograph of one corner of the "Gatewood-Shelton Gin" building, located at 310 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story metal-clad structure without stylistic ornamentation, that faces north onto E. Crawford Street, just beyond the northern limits of Palestine’s historic downtown
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info:

[401 W. Main - G. E. Dilley Building]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Dilley Building," a two-story, brick building located at 401 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. It has a rectangular plan and load-bearing masonry walls with Victorian Italianate-style details, including an elaborately detailed parapet on the façade and the segmental-arched hoodmolds on the second floors of the south and east elevations. It is classified as a Two-Part Commercial Block building, and is part of Palestine’s central business district.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Location Info: